New People We Have Met Recently

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Don Alaska, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Everyone who is on that survival show ALONE is a survival expert. Only one remains and all they have to do is call a boat to leave. Can't do that in most wilderness.
    Interesting thing is, Milwaukee or Madison can be a jungle if you don't know the terrain. I had a rather frightening experience in Milwaukee and the wild animals were People!

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I was working in Ekuk, I had a couple of hours to spare so I walked up the road to an abandoned shack that once served as a church. The place was all overgrown with weeds and such but when I worked my way to one side of the church, there was a large patch where the weeds were crushed with a pathway around to the side I hadn’t been to yet.
    I’m naturally curious but not that curious so I made my merry way back to the the processing plant.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

This too is true, speaking of people of course. Thank goodness most people are ok.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Has she experienced a real winter, @Jake Smith? If they are not used to winter, starting out with one that can be as much as 9 months long and very dark can be daunting.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, none of the eight of them ever have. Mild to a little severe, for a few months tops. It's gonna be a challenge for them, I'm sure. It will either make or break them about being there so we will see. As I hear from them I will let you know if you like.

And staying with the topic, being "The Best Poster Here" You have to be nice, and never mean. :D

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

What part of Alaska have they moved to, @Jake Smith? Too many people have a false idea of life here, and those "Alaska TV shows" don't help much.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Jake Smith

Registered

I had just found out two months ago when I talked to her sister, my other niece who told me that she had moved to Alaska. She was on the phone with her at the time, she said that she told her to tell me she loved me and I was so surprised, that they moved I told tell I love her too and forgot to even ask, but I will get all that info when I talk to them again soon. What you described winters to be there, I think it will a big task to adjust for them, but they are still young though.
    I watched a lot of the fishing shows in Alaska and really enjoy them. :) Watched some on Sarah and her husband too and enjoyed them too. Think they're divorced now, but still in Alaska.

All this good debating on here, about "who's the best poster", really helps in narrowing it down.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

It's Ketchikan, A Island off the mainland, a small coastal town she said. She was working for a fishing lodge on another Island, and it was four months ago she moved there. Her sister told me she has moved back now to our hometown in the states now after the tourist season was over and she needed work. I guess with six kids one has to do what works for themselves. They probably won't miss the winter there. :rolleyes:

And it looks like there are a lot of best posters here as I keep reading but only one can win.:D

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Ketchikan is very much like Seattle in climate; not much winter at all. No real cold and not much snow generally. Part of "Occupied Canada" or "The Banana Belt" of Alaska.

Mary Stetler and Jake Smith like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Well, the "New People" are now embarrassed by whatever happened and have withdrawn from the friends they had formed through the summer. So sad. We have now seen a number of new families with children moving up just before winter. What are they thinking??? Many from Texas and some from Colorado who say they want to "get away from people" and live "a simpler life". I think they don't understand Alaska at all.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in north Idaho, we had a similar thing happening there each year. Usually in the spring, all of the “wanna-be” pioneers would come to Idaho, buy or rent a piece of ground and set up some kind of camp.
    If they bought the property, then they started felling trees and making a log cabin of sorts, which was to be ready by fall. No electricity, and no water; so they had to live with kerosene lamps and pack water in the back of their 4x4 pickup.
    They went to the livestock auction and bought chickens, rabbits, goats, and whatever else struck their fancy.

All went well during the warm summer months.
    They swam in the creeks and rivers and packed water for themselves, their animals, and maybe a small garden. But then fall came, and they started having cold nights.
    Most of the people had come from California, or someplace warm, and they had never experienced snow, either to shovel, or to have to drive in.
    Soon, the auction would be swamped with gunnysacks full of chickens, boxes of bunnies, and all of those milk goats, and the property would be up for sale, as the newcomers made their way back to California to keep warm.

I can imagine how much worse that must be with people who go to Alaska !

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sadly, the "New People" from Texas have lost the battle with Alaska. The husband took his own life yesterday and was found by Troopers who notified his wife. I guess the winter followed by the lousy summer played with his mind. Wife is in contact with the woman, but I don't know what she will do now that she is alone. Go back to Texas perhaps?

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is such sad news, @Don Alaska ; but as you had said before , these people had no clue how to cope with life in Alaska. Coming from a really hot climate like Texas can only have made it harder for them.
    I think that these survival “real life” television programs do no always give people the right idea about moving into some wilderness and surviving.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I feel worse for those who have to witness such things and who helplessly see the train wrecks coming than I do people who make [bad] adult decisions in their own lives. I've encountered people like this. There is no more dissuading them than there is any other child. At least no one else was put at risk having to search/rescue/recover either of them.

RIP

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Oh geez! What a way to support his wife.

Don Alaska likes this.