My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Mary, if you google "what is erterg shop", it appears to be a scam and not associated with Amazon. Please be careful with your credit card.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From the ad: Foldable Outdoor electric bike✨

If you're taking up a collection, I'd prefer the indoor version. ;) And did you notice there is the base "Can travel up to [meaning no more than] 75-90 miles" model, and an upgraded "Can travel up to [no more than] 150-180 miles" model for a $5 upcharge.

I'll kick in the extra $5. I'd just like to see a pic of one with an adult sitting on it. I have a feeling it would be a knees-to-the-chin while balancing on a Coke bottle experience.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank your for taking care of me.:rolleyes:
    I ordered mine from a different company that said it would take quite a while to get and 'some assembly required'.
    I have a very low limit on my credit card for foolishness. Generally I buy groceries and pay all each month. If I want to make a bigger purchase, I pay the card in advance so no hassle, penalties or interest.
    The model I ordered is a wide tire 'grown up' looking bike. John's is knee to the chin.

4. Mary Stetler

Registered

Yup, that's what I ordered for you.

5. John Brunner

You are my new best friend.

I asked for the high mileage one so you'd only have to make half as many pit stops when you drive it out here for me. :cool:

6. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So hot outside I don't think I could ride a bike even if it were powered. I know at some point I am going to have to go out there and work on my Truck. I think the cats have climbed around on my vacuum hose to my transmission modulator and the shift has become very long, normally it shifts really smooth and no delay at all. I will probably just take a fast look and see if it is still attached to the modulator and go from there. I am really getting slow lately with my knees hurting so bad.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

I'm right there with you regarding work that needs to be done, but heat aversion is in the way.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

It will take twice as long for me to get it to you with only one leg for times when I run out of battery--pedaling with one leg is like clapping with one hand.

9. John Brunner

Here's a YouTube video of that model, Kate. Right at the 1:00 mark the woman attaches an accessory hose for a vacuum canister.

That sure looks like the right port for these Mason jar sealers. I have some of those exact same canisters, but that hose end in the video is a different color than mine, which is grey. I cannot imagine they'd make different diameters for our respective markets, but the Australian FoodSaver website does not have an Accessories page for me to get details.

This is one thing I detest about FoodSaver. They are always changing things up, and not for the better. They get dry goods canisters and fruit & veggie canisters that work, and then F.S. discontinues them and it's off to EBay I go. But there are only two hose styles for the entire life of the product line, and the one on the COSTCO unit is the same style as the Mason jar connector. (You do NOT want a F.S. vacuum sealer where the circle around the port is green.)

I gotta believe that hose will fit. Were you gonna buy the Mason jar adapters on an Australian website?

Kate Ellery likes this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

More then likely look at Amazon for the mason attachments @John Brunner they have a sale on starting tomorrow July 11th
    Monday 10th today :):D but I’m not 100% sure of it’s only for Amazon prime members which…. I’m not

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Yeh, I don't do Prime, either.

Have you looked for these attachments there? All I see on Amazon Australia are the attachments in a kit with a hand pump for $65. I don't see just the attachments meant for use with a machine.

EBay Australia has them. Here's a set of 2 (large & small) with the hose for $17.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Ordered this one @John Brunner now to look for the machine with good reviews

This seller has better reviews than allot have

IMG_4890.jpeg

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Good idea looking at Seller Reviews, Kate.

When looking for machines, make sure to get one without the green port ring, because it takes a different type of hose end (and the green hose ends have a very high failure rate):
    Vacuum Sealer Green Port.jpg
    If the green port is all you can find, I have tips for reducing the failure rate of the accessory hose connector.

Keep in mind that the machines with the built-in canister/bag sealer do not have a separate port to plug the jar sealer accessory hose into:
    Vacuum sealer built in adapter.jpg
    The cap of that canister/bag sealer comes off and there's a plug on it to use with the Mason jar sealers, but there's a very high failure rate if you remove/reinstall the cap too many times.

If you get a machine without the built-in canister/bag sealer (meaning it has a port to plug your own hose into), the only Food Saver adapter style you would be lacking is this one. It costs $3 USD.

Vacuum Sealer canister adapter 2.jpg
    This canister/bag sealer is used for the current model vacuum canisters, and for vacuum seal Ziploc bags (which are a waste of money.) Buy more than one if you have a need, because after extensive use the green seal on the bottom wears thin, and the little nipple on the top can chip...and they're cheap.

There is another plug-in version of this canister/bag sealer that's identical to the built-in one. This style keeps moisture from being drawn into the machine (I've never had that issue), but currently Food Saver only carries it for use with the green port adapter, as evidenced by the green plug:

Vacuum Sealer canister adapter 1.jpg

They might be available on Ebay, etc. with the old style plug. I have one of these and I never use it...I use the $3 one.

Since I'm chewing up forum bandwidth, I'll put this out there as well...

They make vacuum seal bottle stoppers. I cook with a variety of wines but I don't drink it, so I use these to extend its storage life:

Vacuum Seal Bottle Stoppers.jpg

$12 USD for the set of 3. If nothing else, it beats repeated cycles of shoving the cork back in and removing it...and they don't leak.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Kate Ellery likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kate Ellery -- I would have suggested buying your vacuum sealer machine first. Many models of the FoodSaver come with the accessory kit; mine did.

Kate Ellery and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

The ones I purchased early on came with a whole bunch of stuff, but more recently I've not received anything but a few bags and the adapter hose.

I just looked on Foodsaver's AU website. They offer 6 of the machines. None of them come with anything other than sample bags & a hose. Cheap ba$tards.

@Kate Ellery This reminds me...even when Foodsaver runs a BOGO sale, generic vacuum seal bags are still cheaper on Amazon and Walmart. My experience is that the merchants that sell these bags have a presence on both websites. Their prices on each site are a little different, I assume to reflect the different fees that Amazon & Walmart levy on their "partners."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Kate Ellery likes this.