My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

This past week I ordered two items From bj's wholesale both were on sale. One is a soundbar speaker system which I received today, couldn't wait I hooked it up to our TV, it will take a little while for me to understand all the features.

VIZIO V-Series 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Dolby Audio, Bluetooth - V51-H6

The other item is a computer monitor, we found my old one destroyed by the elements, it was under a tarp outside, somehow water still got into it.

Acer Nitro QG241Y 23.8" Full HD Gaming Monitor.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Another flashlight and a maintenance kit for a Generac generator. All the local big-box stores are sold out of generator oil, filters, etc. due to the hurricane so I had to order from Amazon. These power outages are getting to me. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Back in the old days I used to do pony parties--deliver a saddled pony to lead around at birthday parties etc. In a hurry one day, I wrote the address of a party and time on my hand so I would not lose it. Unfortunately at one stop, I washed my hands.:eek: No cell phones in those days. could have used a label maker.:rolleyes:

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's pretty funny.

5. John Brunner

The "microplastics in your system" boogeyman was keeping me awake at night, so I bought a glass water bottle last month. I really like(d) it. It has a wide mouth lid with a bottle-sized nipple on it, so you can fill it easily and swig 'til you're satisfied.

[​IMG]

I was [past tense] filling it up about 1/4 full and putting it in the freezer on its side so I'd have a long ice log in it. Last time I must have put in too much water and/or lay it in there at too steep an angle. It cracked. (But it is thin glass.)

I just ordered a replacement. I was gonna go with stainless steel but read that there are bad reactions if there's salt in the water...I use a softener. I also bought some reusable ice cubes to keep it cold.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@John Brunner can you recommend any sweatbands? I have been looking and haven't found what I wanted.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

These work for me.

[​IMG]

You can use it as a regular narrow sweatband or unroll the front as pictured. They were recommended on another forum.

5 pak for $13, cheaper if you have Prime.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. John Brunner

These work for me.

[​IMG]

5 pak for $12.00, cheaper with Prime. They were recommended by a guy on another forum. You can expand the front as shown, or leave it rolled up to use as a standard sweatband.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So what are the reusable ice cubes made of? I use a stainless thermal insulated tumbler but I have resisted the "Stanley" craze.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

Uh, plastic. I was gonna point that out, but why deprive my fellow members of the pleasure?

I've been using an aluminum tumbler that was a tchotchke from a Well Management course I took. But I'm less thrilled with long-term aluminum use than I am with microplastics, even though the low-temp application is probably safe for both. I just don't have the freezer room (or the discipline) to keep a supply of real ice cubes on hand. I might just go with non-iced water as I've been doing. I may not even use the reusable cubes for drinking water and just save them for keeping stuff cool during shopping trips. But I had to hit the $35 threshold.

I wish I could find the water bottle article I read that discussed avoiding stainless and salt. No one else mentioned it.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

LOL

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have not bought one (yet) but there is now an untraceable, non listening phone available called unplugged--unplugged.com. Apple and the Dems are very down on it.
    I will probably just stop carrying my phone to certain places because this phone is just shy of $1000 and my phone cost me $39. Tucker Carlson has a vid on youtube about it.
    I guess it is cheaper than an I-phone but I have always wondered what makes a phone worth so much. To me it is just a camera that makes phone calls.:rolleyes:

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I kinda hate my phone, but it is what it is. Without hearing aids, I can't even answer a call. I have to wait for the ringing to stop, then call them back. I long for the days of flip phones when I could just open the phone and it answered the call. I think it is that after 50-60 years of washing my hands 25 to 30 times a day with harsh soaps, the phone screen can't detect my skin. I have trouble with virtual keyboards for the same reason. I can answer my phone from my hearing aids, but the VA has changed their policy from new aids every 2 years to ne ones every 5 years. Hearing aids don't last me 5 years. I have to send them in to be redone every 18 months to 2 years, and mine are "in the shop" at the moment, so I am using backups that don't connect to the phone. I can still play solitaire most of the time, but I have the same skin issue there as well.

My phone does allow me to return calls and get voicemail, and I can play solitaire but not more complex games. I can make calls from my contacts but not punch in a number. I should probably go back to a flip phone with a real keyboard. What the heck.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

That phone was (is?) being hawked by the founder of Blackwater Security. Here is an article from 2022 on MIT Technology Review that is not very complimentary of the founder, or the phone. They claim it is over-hyped. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, except that it does not yet work on the Verizon network, which is the main carrier out my way (they are working on it.) But it seems to work with everyone else.

I've shopped for a Faraday Bag for my phone, but every one has some reviewers say they fail their tests (the phone receives calls when in the bag.)

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  15. John Brunner

If I were not using an Apple Watch as my LifeAlert device, that's what I'd be doing.