Netflix Series?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Cursing/swearing in movies doesn't bother me even if it's done a lot. I'd rather hear it than the 'bleeps' which ruins the momentum going in the scene(s). One reason why I don't watch TV during prime time. The minute I hear that 'bleep' I'm done.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes it says things about people's personalities when they watch programs that have swearing in them...……..and yes, that includes wife and I.

But, as many would say...…."whatever".

3. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Amen. There are enough old folk here that will not see a movie due to one curse word or one scene of a naked butt. As the above says, why is one of two words that mean the same thing bad? You are also hearing these words because they are in common use and unless you live under a rock, will hear them all the time. What we watch reflects society as it is. I think some retired people retire from life and long for the good old days which were not so good as they remember.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sorry, Vinny, but we don't have friends, family, or get around ANYONE, who uses these words. When I was involved in pro-rodeo, none of the guys I knew ever used swearing and especially not the "F" word. We were all part of an Association that, if reported to by a person in the public, we could be suspended, or even lose our membership card to compete in the arena.

The same can go for people in the military. Military personnel can talk however they want when they are on the Base, but if they say the same words off of the Base, they can be reported to their Command.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I happen to find spitting tobacco , yuck and roping animals more disturbing but to each his own Cody.

I also don't have friends or family that swear and neither do I but I'm not going to not watch something I like because some actor is swearing.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't believe what I'm reading here - some people couldn't care less about swearing on TV or movies and
    some people do ! So, what does it matter - why try and convert people !
    I would walk out of a room full of swearers so I'd hardly sit and watch them - doesn't make me 'anything' for
    having a preference. And Cody, please don't 'sum up' people just on a preference, it just means me and Chrissy
    would not watch the same film, doesn't make me a better person

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Guess you'd never go to a rodeo or visit a ranch. Would your kids or grandkids watch shows that have swearing in them? Just wondering.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I probably wouldn't go to a rodeo.

The grandson in college probably does watch shows with swearing in them...he's still a great kid with a bright future.

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, there are things that people do that will always make them better people than others. People who use drugs are definitely better people than those that don't. I considered my last supervisor/director a better person than myself, because he continued college and got a Bachelors and I dropped out. He made much more money than I did. To me, basically, he was a better person.

Today, society looks at what people read, watch on tv, look like, etc., etc. and judge them from that. My wife's sister would judge with and I for watching, even though the programs were hysterical, these Netflix shows. But, we've continued to watch them. She'd pick dvd movies out of our dvd library and say "I'd never have a movie like that. Why do you have it?" Logical question with a logical answer, "we like it".

Not trying to convert anyone, but for those that don't mind the language, or even like it, well...……..

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Until the time comes he says the "F" word to someone, then what will happen to that "great kid" thing. I think we've all seen this happen with kids and grandkids. Heck, there is even a thread on here about a "great kid" that didn't stay that way.

BTW, you wouldn't visit a ranch or stockyards either. I've worked at a stockyards and, believe me, you don't want to see what goes on. To me and the guys that worked with me, it was just a typical day of running cattle to and out of the sale barn.

Guess it's time to put me on "Ignore" again, right?

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In some cases, swearing or cursing does add to the scene of the movie, and I have no issue with that happening, or with nudity if it relates to what is happening in the context of the story.
    On the other hand, if the movie is about people who simply go around speaking in nothing but profanity, then I am most likely not even interested in the content of the show either, and I pretty much feel the same way about people, in person. If their whole vocabulary is spouting 4-letter words, that does not make for much of a conversation, in my opinion, either on or off stage.
    I don’t spend much time watching movies, and even less watching television; so the content has to be something that I am interested in before i watch either of those things, and if I am interested in what the movie is about, and sometimes it has profanity that is related to that scene of the movie, then I am fine with it.
    I have enough of a vocabulary that I am usually able to completely express my thoughts or feelings without profanity, but sometimes, like when smashing your thumb with a hammer, profanity happens to often be an appropriate form of expression.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

“People who use drugs are defintely better people than those that don’t.”

Please explain, @Cody Fousnaugh ?

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, I think tv and movies should go back to the Lassie and Rin Tin Tin days, before all of the language crap happened. It was great watching a tv show like Leave It To Beaver or The Ozzie and Harriett Show.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Coke pipe, sniffing coke, smoking pot for fun (like in episodes of Grace & Franky)…...IOW, illegal drugs.

When I was in EMS/EMT, I seen all of it and it definitely isn't a pretty sight for parents to see their kid in the back of an ambulance zooming (lights and siren on) to the ER.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yes, but why do you say that they are BETTER PEOPLE than those that don’t do drugs, Cody ? This is the part of your statement that I can’t fathom ?