My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Potting soil for African violets. Planters for African violets. A used camera. Bird seed. I forgot what else.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I bought some supplements/prebiotics/probiotics, diastatic malt powder (for baking bread), chicory, and pistachios. I usually buy a large container of diastatic malt powder because it's cheaper-per-ounce, and 90% ends up wasted. So this time I treated myself to a smaller container of the high-end King Arthur brand. It seems to be the gold standard. I'm putting off making Italian bread until it arrives.

I was bouncing back & forth between Walmart and Amazon comparing prices, which I don't always do. I saved $40 just on 2 products ($10 on pistachios and $30 on probiotics.) I really gotta comparison shop more often.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Walmart and Amazon are very competitive on pricing I think but Amazon has a larger source of products along with quantity for comparison. That's when decisions like you made @John Brunner come into play. Good call.;)

4. John Brunner

Exactly right, Von. I take a wide variety of supplements and keep track of which had the better price at my most recent purchase. There are about 10 things I take where Walmart has been less expensive, to varying degree. I was only looking at both websites this time because I was replenishing several supplements, so thought I'd update my price comparison. But absent buying supplements, I usually just go to Amazon because of their deep selection.

The downside to Amazon's "deep selection" is you'll find pages of the exact same item with the exact same picture from a bunch of [apparently] different sellers. I'd like to see the ability to show each item just one time in Search Results. Then when I find which one I want to buy, I can shop for price (although I suspect many sellers are the same guy with multiple Amazon accounts.)

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I also check the estimated time of delivery and Walmart comes in first place with 2 and 3 day delivery.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I seldom buy supplements, but Costco has a nice selection and their Kirkland brand is always top quality. You can shop from Costco.com without a membership but you pay a 5% upcharge. They usually ship fast; I buy k-cups and a few other items from them. https://www.costco.com/vitamins-herbals-dietary-supplements.html

7. John Brunner

I never thought of looking at COSTCO. Thanks!

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I ordered knitting needles at the end of December, and they looked like they came all of the way to Huntsville, and then got lost. Amazon finally said that if they didn’t get here yesterday, they would give me a refund today.
    Well, now USPS can’t even find that tracking number to see where it went. I am beginning to think that there is some kind of a scam where it looks like the order was shipped, but it never arrives (just like my missing fruitcake did), and then they can’t even find that tracking number at all. Somehow, maybe they can create the tracking number like it was shipped, but nothing is ever sent.
    Anyway, Amazon is refunding my payment, and now I am going to look for knitting needles to order again.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Everything I have seen from Costco is USP certified, which should mean it contains what it says it does and dissolves in an hour or less in the stomach/gut.

Tony Page likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I ordered Prebiotics from DailyVita. DailyVita has a retail store in Apex, NC. The price of the few things I looked at are comparable with Amazon, and since their Merchant Code is "Misc Food Stores," I get the Grocery Store rebate on my credit card. Plus they have a Rewards program. Free shipping kicks in at $49. Regular shipping seems to be reasonable ($5 to ship 2 bottles of supplements.)

I bought a Jarrow brand prebiotic that's undergone formulation changes and has had spotty availability (Amazon is currently out of stock.) DailyVita has the pic of the original bottle on their product page. I'm curious which they're gonna send (and what the expiry date might be if they send legacy inventory.)

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Recent on line orders:
    EBay - 4 CD's

Ebay - Starky microtech wax guard

Thrift Books - Illustrated Wild Animals of the World, 2023 World Almanac , Ripley's Believe It Or Not Bizarre plus 2 others.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have been looking at heated coats for about 3 or 4 years now but I just couldn’t convince myself that I really wanted one.
    Whether it was the price, the fabric, the reviews or whatever, I always found an excuse not to buy one but that ended with this…
    At 42% off, I had to at least try it.
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    It comes with the USB rechargeable battery pack and if used conservatively, will last about 6-8 hours. There are 2 buttons to pick which areas I want heated and each button has 3 settings.
    Even without the heat, the coat is extremely warm and there have been times already when I changed out of it to put on a less warmer coat.

Heck, I was out in 28 feels like 19 degree weather and was super snug and warm.
    And, I tried it in the rain and yup, highly water resistant.

I have to admit though, I did balk just a bit when I read the part about “Heated Colthes”. Okay, if spelling “clothes” is the only imperfection then I’m good, said I.

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Recent on line orders:
    Ordered this Car Battery Jump Starter from Walmart today.

AVAPOW Car Battery Jump Starter ,3000A Peak Portable Jump Starters for Up to 8L Gas 8L Diesel Engine with Booster Function,12V Lithium Jump Charger Pack Box with Smart Safety Clamp

Hope it's strong enough to start my car, they say it will be delivered tomorrow.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We bought my wife, for $275, an NFR (National Finals Rodeo) 2023 beautiful Trophy Buckle for her birthday at the end of this month. It was bought thru Montana Silversmiths website. It was "love at first sight", you could say. I'll end up wearing it when she doesn't.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

Pic?