Need Solution For Clogged Sink

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Jayce Gray, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We always use Scotts for just that reason. It seems to be much easier on the septic. Plus it is rolled, not "fluff dried" so it is easier to use even though it is not as soft to the touch.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup. That's what this pvc pipe rig is supposed to emulate. Fortunately, getting rid of Charmin seems to have done the trick. I still have 4 gallons of Main Line on hand I'm not gonna use (hopefully.)

I didn't tell the story of one guy who came out here to snake my sewer line. I think it was the first time it clogged, so he had to dig down to the tank (I used my front end loader to lift the lid.) He told me that he worked for his wife's father, and they put him on an allowance, and he "wasn't supposed to do any digging," but he'd do it for $20 under-the-table cash so he could buy smokes. We settled on $10. Way to represent, dude.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have been slowly (and I do mean “slowly) replacing the cast iron drains in the four houses I manage and maintain and our house as well.
    Throughout so many years of chemical drain cleaners being used to unclog pipes, the cast iron gets eaten away also hence the replacement using PVC.

The biggest problems of clogged drains I have is the South American renters who throw so much grease into the drains. I have asked them to use the Blue Dawn to wash dishes but it falls on deaf ears.
    Perhaps there’s a bit of irony here but the immigrants will NOT flush their toilet paper down the commode for fear that it will clog the system but they’ll throw a pan of grease down the drain in a second.
    I understand that where they come from the sewer systems are extremely delicate and can’t handle paper products but with that said, I can’t figure out why they think grease is okay.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

When my toilet did not always flush completely, the web told me to poke the toilet siphon jet with a bent clothes hanger which I did and it worked. Deposits get left from whatever is in the water causing a clog and a weak flow.
    [​IMG]

There are also the rim jets.
    [​IMG]
    This explains it some https://toilethaven.com/2020/05/18/toilet-siphon-jet/
    I didn't use any chemicals but just poked away at the holes.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I ran into that issue in Bolivia when I was there years ago. I think the problem was that they used the "iron-type" TP that @John Brunner mentioned and it was cesspools, not septics. We had to b urn our toilet paper in the fireplace in the place I stayed. It was an interesting place as an aside. I stayed over a boarding school for poor kids. The girls couldn't afford good clothes, so they were taught to make their clothes from looking at pictures in catalogs; the boys were taught the same idea but with furniture and such. It was quite amazing what the kids could do by the time they left the school.

Now back to drains....

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, that comes from a place where lousy plumbing is the norm. When I worked at a paper company in Brownsville, Texas, many of our employees were born in Mexico, and some still lived there, and there was always a paper bag next to the toilets to deposit the paper in. The company didn't ask for it, and the company's plumbing didn't require it, but people couldn't get used to flushing toilet paper.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  7. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

For those with septic(s)..I was told by the guy who came to clean out...
    To put a packet of yeast..down the toilet..once a month..
    To keep it active.
    Which I do.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I bought a tub of the enzymatic stuff and used to dissolve it in warm water and then flush it. It's one of those things that are either miracles, or they are needless because the system is full of its own enzymes. Since I went on a septic system, I catch myself saying "Bon Appétit" whenever I flush.

So, how are your drains? DId yu make any progress.

Jayce Gray and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

With septic tanks, I think it's a matter of whether your tank is large enough to handle the volume. If your septic tank is smaller than it should be, or it hasn't been pumped recently, the enzymatic stuff can hurry the process along, thus giving you more room in the septic tank. That's basically what the Green Gobbler stuff I mentioned in an earlier post is, and it can work even if you're on a city sewer system to clean the sewer and drain pipes leading to the main sewer line. However, if you're connected to a city sewer, it doesn't make sense to dump that stuff down the drain if you're only going to flush it all the way to the main line before it has had a chance to work its magic.

10. Jayce Gray

Jayce Gray Active Member
    Registered

Y-a-ah! Drain...drained.
    Got crystals from Home Depot..and put down.. and with plunger help.
    S-w-o-o-c-h!
    Gone
    Lesson learned.
    Treat..once a month
    Also got gel..to do⬆️

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.