My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I ran it through some pretty tough paces today. I carried it with me as I was on my tractor cutting the acreage. I sawed off a whole lot of really thick branches on a bunch of trees that had either intruded into the yard from the wood edge, or were on trees in the middle of the yard and had grown into my path of travel.

I am highly impressed. The battery feels very light compared to the ones for my Makita drills, yet I've sawed a bunch of stuff and it's not slowed down at all. I am still on the initial charge of the first battery.

This is real handy because it's small enough to carry on the tractor and I can cut the limbs that I've not felt like getting the gas chain saw out for or that I've felt like manually sawing. There were a bunch that I've just dealt with by ducking under for a long time, and are now gone. It's gonna be a big help for some of the thicker kindling this heating season.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Glad it worked out for ya John.
    I too have cut some stuff that it might not even be made for like 2x4’s, 6’s and 4x4’s and it keeps on working.
    I’m on my 2nd chain though because I hit a *&^%$# nail that was buried in a tree limb but thus far, I’m highly impressed with the chains too.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

I have an electronic thermometer transmitter/receiver set for my wood stove:

[​IMG]

It's not really made for soapstone stoves so I improvise with the sensor made for cast iron stoves. I fired up my stove last night for the first time this year, and in the middle of the night the cable at the sensor started to flake out, so I ordered a new sensor:

[​IMG]

I can get it to work if I position the cable just right so that it makes good contact, but I really rely on this so decided to order a spare. If the original becomes unusable, I may take it apart to see if I can fix it. The issue is merely a physical connection problem, but I can't solder it because the high temps of the stove are well above the melting point of the solder. It must be crimped somehow...

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Silver solder and map gas?
    Not sure what the contact point is but depending on the type of silver solder, it melts between 1100 or so to 1500 F.

That said, I have a lot of different crimpers and it seems that the go-to one is my coax cable crimping tool. I use it for stuff it’s not even designed to do.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

Silver solder might be a good idea. I've not taken the thing apart yet...I'll wait for the new one to arrive. I'm sure it's crimped and not soldered; otherwise, the connection would still be good. I leave the thing set up year round and it just sits on the stove without being moved, so there's never any stress applied to the connection. We'll see when I get it apart.

My favorite crimp tool is one that does the various diameter ferrules for electric fencing and dog run cables, but that might be overkill. I have a tool that's used for stripping & crimping wire for install car stereos & stuff like that.

VACO tool.jpg

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Picked up a new Ring floodlight camera for the driveway and a new Ring doorbell camera to replace one that's 4 years old. The new technology videos are so much sharper and clearer, plus they have new notification sounds. :D I picked the "Barking Dogs" notification because I'm easily amused.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Let’s see.
    Hydraulic fluid for the floor jack. Check. Fixed the jack today. Had to fix the jack before I can fix the Ford Ranger.

A case of paint rollers just in case I want to paint something. Check. I got ‘em but I’m not inclined to paint something right now. Frankly, I’m not sure what a something looks like but when I find one, I’ll have a roller to paint it with.

New poly something or other tires for my bandsaw. Check. Had to modify the tires but the saw works great now.

Rust remover/ soak so I can clean and store Yvonnes garden tools. check. One tool is now rust free. About 20 to go.

New A/C unit for the bedroom. check. Got it two weeks ago and it’s still working. For the price, it had best make it through winter and then some.

New note pads coming tomorrow. I ordered them just in case I want to write about the something I intend to paint.
    I ordered some sweat pants today for winter. I’m wearing my last pair now and it has a big hole on the right butt cheek portion. Caught it on the head of a nail when I was scooting around doing whatever it was I was doing.
    I’ll probably order another transmission filter for the Ranger now that I fixed the floor jack.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

The reusable paper towels are very good. The box 50 will outlast my life time:D

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

So I've been doing all natural hairstyle thing this year. I purchased several hair products for hair styling from Amazon.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s a charitable thing to do. Gotta help feed the slave kids who make $200 tennis shoes.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

G, I have to ask... how are these different from a "dish towel?" :D:D

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

to me they are not any different. Each sheet is size of a paper towel. They are used like paper towels, but you can wash them. I guess i got caught up in the moment ..lolo so excited to find something I could afford to buy moment:D
    I have cut way back on paper towels. Also being a light gray they do not show stains like a dish towel would.

14. John Brunner

It was real easy removing the retaining C clip and pulling the sensor out of the magnet, but there was no way to get into the sealed unit. I sent the company an email and have placed an order for the corded sensor assembly so I can install it into the magnet. This will give me a backup assembly for less than half the cost of a new one...and the current version has a strain relief on it, so I suspect there have been issues like the one I had.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sennheiser Wireless Headphone System for the better half. His old ones finally wore out after 9 years of non-stop Fox News.
    upload_2023-10-30_20-14-14.jpeg