Need Solution For Clogged Sink

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Jayce Gray, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

For clogged kitchen sink..

Water standing..got most up...plunging.. didn't work.

Waiting for delivery of chemicals.

But..in the meantime...

Anyone know of something?

Will take any recommendations.

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine clogged last year and Liquid Plumber eventually cleared it but I had to be persistent with the plunger too.

Jayce Gray likes this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Equal parts of vinegar and baking soda. Let the solution set in the drain for 10 minutes or so. It will fizz. Run HOT water down the drain.

Jayce Gray likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've often wondered about this. Will it work on clogs downstream of the trap, or is it only good for the close-to-the sink clogs?

5. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm not sure. I have done this in my bathroom and kitchen sinks when they became VERY slow draining and it worked great.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

For our bathroom sinks/showers, we bought Drain Weasel on Amazon. It works for us!

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I use something like that in my garage sink that get plugged with all kinds of stuff since I do most of my planting and up potting in there in winter. I use straight lye for difficult clogs. In showers and stuff where hair is the main culprit, I just pour chlorine bleach into the drain and let it sit until the next shower.
    To give @Jayce Gray guidance, we would have to know where she thinks the clog is located. Trap clogs are much easier than those located further from the sink.

Bobby Cole, Von Jones and Jayce Gray like this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My bathtub plugged up and I put two gallons of liquid and let it sit there for a couple hours. It cleared up and that has been at least 10 years ago.

Jayce Gray likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Ohhhh. A snake and drill. Hook the drill on to the snake and slowly drill with running hot water pushing the snake down the drain. Wear heavy duty gloves. This is the type that I have.

[​IMG]

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is the optimal method, but it requires equipment and a bit of training in the use of said equipment. People do sometimes injure themselves using a power-driven snake. The chemicals are easier and safer for most people. Caution is especially needed with toilets (one needs acid of some sort to clear those) and closet augers. I respect you greatly, @Von Jones for using a power-driven snake.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Of course, if you use chemicals, you do NOT want to follow up with a snake or auger, because you'll splash the chemicals all over yourself,and maybe in your eyes.

Snake first, Drano last.

As @Don Alaska said, toilets require an acid-based product. I went through that at my house before I realized that Charmin was clogging the lines. Sometmes the acid based stuff worked, and sometimes it didn't. Different plumbers had been out to snake the sewer (septic) line over the course of a few years, and a couple of them told me I needed to replace the sewer line from the house to the septic tank.

The last time it plugged I could not find anyone to come out (I live in the country.) So I went to Lowe's, bought a cheap sewer hand snake, popped the lid off of the tank, and ran the thing up there. That's when I discovered that my issue was wads of gummed-up toilet paper (it's supposed to break down.) I did a Mason jar test of 3 brands (Charmin, Cottonelle, and Scotts) and switched to Scotts. That was several years ago and it still runs freely.

13. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Years and years ago the drains underground were made of cemented pipe with male and female ends so that each section would fit and seal. Over time roots would penetrate the pipe and you would have a real stopped up system and it was a heck of a lot of work to go out and dig the lines to find the plugged spot. It mostly depended what type of foliage was in your yard but with the ground shifting a bit sooner or later you would either fix it yourself or pay someone. The new plastic pipe and cleaner fluids pretty much stopped all that extra work ,. and of course city code that finally stopped use of that cement pipe. It was often a damaged pipe that had been run over by vehicle because they were not really buried that deep since they had to have a 1/2 inch drop so they would drain to the septic system. All of the old 70 year old Houston sub divisions had that septic system and not city sewage connections. 70 years ago our new home at the time had open ditches and to this day they are still open and the city never spent a dime to improve the subdivision even after all the massive taxes they stole. Our old house is one of the very few still standing when I was young. The rest have been torn down with new houses built all around and a few nice 2 stories.

14. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Now that's what you call really squeezing the Charmin :D

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner @Don Alaska I never use a snake for the toilet. If I can't clear it with the plunger I call a plumber.:D