New. Vegetables

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kate Ellery, May 8, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I get a regular newsletter / specials from Costco and I couldn’t help but notice the “new version” of cauliflower
    Has anyone heard of this ? I certainly haven’t seen or heard of it ..wondering if it’s just cauliflower that’s shot up to seed ? and given a new fancy name, however the flowers are normally yellow if that’s the case

979D229E-2826-4CBF-A6FC-D0AA08E0A58B.jpeg

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Interesting/. I think it is someone selecting cauliflower to resemble broccolini. I am trying Litchi tomatoes this year--a "tomato" (not really) with thorns that is a substitute for cherries. We'll see how it does in this climate.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Haven't ever seen that kind.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It does resemble broccolini.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I vote broccolini as well.

I like the "No-Waste Ingredient" label. I've not cooked cauliflower stems, but I usually always use the entirety of a head of broccoli. I peel the stems, slice them, and cook them with the florets. Everything is No-Waste if you eat the whole thing...and then they gotta put that tiny amount in a plastic tub with a film over the top. :rolleyes:

I wonder what the nutrition profile is for those compared to normal cauliflower.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think it's cauliflower that has bolted. Buy some and let us know if it's good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I just read a trade article that says this long-stemmed stuff lends itself to mechanical harvesting. Cutting heads of broccoli and cauliflower is done by hand. I wonder if the consumer will see the cost-savings.

Another article refers to it as "caulilini." Caulilini Sweet Stem cauliflower is 100% cauliflower, whereas broccolini is a cross between two different cultivars.

I've not yet found a direct nutritional comparison to cauliflower, nor have I found a detailed nutritional analysis for caulilini...just the vague "dietary fiber, a small amount of protein and iron, and is a source of calcium and potassium." I gotta think that inverting the floret/stem ratio has changed the per-ounce vitamin & mineral content.

When I eat cauliflower, it is usually one of 3 ways:
    -raw with a dip
    -stir-fried with broccoli & other veggies
    -steamed and covered with a white cream sauce

I might try this, but I don't think I've ever bought broccolini. I'm too blue collar.

8. Kate Ellery

Registered

I don’t like broccolini it’s to “tough” chewy for me ….I like soft texture veggies ..but I love partly cooked cauliflower
    I’d think the Cauliflower blossom would be a similar texture to broccolini @John Brunner

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

I looked up a recipe for Caulilini®. It was blanched, dunked in ice water, then tossed with a sauce/dressing.

I like my veggies to be on the al dente side. That's one reason I won't eat canned or frozen asparagus...it's gotta be fresh and steamed just a tad. I prefer broccoli & cauliflower raw with a veggie dip.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I'd like to know how it got that way before wanting to eat it. But it looks good.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Kate Ellery

Registered

Maybe it’s broccoli dipped in bleach @Marie Mallery BCF540EA-0664-476A-BEAC-B49FE34386B8.gif

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Why not its in the water we drink. I do plenty enough damage to myself don't need any help from big ag other than what they add to my cigs.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Registered

I looked it up it was previously grown in Japan ( prob still is ) however its now grown in Australia.
    Actually South Aust is big producer of fruit and vegetables so I’d think its locally grown ( on the outskirts of Adelaide …..for the SA market)
    But that’s not to say it was not genetically altered in some way to make it white ..unlike its green “cousin” broccoli

https://www.foodanddrinkbusiness.com.au/in-store/flower-power-blossoms-new-cauli-variety#:~:text=The Cauli Blossom was first,owned produce company Perfection Fresh.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I doubt there is a big enough market to be GMO, @Kate Ellery. It is probably just selected or hybridized to achieve the desired result.

Marie Mallery and Kate Ellery like this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Registered

I very much doubt we will see the new Cauli in our shops up here where do live ,however I’ll take a look at it in Costco when we are down in the city next week, but don’t think I’d buy from Costco cause we all know they only sell in bulk sizes