My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yay! A new Project With Von. :D

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe that is the most sturdy built dresser I've ever seen. I love it. Two people could tap dance on top and it wouldn't move. How did you come by it?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It was on the curb along with some other furniture near my son's house. There is a post about it somewhere. It's a desk and heavy as all get-out.

4. Nancy Hart

Registered

I'm getting even more gun shy about ordering online now.

I really want this thing for the kitchen. It is heavy duty solid wood made in the USA up north. It is very expensive, but I would probably buy it in a minute if it were in a brick-and-mortar store in town.

upload_2023-12-9_10-38-52.png

The shipping is almost as much as the cost. Even all that I could live with. But what if it comes damaged in shipping? .. I wish they would sell it unassembled.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I really like that. My trash can sits on the bottom of a free-standing rack I built to hold it and the microwave and convection oven. There's not a lot of clearance between the trash can and the shelf above it, so it's kind of awkward, but I have a small kitchen so that stuff needs to be stacked. If I had the space, I'd get something like that to fit under the cabinet.

I'm sure you've looked online and at the local Lowes/Home Depot, but that looks like a nice unit. Personally, I don't mind splurging on stuff for my home every once in a while, since I spend so much time here and I don't go out spending money all that often. When I moved in, I dropped over $1,000 on a retractable over-the-range hood with a roof mounted external fan. I bought it at an appliance specialty shop. I get tons of use out of it, and it is a home improvement:

Range Hood Combo.jpg
    I could have gone cheaper (or done without), but I spend a lot of time at home. Not only did I save money by installing it myself, there are lots of other repairs & improvements I've done myself. So in the grand scheme of things, I'm still ahead. Or so goes the rationalization. ;)

So I'm not trying to talk you into it.....but it is Christmas.
    Have you looked at reviews to see if others have experienced shipping issues?

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

Love your cabinets. Nice looking exhaust fan. You did a good job.

I have this long narrow kitchen, and an ugly plastic trash can was just sitting at one end of a long string of cabinets/appliances. I got tired of walking to the end to put every little thing in the trash, and sat the trash can on the empty wall behind the counter one day. It's been so much handier there. This thing should fit well there.

Yes, a couple of reviews said the corner had split out at the bottom. It would be hard to pack that thing to avoid damage if it was dropped from a distance on a corner. It's heavy.

7. John Brunner

Thanks. There used to be a microwave there. The most difficult part (besides running the duct) was cutting a hole in the roof for the fan.

Exhaust Fan.jpg

I do NOT like cutting holes in my roof.

That just sounds like you'd be inviting an expensive aggravation into your life. There are lower-end options from Lowes (narrow end cabinets with a roll-out trash can holder.) I wish I had room for one of them, but smaller kitchens are easier to work in, since everything is "right there." One of the women on America's Test Kitchen was making that observation. And I also like a larger trash can.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Man, I love that hood, @John Brunner! Did you install yourself or have it done professionally?

I guess from a further post you did it yourself. My hood goes through the outside wall, not the roof, for the same reason you stated, but my roof is over 20 feet up, and I have developed an aversion to roof climbing since the "great fall".

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

It's a very nice Braun. I liked the idea of the hood retracting (sits flush with the cabinet) when it's not in use. It has a timer that keeps the fan running for 10 minutes at the current speed, then shuts itself off.

I bought it when I first moved in, then installed it when I retired 4 years later. I put a heavy drop cloth over the stove, then some 4x4s, then put a hydraulic jack on top of the lumber, then lowered the microwave on it. I reversed the action to jack up the hood assembly into place.

171reduced.jpg

The job was made slightly easier because electrical was already there from the microwave. The fan is 650cfm. I could have gotten a 900cfm fan, but the air in the small room gets exchanged in less than a minute with the 650cfm.

Later on (after much head-scratching) I designed a pot rack that does not penetrate the cabinets. The uprights are held by L brackets on the bottom, and the crosspiece is long enough so it kind of wedges things into place without marring the cabinets. There are 2 screw holes drilled through the bottom shelf of the left and the right cabinets to hold things in place. Shelf liner hides them.

It's been there for about 10 years now.

176 Reduced.jpg

The tile work is mine, too (I did not do a good job of filling/leveling the wall above the stove.) I almost messed myself up by buying the tile on sale long before I did the project, and then I ran short. When I went back to get another box, the tile store had it marked down because they were discontinuing it. I got lucky.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Almost all made of MDF. I'd be happy with one that fit the standard 13 gallons trash bags. No room to spare rolling out.

Will keep looking. At least one might find something ordered through the store, so you could check it before bringing it home. That will keep me busy this weekend.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you have the space, you can buy one of those "trash can drawer" slides and make your own door to blend with the cabinets. That is what I did when we took out an old trash compactor. When we redid the kitchen, however, the new cabinets had the drawer built in.

John Brunner and Nancy Hart like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's often a deal-breaker for me. I'd be more likely to buy something if they charged twice as much and shipped free than to buy something where the shipping doubled the price.

Andrea Lindsey and Don Alaska like this.
  13. John Brunner

I bought one of the Kindle Fires that @Ken Anderson recommended. I also bought touch-up paint for my truck (don't ask) and the vacuum seal bags that @Beth Gallagher recommended.

Once again, this forum needs to set up an Amazon referral link so we can churn some of these purchases back into out coffers.

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Wayfair does that. Prices are way higher than most sites. Then they advertise shipping is free. At least they used to on TV a lot.

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant from Autozone