Neighborhood Street Dance

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Marie Mallery, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I ask a neighbor sbout maybe getting together a little entertainment and play some music and maybe have a old fashioned street dance of sorts.:cool: Those who play can and if nobody wants to play we can have a DJ.
    Well she said that is funny to think anyone here would like that.:oops:

We could do it here on the dirt road and people could bring their own picnik tables and chairs.Ans keep our 'pandemic' distance.
    Nobody wants to have fun anymore.
    We use to have get togethers atour homes about 10 years ago.

What doyall think ?Should I ask others or forget it?

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hubby has a big amp to plug into and a keyboard and 3 guitars. We could run a extention cord to the road or use a generator.Since we don't know the new neighbors who moved in last 10 or 12 years.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Since the Pandemic hit, many, many folks aren't nearly as "neighborly" as use to be. Our apartment complex had a Pool Party this past June and there was a fairly poor turnout. The cookout was good and I complimented our Assistant Maintenance Worker for that.

I don't know, but you could try it. Ever heard the saying, "ever went to a party and nobody was there?" And, it's sort of hard to have "social distancing" when holding a party. How do you know what kind of music the people would like. It can depend on the age groups that would be there.

There are those that still want to have fun, but for many, especially Seniors, to a point, that "fun" has to be cautioned.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I figure those who want to social distaance could just sit at their tables and watch and listen to music. It will be outside.
    Anyway like you said guess the 'Garden Party' days are over like all other American social gatherings.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

To a point, "Garden Party" days are over, but there are those that are much younger than we are that still, and do, party at their homes. And, to let you know, American social gatherings are not over. This last summer, we had different city gatherings in our downtown area, but we didn't go.

Out of curiosity, what age group/groups were you talking about with this Neighborhood Street Dance? What kind of music does your husband play?

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

All age groups many who moved in when we first came are gone now or a few passed.
    We haven't met most of the new arrivals.these are 5 to 50 acre wooded lots.

Its good that people still get together in your town,here they may have a Tractor Parade,boy oh boy I get excited just thinking about it:p. Now that the 'Cheers' style local pub closed down and the sports complex is empty not much to do.
    Hubby plays guitar,keyboard ,mostly guitar. He plays all kinds of music. He grew up on C&W his dad played steel guitar his brothers played guitars and keyboards,drums. Hubby likes to play rock and ssome country. when we first moved here they played Blue Grass but would play along to anything.But some got old ,some moved.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Most people just sit online or on Iphones now not much in person socializing at all other thn online. Even before the pandemic.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What kind of a sports complex are you talking about? MLB, NFL or what?

I use to play rock drums, which means a set of Ludwig and playing classic rock, however, that was way, way back when. LOL
    Wife and I love a good C&W band that can include a steel guitar and fiddle. Our C&W music is like Garth Brooks, Diamond Rio, George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, Terry Clark and so on. The old, but not really old, stuff from the 80's/90's. As far as classic rock goes, Boston, Deep Purple, Van Halen (David Lee Roth time), some AC/DC and some Alice Cooper, Santana, ELO, Grand Funk Railroad, Styx and so on. Still like to hear Steppenwolf, BTO, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Jefferson Starship.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Good selection of songs and I could add a few more to it.

Cody I am talking about the local ball park, we played our last softball games in that field in 2000,hubby was first base and I was demoted from first base to right field. First time I ever played on a co-ed team and I didn't like it at all,I liked womens softball. I was 50 last ime I was on a leaque. Loved it since 1970s.
    So we use to also go to games once no longer able to play.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Throw it and they will come.

Hedi Mitchell and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just like John says "throw it", but.............will they come? Now, that's the real question!

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Guess if we try it and nobody shows then it would have ben a bad idea? But if thry do then maybe break the boredom. Most people stay to themselves so who knows.
    we had a Neighborhood Watch Meeting twice over the years that many came to. Last one was in 2018 when a county deputy came out and gave us ideas about being safe .Out here not too many break ins cause everyone knows most people have protection and will use it if nessasary.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

well I gave an old guitr buddy of hubbys the idea and he is thinking about it. They have a lot here they are planning to build on and he use to play music wwith us and a few neighbors .
    He like hubby is a good and both can sing. several new people moved into n-hood who are younger than us,we haven't met yet.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Do you have a way of floating the idea first to see if folks might be interested?

Halloween is coming up. I don't know if there are kids in your area who trick or treat. A party around that time might disrupt that family event, or it might provide a safe place for kids to dress up and get candy (kinda like a Trunk or Treat.)

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Nobody Trick or Treats on dirt roads in these rural areas.Maybe in some but not here. People don't like the bumpy roads for one thing.No kid would walk miles for a few houses.:)
    Most kids are too busy on their phones or note books,now.

No its just another bad idea I guess,I may put a sign up at the entrance facing inside the community. See what happens?
    Now that itscooling down some ,don't know.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.