My Recent Experience With Diabetes, Metformin And Youtube

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Thomas Windom, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been drinking a lot more water to thin the blood and it really has helped. I read a few weeks ago that it flushes the sugar out of the veins. I just have to drink most of it in the am, so it doesn't keep me up at night making bathroom calls.
    I seldom eat bread and exercise but I'm also a very skinny person now. Not good as you grow old to lose so much weight, I'm down to 110 a couple days ago. I was between 140-150 lb.s.several years ago. Been diabetic for over 15 years.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is somewhat what they do now, but for years they resisted using A1c for screening. They used fasting and 2hr PP sugar as a screen instead of A1c

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My only 'gripe' .... with this type of advise is that it assumes everyone can go for a walk. If they just keep promoting the simple walk/movement solution ... My concern is that it may slow research into improved medications & supplements . There is no 'one-thing' for everyone.

Marie Mallery and Thomas Windom like this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, there is not, so many different approaches are needed. This is just one more. I have lingering leg problems because I waited so long for spinal surgery. I had tried 1 mile walks in our hilly neighborhood but it was just too uncomfortable. These short 10 minutes walks I can do right in the house and are obviously working. I’m still at it so I’m hoping about 5 months from now to be able to post another decline. If so, I’m going to ask for my Metformin prescription to be reduced. Fingers crossed.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I totally agree with you about the house walking , @Thomas Windom ! Because of balance issues, it is hard for me to walk outside, and going for a longer walk at one time would wear me out too much right now.
    My Apple Watch prompts me to walk each hour, so I walk back and forth through the house just like you do. This way, I don’t have an obstacle course like I do walking outside, and if I get too tired, I can sit back down and rest and then walk more again.

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

This is true too, I've been doing most of my walk inside last few days, it's too cold here now but today it warms back up some.
    I do understand everyone can't walk outside though. If I live long enough, I won't be able to walk trails either.

Either way it is good to move if we can inside or outside are both good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

hey Thomas, did you lower your carb intake at all during your time having T2? I've been curious for some time whether or not I can try a bit more carbs in my diet as I've been pretty strict Keto for my first 2 years after diagnosis.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

So you aren't aware of other tests that are better for T2 Diabetes Don? I never heard this before, but I can tell you I am busting my "you know what" for 2 years and lost 30 lbs, feel better in a ton of ways, but I wonder if I could have a few more carbs (not sugar, don't even want that) like fruits like cantaloupe, maybe some mashed potatoes. I mean I've been scared to even try.

I eat about 20-30 grams of carbs a day but I know others on my diabetic forum (many using metformin or whatever) that eat quite a few carbs and claim to have lost a lot of weight as well. They do check my D in my labs, since 2018, as well. I've just been told to avoid foods that turn into sugar, and I've also learned about Metabolic syndrome, or, insulin resistance, and becoming insulin sensitive which is the preferred.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

I did this after dinner about 5 or more times a week in the Summer, but I have an apartment with a good walkway that goes full circle I can use even when it's pouring rain out so I'm starting this. I don't know if I can do it after every meal, but I can at least start with after dinner. It sure wouldn't surprise me because my weighloss sky-rocketed 2 months into Keto when I added regular walking but I'll look back at past results of A1c's ;)

10. Thomas Windom

Registered

No, actually, it was right around the start of the holidays that I started doing this so, if anything, I was chowing down more than usual, on pretty much everything. I was just hoping to see my A1C hold steady, not expecting a decrease because I wasn’t really watching my diet, so a drop that big completely floored me. I had been in a workout routine prior to that but stopped because we were both having a rough time (one of our kitties, a daily companion of 15 years, developed congestive heart failure). I plan to start my exercise regimen back up again within the next month.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

What 2 hour PP Don? Does that stand for the finger-prick (hate that, but got so good at it hardly felt it).

12. Thomas Windom

Registered

I think he’s talking about measuring sugar in a urine sample. :D

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, I guess that makes sense. I didn't know there was that sort of test but I like that idea rather than poking my fingers!!

14. Denise Evans

Registered

Good for you and wife as I was just talking on my other forum about this videos emphasis on moving and not sitting on my butt too long, like I've been this a.m. online ;) I am sorry about your kitty. I have a little dog and I'm hoping for the best as I am strict about her diet as well.

15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A 2 hour post prandial sugar is measure your blood sugar (usually by venipuncture) 2 hours after a meal containing about 100 grams of carbohydrate. It was the old standard screening method. If you had an abnormal 2 hr, then they would do a glucose tolerance test to see how bad your problem was--usually 3 hour if it was high and 5 hr if it was low. I don't know if they do any of that now. I have been away for a while. The only remnant I have heard about is the "O'Sullivan screen" which was a smaller glucose load in pregnant women to screen for potential gestational diabetes. The urine sugar mentioned by @Thomas Windom has been a qualitative test for a long time. It is still done routinely with almost every urinalysis, but it is affected by something called the "renal threshold" and may give misleading results in some people.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.