1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I was driving and two radio commentators were talking about netflix cracking down on theft of the channel. People were sharing their passwords; friends and family were getting the streamer for nothing. People were worried that friends and family were going to be mad at them for 'shutting them off.' One radio host suggested that maybe the purchasers of the channel maybe send $25 to friend who was mad with an apology for the shut down.
    $25 to the FRIENDS???!!! what about to netflix?! Netflix has been having some financial problems. Covid gave them lots of viewers but now things are dwindling for them. We cancel netflix if they don't have anything else we want to watch. We don't steal from them. More evidence of culture problems.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Netflix purchased the now closed Fort Monmouth in NJ. They will build sound stages there and do a large percentage of filming. It is a lovely area of our shore which I am sure was a big selling point. Lots of work to be done cleaning out all the toxic mess the Army left behind.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Netflix annual revenue for 2022 was $31.616B, a 6.46% increase from 2021. Netflix annual revenue for 2021 was $29.698B, a 18.81% increase from 2020. Netflix annual revenue for 2020 was $24.996B, a 24.01% increase from 2019. -- Macrotrends.net

Here is my thought on that. I pay Neflix every month for two concurrent devices to watch their offerings. Whether those two devices are physically at my address or halfway across the country should not concern Netflix. They have controls on my account so that no more than two screens can display their content, so what is the big deal? I allow my grandson to use my account (in college) but that is PAID FOR since I am paying for TWO CONCURRENT SCREENS.

People who travel with electronic devices often use their streaming services in different locations. When we are in the RV, there's no telling where we'll be, but the Netflix service is paid for no matter where I am. Will Netflix cut us off when we're traveling because they "think" someone not in my household is watching Breaking Bad?

So if an account holder is paying for two screens and Netflix controls don't allow that account to have more than those two screens displaying their content concurrently, what is their beef? They are already controlling theft of services because no "theft" is occurring.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When my daughter switched our cell service from Verizon to T-Mobile bbecause they have great plans for veterans, one of the perks she got was a free Netflix account, and it can be used by all three of us on her account (Robin, Bobby, and myself).
    I doubt we all watch at the same time; but it would not matter if we did or not, since it is part of the T-Mobile benefit package.
    When Walmart+ added on the Paramount+ videos as part of their benefits, we now have those as well. The only one we actually pay for is the Amazon Prime video subscription, and that is just because it is part of our amazon account.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I thought Netflix only charged for a fixed location, like the modem to our home. We have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and 2 Apple TVs, all making use of one Netflix account, though very rarely (if ever?) any 2 at the same time.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I did read about this. I've already cancelled DirecTV for raising their fee. I share Netflix with family members and only one that I'm sure of is using it. Hopefully subscribers will be informed if and when Netflix puts this into effect. If they do or I noticed an increase I'll cancel Netflix too. Usually my youngest son lets me know things like this. I haven't heard anything yet.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You can install the app on as many devices as you want; you just can't USE them all at once. We have it installed on all our TVs, iPads, phones, etc. but can only use two of them concurrently.

From Netflix:
    Netflix provides its consumers with three primary monthly pricing plans, as follows:

Basic, $8.99 per month (up from $7.99 in 2018). Netflix's basic plan doesn't provide high definition viewing and its programs can only be watched on one screen at a time.

Standard, $12.99 per month (up from $10.99 in 2018). The Netflix standard offers HD videos and allows for two simultaneous viewings.

Premium, $15.99 per month (up from $13.99 in 2018). The top tier offering includes the ability to watch four screens at the same time. It's also the only item on the Netflix that offers a 4K viewing option.

Faye Fox, Von Jones and Thomas Windom like this.
  8. Thomas Windom

Registered

How are they doing this? IP addresses?

9. Thomas Windom

Registered

Ah, OK. It’s just my wife and I and we are usually both watching from the same device at the same time.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Is the account tied to your email address, Von? You should get an email each time an "unknown" device logs in. As for the crackdown on password sharing, it has been announced but not implemented yet. If they aggravate me then I'll just cancel; I seldom watch it anyhow but keep it because I know my grandson does.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I did get those when they logged on at first but haven't since. My son had upgraded it to premium. I haven't been watching Netflix as much as I use to since he added me to his Disney+ and HBO Max and bought me a Roku tv.:D

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It is quite possible that the radio commentator did not actually mean netflix but another streaming channel on roku. There are a few that require passwords that hubby has. Our netflix requires two subscriptions because we have two roku hookups.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Mary, we have 4 Rokus in this house but only one Netflix subscription. The account can only be used on two devices concurrently but all can use the same subscription account. You simply log into Netflix with the account credentials (email and password) and you can use the same account on any device that has Netflix access.

Von Jones likes this.