My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You have to wonder why they don't reindex their databases. I doubt the packages are really making those journeys.

I was seeing that kind of stuff directly on the USPS website and wondered if they weren't the source for the bad vendor site data. But it doesn't look like UPS is the source for Ken's package weirdness.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Today I was in the mood for fried rice, but I didn't want to drag out my big wok for just myself so I made it in a regular skillet and made a mess on the stove. (Turned out tasty, tho. :D) So off to Amazon I go to find a small, non-stick wok to make fried rice. After staring at the available options for an hour, I finally decided this Oxo Chef pan would probably work for what I want, plus it comes with a lid so I can use it for other things.

upload_2021-6-13_13-8-40.png
    It is a 3-qt size but NOWHERE In the description does it say what the diameter of the pan is. :mad: I'm hoping it's 12" or less so we'll see. In the Questions section, answers about the diameter were 6", 9", 10", and 12". :rolleyes: Seriously?

I also bought a Shun chef's knife that I absolutely don't need but I wanted it so there you are. I didn't spring for the highest-end models but this one got good reviews. It's made in Japan...
    upload_2021-6-13_13-12-34.png

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

I looked at OXO's website. That Amazon description is taken right from it...there's no dimensions mentioned there, either. I went through this trying to replace worn out pans but I wanted to use the lids I had. There are no standards...

Regarding home stir-frying: An episode of America's Test Kitchen said that flat-bottom pans are best in most home kitchens because we lack the high-heat burners that professional Chinese kitchens have. I set my hand-hammered steel wok on a bed of hot coals in a small Weber kettle grill once. It was GREAT!!! It started glowing immediately. Best (and fastest) stir-fry I've ever made. I just need to figure out how to stop the wok from suffocating the fire.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My gas stove has one of those "super burners" that will singe your eyebrows. :D I have no problem using a cast-iron wok on that burner. I wanted a pan with a little higher sides to help keep the rice in the pan when I'm stir frying. (I get a little enthusiastic.)

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Woo hoo. Arriving tomorrow, baby. :D

upload_2021-6-13_13-52-43.png

I forgot to say that I had looked on the OXO website for dimensions of the pan, as well as other retailers selling that pan. Those measurements must be top secret.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, and I ordered two new bed pillows from Macy's. Their "Friends and Family" sale ends tomorrow.

7. Martha Ferris

Martha Ferris Well-Known Member
    Registered

My monthly purchase of dog and cat food supplies.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Martha, you need to tell us about your pets in the Pets and Critters section of the forum. I love hearing about everyone's pets. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Martha Ferris

Martha Ferris Well-Known Member
    Registered

Still finding my way around the site. Thanks for letting me know of this section.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Woohoo! My chef pan and knife arrived today and both are keepers. The pan is 9 3/4" in diameter so just about exactly the size I wanted. There will be fried rice in my future. The knife is gorgeous and as sharp as a razor; very well balanced, too.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I ordered a couple of items to organize my refrigerator. I got these wine "rack" things yesterday and they work really well.

upload_2021-6-15_11-17-57.png

12. John Brunner

Just ordered laces for 3 pairs of boots, au grautin dishes, ramekins, and a mini trampoline.

20210615 Amazon.jpg

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I ordered some Reefs flipflops for the hubby, a box of 60 Lindor caramel truffles, OPI nail polish, and some refrigerator containers for celery and carrots.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

my trampoline .. due Saturday. :)

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The pillows came today. Good grief, they look like they are a foot tall. I predict a crick in my neck tomorrow.