My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm sure we've all seen this, but...

Tony Page was telling me how his family used a juicer to process tomatoes for putting up. I had been thinking of getting one for other reasons so am just putzing around on the web seeing who's got what.

We've all seen the "English as a second language" posts in all sorts of contexts, and I came across a juicer description that struck me as a particularly awkward pitch:

So your kids are picky and your elderly have bad teeth!
    We appreciate your business...

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been on a shoe binge this summer. Not sure what that's all about since I am barefoot 99% of the time, but there you have it. I've been single-handedly supporting Germany's economy with my Birkenstock hoard.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Reed plates. Supposed to arrive today.

upload_2021-8-19_10-24-28.png

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, it is in my cart. I cannot yet find a reason to buy it. I am thinking of making maybe a full-sized nude polished wood sculpture of myself at age 35 so I can justify clicking the buy now button on an April Ross-designed Toyko beach volleyball bikini bottom and top. I have no plans for playing beach volleyball anymore, but that bikini would look nice as a display piece on a self resembling manikin for my memory lane display. Watching the Olympics women's beach volleyball, I was so impressed with April's design that I at least had to get it in my Amazon cart.

5. Ann France

Ann France Well-Known Member
    Registered

My recent online purchase was my groceries through Amazon Fresh. It’s so convenient to have your groceries delivered right to your door.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

knife.jpeg
    I don't know why I bought another knife, except that it only cost twenty bucks. I haven't used most of the ones that I already have, but I'll probably use this one. I have some expensive knives that I don't use because they are expensive, which doesn't make sense because it's not like they were an investment, but I buy cheap but functional knives, like this one, that I can feel comfortable using without having to worry about screwing them up.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Vintage old stock unworn made in the USA What's Next bareback mom jeans off Poshmark. I love shopping at Poshmark because it helps out small home businesses. The very high waist bareback style was popular especially for riding rodeo back in the 1980s -1990s. I love this style because it offers freedom of movement in the hips yet stays up. The waist on these sits right under my rib cage and with the 12.5" rise, they still are comfortable sitting and super for riding. They almost temp me to buy a horse. I am thinking of an old 14 hands Paint mare. I think 14 hands would work well for my age and disability as it is less distance to fall. :(:oops: On second thought a horse, even an old gentle slow one, would probably be the death of me.
    m_611543db4fd23a225c315882.jpg m_611543cfce1e873e02e2803f.jpg

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Okay, this turned out to be a little bigger than I had pictured it. Conceptionally, I have never been very good at picturing the size of something from its stated measurements, which leads to frequent purchases of things that are either too large or too small. I was a paper bag machine adjuster for more than twelve years, and paid quite well for it, but when I needed a wrench, I would have to come back with two or three wrenches in order to be confident that one of them would fit. Unless I actually have my hands on a ruler, a yardstick, or a measuring tape, I have trouble picturing the size of something.

While I knew this wasn't going to be a pocket knife, I wasn't really going for the Rambo look but, at twenty bucks, I'm sure I'll find a purpose for it, like when I really need a machete but don't feel like bringing my machete. It's a pretty heavy stainless steel knife for twenty bucks, so I'm not sure where the profit is.

RAMBO.JPG

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

Damn!!!

Here's your Slurpee, Sir. No charge.

10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My riding days are over even bicycle,selling them this week after violently flipping backwards on some acorns,like walking on marbles.:eek:

A cotton dress that wasn't cotton or a size medium,so no more online fashions for me!:(.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    John Brunner and Faye Fox like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

So are my riding days, especially on a bike as I have only one balance nerve. I could do a three-wheeler hahaha. I might try a smaller horse with the right saddle, but I really think probably not. I have a hard time walking a straight line on the sidewalk. I never buy anything on Poshmark without measurements. There are so many styles that size tags don't mean a lot. I end up donating maybe 1 out of 10 garments I buy and usually because while the style looked great in the photos, it looked bad on me to my eyes.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  12. John Brunner

I don't see how people can buy clothes online. I ordered some J.C. Penny "upscale" t-shirts (Stafford brand) that I had already purchased in the store at some point, and were worn out. I found what looked to be an identical match. Talk about crap products. The ones I owned were heavy fabric, the ones purchase on line were as cheesecloth. I won't wear them. They make me feel "dirty." ;)

Then there's the issue with fit, especially pants. I've sometimes thought that there's an opportunity for a brick & mortar store for people who want to try before they buy, but the fact of the matter is that you would only be a free dressing room for folks to then go buy off the internet.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Makes you mad huh? Like my plastic cotton dress did me.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

If I buy from an online store, I always buy only if they have a free return policy. I have experienced the same thing when I go to replace quality clothes. The new replacements are of poor quality and are poor fitting. I have started buying all my jeans from Poshmark because I can get the old vintage ones made in the USA. I was shocked that so much slightly used and unworn old stock is still available for women. The trouble with mens clothes is that men tend to wear them out so not much vintage stuff around. When I worked outdoors ranching, construction, etc., I nearly always bought my jeans and shirts at the thrift shops because I wore them out fairly quickly. I did a lot of modifications and sewing in those days.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

We use Shipt for local grocery store delivery.Its $14.00 month.Plus tip for the shopper.

Faye Fox and Ann France like this.