My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The ophthalmologist wanted to sell me some warming pads for my eyes. He said that the oil ducts are probably clogged hence allowing my eyes to dry which affects my vision.
    Okay, says I, but the price tag for a box of pads (30) was 45 beans so I told them to hold off on that and maybe I’ll get a box when my glasses are ready.

Long story short, I did a little research and bought a heated face mask that does the same thing as the one shot pads.
    There are 3 levels of heat and to tell the truth, putting the thing on whilst I’m kicking back is a really nice experience.
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    Note: Yvonne liked the idea so she ordered a different one that was rechargable instead of the usb corded one I got. When she received hers it turned out to get too hot even on the lowest setting so she sent hers back which makes us a one mask family.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Those wireless headphones are great!! We have been using them for about a decade too.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bought a space heater, a book on Baofeng radios, Nattokinase, and misc supplements from Amazon. In the process I discovered that the prebiotics I love so much have been discontinued and replaced with a vegan version of the same brand that does not have the same ingredients as the original.

I don't know how I'll find an equivalent, since the missing ingredient is the predominant one, and is generically referred to as "Prebiotic Fiber Complex" (1,400mg) in addition to the separately cited XOS (930mg) and GOS (1,000mg). I sent them an email many months ago asking about this ingredient and never received a reply. dammit

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I am switching to iherb or vitaminlife for supplements if not from an actual manufacturer.
    Too many reports of counterfeit stuff on amazon. And they are getting more expensive and tricky about not using prime.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Those are cool. I wanna hear if they drive you nuts with false alarms from critters.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Registered

If I had them at the farm, maybe I could fill the freezer. But today I was trying to pull the plug while my hubby was leaf blowing on the deck.:mad:

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

This is from the product webpage:

deer fart.jpg

Tell him the sensor thought he was a deer fart.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, after much thought about it and after consulting with the queen, I broke down and did a Lon Tanner; I bought a bidet.
    I figured that even though Yvonne orders TP by the case, if there’s another scare down the road it might be nice not to worry.
    Also, since digestive systems seem to get crankier as we grow older, it might be nice to be able to localize the cleanup instead of having to disrobe and get into the shower or use 1000 sheets of TP.

I’m not sure if it was the same product as mine but a review I read said that he only spent 15 minutes installing the thing. It took me nearly 2 hours but it works.
    It’s hot and cold and has a battery powered digital readout of the water temp. Do note though that there’s a position on the control knob that allows the water to simply spill into the commode until the desired temperature is achieved so that one’s rectum doesn’t lock up and recede into the depths by being hit with cold water from cold pipes after a cold night.

The thing does have two individual jets for obvious reasons with the rear end jet not only strong enough to do the job but comes close to washing the interior as well as the exterior.

To be truthful, there was a lot of trial and many errors whilst trying to figure out what does what once the thing is properly installed. Still, Chinglish or not, I figured it out and did explain it to the Lady of the House.
    Alas, since she hasn’t come out of the bathroom with a near curse on her lips or asked any questions, I doubt seriously if she’s gotten up the nerve to try it but I have….several times and to quote the beatniks of yesteryears, “It’s a Gas”!
    IMG_0043.jpeg

Do Note: I was willing to try the thing for the $40 but not gutsy enough to spend what they’re asking for on the bottom right of the ad.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

OK, I will be indelicate.
    I have had a small pitcher sitting on the back of my toilet for a long time. Not since before bidets in the US, as I remember Crocodile Dundee mentioning one, but a long time. I have dilute liquid soap in a foaming dispenser and a vanity right next to the toilet.
    I am glad.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

nano.png

Thus far, I have not had good luck with any Linux OS, but I like to have the OS around to play with. Years ago, I tried installing Ubuntu on a perfectly good Gateway PC. After we closed our Internet Cafe, we had eight Gateways that were only a year and a half old, plus we had our own Macs, so we didn't need them. We gave a couple of them away, but the others are stored in our library.

Anyhow, trying to install Ubuntu on one of the Gateways, it froze up mid-installation and has been useless since. It boots up to the Ubuntu logo but never goes any further.

Since then, I have bought a few refurbished PCs with various versions of Linux (Ubuntu, Mint) installed, but neither lasted more than a few months before crashing. I don't know if the problem is with the OS or the cheap computers that it comes installed on.

Since I don't need another computer, I don't feel like buying a new computer, and it's hard to find affordable new computers with any version of Linux preinstalled. I don't feel like crashing another computer trying to install Linux, so I am trying another refurbished computer with Ubuntu installed.

It's a mini PC, so it will fit on my desk without taking up a lot of real estate. Rather than having two monitors hooked up to my Mac Mini, I'll connect the second monitor to this one instead and use that to display stuff that I'm using as a resource. That will work until it crashes, and I paid just over $100 for it, so it won't be the end of the world.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Too many USA made garments, shoes, and hats to mention, but just recently I received my alpaca hat and gloves from an Alpaca place, Golden Touch naturals, in Maine where they do the entire process. Their prices are very reasonable. I put the hat and gloves to the test this morning and was surprised how warm they were and that alpaca wool is not irritating like other wools.

cablebeanie-grey_x2_x800_1rsd-qd.jpg all-terrain-grey-800_opt.jpg

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

In the UP of Michigan, we called that kind of hat a chook, which is probably a derivative of touque or tuque in Canada. They call them beanies here in Maine, although I'm unsure where that comes from. That's my choice of hat for the winter, and yes, alpaca wool is terrific.

14. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

I buy some disposable steam eye masks that I use when my eyes are sore, and they seem to help when I need them to, but I don't need them often. They are relaxing, but I'd prefer they didn't get as hot as they get. I have to take them off of my eyes now and then because they are too hot.

Bobby Cole likes this.