National Hurricane Center Predicts Near Or Above Normal Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Gary Ridenour, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a cousin in Virginia Beach whose wife is in home hospice and another cousin in Kill Devil Hills who decided to tough it out, so I'm interested in what's going on too. But there are ways I can -- under my own control -- find out what's happening hurricane-wise as well as the fact that I can chat, email, phone, or look at their Facebook pages to see what's happening with them personally, because they know their families are concerned and want to know.

Meanwhile, just south of us, three different communities had a series of fireball explosions virtually all at once on Thursday. Firemen could not keep up with the calls. Nearly 10,000 people were displaced in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover.

But do you think there was coverage of this disaster while we were learning -- for the 50th time -- that Florence was downgraded to a Cat 1?

Nope. The best I could do was to listen to the local talk show callers, who were calling all day to tell us their experiences with the explosions/fires.

The wall to wall coverage of a tropical storm with reporters trying their best to horribilize the whole thing was frustrating and counterproductive.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Your area is known as Dixie Alley. More people are killed by tornadoes there than in the High Plains due to the higher population in Dixie Alley. Actually, I had never heard of Dixie Alley until just now thru online research.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have been through 3 hurricanes and several tornadoes and between the two, I would rather the hurricane. There’s a lot more time to prepare for it or evacuate if necessary.
    Unlike the hurricane, a tornado warning starts with a watch for which there is NO siren. Then, if there really is one touching down, a person only has a window of about 10-15 minutes to seek shelter. And, like my wife mentioned, sometimes there isn’t a siren to depend on.

Now, as far as being able to see one, the tornado that hit us a few years ago wasn’t really visible. Not because of the rain or wind or anything other than it was a CAT 4 and we were IN the tornado. Nothing to see there.

Beatrice Taylor and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's the problem with news and weather reports. Even about the weather, they don't give you honest news. They sensationalize everything. The only way to know what's going on is to talk to people who are living there because you're not going to get the truth from the news.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I have moved the fireball explosions posts to a new thread.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Anderson Cooper in a ditch. He is finally where he belongs.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Isn’t it strange that we live in an area that is just about surrounded by mountains yet we have more tornado watches and warnings per year than any other part of the U.S.

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

As @Bobby Cole said, I, too, have been through several hurricanes and tornadoes, and I find tornadoes more disturbing. I think as far as the warnings go, if a funnel cloud is seen on radar, a warning is issued. In the old days, we had to wait until one was sighted before issuing a warning, but now they rely on radar (I think). Technically, the funnel has to touch down before it is called a tornado. It is a funnel cloud if organized and still in the air, and "mamma" if it is not definitely organized as it appears as breasts hanging from the clouds. While living in Georgia on a small bass pond, a tornado came within 100 feet of our house and hit the pond. It essentially sucked the pond dry and deposited the contents on our front yard. The water quickly drained back into the pond, leaving hundreds of fish and turtles on the grass. Our children were fascinated! You have warning with hurricanes, but they have embedded tornadoes within them or they generate them in the bands of weather that reach out from the center of the storm.

We had to deal with the typhoons in the Pacific, and I recall a most amazing incident. A fleet tug was towing something (I can't recall what) across the Pacific Ocean and was in the path of a large typhoon. We had a submarine in the area, and when the eye passed over the sinking boat, the sub quickly surfaced and evacuated the boat then resubmerged. I don't know if the rescue was ever publicized as submarine operations are usually kept quiet, but we were all amazed that it was successful.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Don, you reminded me of a story: The Submarine That Sank a Train: The Extraordinary Raid of the USS Barb

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember in one hurricane where a reporter was actually tied to a post. I don't know if his cameraman was tied to a post or not. :rolleyes:

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sounds like Aeneas and the Sirens!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks as though we might be getting the remnants of Florence next week with gusts of up to 60 mph. Ridiculous, I know, but troublesome nonetheless.

Bobby Cole and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

You are getting the remnants of Florence in Germany? :eek:

15. Ken Anderson

It rained here for a half hour, non-stop.

Joe Riley likes this.