My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Waiting on 3 new 18” chain saw chains. Even though the package arrived at the the USPS dock at 0600, it won’t be delivered until tomorrow.

I was going to sharpen the one I had but after hitting some unseen barb wire that was stuck to the stump I was downsizing,. unless I replaced the links that got tore up, the chain is useless.
    I guess if I had to use my chainsaw every day I’d buy expensive chains and the stuff it takes to fix them but what the heck, for 30 beans or so I buy 3 chains a year, sharpen them until they can’t be sharpened anymore and trash them.

Kinda like my paint brushes. I’m not a painter so I don’t buy $30-$50 paint brushes. 5 brushes for $3.00 from the dollar store and when they start falling apart and can’t be washed they’re trashed.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Vacuum cleaner stuff
    1. oval-to-round adapter, so accumulated attachments from old cheap vacuums can be used on my newer one
    2. upholstery brush attachment

Rolled the dice. Not out much if they don't work.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Buying something new.
    It’s a thing called Plasti-dip. The dip version is for things that ya want to coat with a kind of rubber like plastic such as old tool handles, clamp ends and stuff like that.

What I’m getting actually replaces electric tape in that it’s in a spray can and can be sprayed on electrical connections to form a more permanent insulator on soldered or spliced wires.
    Another thing I will try it on is where the insulation on the wiring has gotten worn or eaten by a rodent.
    I even saw it being used to replace old rubber grips on shovels and wooden handled hammers.
    The 4 hour curing time is a little long but for my purposes that much time doesn’t make any difference.

I’m anxious to see how it works out but the reviews are good both on Amazon and on Google so I shouldn’t have any worries.

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

WeatherTech cargo liner for my car, 2 new patio umbrellas for the pool area, pint-size vacuum sealer bags, new summer wreath for front door.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've used Plasti-Dip on tool handles, but had no idea it would be used in electrical applications. I got the stuff in a can that you dip stuff into, not the aerosol.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, the ad on YouTube had the dip style stuff which is what piqued my curiosity about it. When I looked on Amazon for it they had the aerosol too so I did a little investigating hence my purchase of the spray type.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

That's good to know. Just shooting from the hip, it seems as though it would be more permanent a fix for nicked insulation than tape. When I solder, I always use shrink tubing (one over each conductor than a larger tube over the entire bundle of insulated splices.) I'll have to watch the vid for ideas.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I like the shrink wrap but in the absence of it, have you ever tried to use saran wrap? Wrap the wire bundle a few times then hit it with the heat and bingo….shrink wrap.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I like that! I guess I should use plastic wrap and not aluminum foil, right? ;)

I've come behind the owner of a security system business and repaired his midnight-hour splices using bundles of packing tape. Yeh, we had fun with it.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hammered stainless mixing bowl for my stand mixer. (It came with a glass bowl that is too heavy; I'm always worried that I'll break it when washing.) Looks like this...

ka.jpg

These really COOL wooden jar lids to go on some old Ball jars I have. I'm going to store dry beans in the jars...

ball2.jpg
    ball.jpg

11. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey I like the lids ..I’m guessing Amazon ? never seen them before @Beth Gallagher and I’ve got Mmmm …60+ wait …NO ……make that 80+ wide mouth ball mason jars

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hey Kate. Yes, the lids are from Amazon. Of course they aren't for canning but do have an airtight silicone seal so can be used for temporary storage. I mainly just like the way they look. :D

123.png

These are for the regular size mouth, but they also sell them for the wide-mouth jars.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    Yvonne Smith and Kate Ellery like this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thanks @Beth Gallagher yep I know they are not for canning …:):D:):D I’ll look see if they are on Aussie Amazon …I’d be surprised if they aren’t ..cause Amazon recently built a …….huge robot operated building in Sydney I think it is ….Aussies are good spenders :):D

We have similar tastes in ball mason jars :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here's the listing on USA Amazon, Kate. Not sure if the product description will be the same, but maybe so... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QXYQX98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

15. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thanks Beth The link took me to Aussie Amazon but I can’t see where they are available in wide mouth jars
    I might look at Aussie Mason site see if the have them they are nice and stylish .
    I keep nuts and stuff in BM jars in my walk in pantry as well as you know use them for preserving