New People We Have Met Recently

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Don Alaska, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

The altitude is what gets to me. I know and thank you for your concern Don.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

This rancher says he gets two big cuttings of brome hay. I remember as a kid, asking why cabbage and some things grew so big there and the answer was all the daylight which actually makes the growing season longer than 90 days based on hours.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Much of Alaska is at sea level. That makes it a wonderful places for general aviation.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, the light does some good things to some crops, like the crucifers, but makes other crops, like spinach, radishes, and some lettuces very difficult to grow. It is true that we get more light in 90 days than most other locations.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well Don, It seems they are lacking the territorial knowledge of living in Alaska. Do you think you could part with some of your valuable expertise to these folks, if they are willing, and explain the winter scenario and hardships. Maybe a little bit of education would help them decide if they want to stay or not.

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We have spoken with them, and they were invited for a tour of our place. It was raining, so they decided the weather was too bad, while the Alaskans who were invited simply put on raincoats and came anyway. I just don't think they realize what they are in for. Perhaps they will head back to Texas before the weather turns in a few weeks.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh No!!! It was raining?
    I am wet all the time. If it is snowing, raining,...Hot and dry I sweat through two layers of cotton. Mud season, watering gardens...
    I would have come for the tour.:rolleyes:
    My concern is that they decide too late to get home easily. The tv show I am thinking of is Ice Road Truckers.:eek:

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I just think these poor folks are not used to hardship and real work under less-than-ideal conditions. It may be that if the outside temp were 88 F. and dry, they would be fine, whereas I would suffer terribly as I am no longer used to the heat. Ice road truckers is far to the north of us, but roads around here can get pretty bad, although they have been improving in recent years as civilization moves outward.

Driving through Canada in winter is pretty tough, so I hope that if they decide to go back, they do it soon as it is already snowing in the mountains and we can see the snow getting deeper up there from down here "on the ground".

Mary Stetler and Shirley Martin like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I always think of Timothy Treadwell when I hear of naive folks heading northward..

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We don't have too many brown bears here, but there are a few. There are very few people who are as STUPID and naïve as Treadwell.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I believe he went unscathed for a couple of seasons. I felt badly for the woman who was with him. And I think the guy was on meds, according to his sister.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

He did luck out for a while, but the bad thing is that he taught many others to be careless around bears. I had a coworker here some years ago from Connecticut who was very liberal, very anti-gun, and "friendly with wildlife" until a moose tried to kill her for getting to close to a new-born calf. One incident, and she totally turned her attitude around. IU also had a friend in the bush who moved to a homestead intending to live a vegetarian lifestyle. I believe I have mentioned him here in the past as having carried up a years-worth of soybeans intending to live off them for their first year. He and his wife discovered they hated soybeans and became carnivores out of necessity and never went back, although they did have one of the best gardens in the area and sold veggies to others to help their budget.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

That is a very big surprise for me. I'd thought the more north the higher the altitude. I guess you have to be in mountains for that?

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

There are certainly mountains here, but a lot of the state is open tundra and taiga at near sea level. experienced pilots have some difficulty when they leave the state when they go to places like Arizona or Colorado. If they load their planes like they do here, they often crash and die.

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

:eek:

Mary Stetler likes this.