Newly Diagnosed And Frankly, It's Scary

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey @Hedi Mitchell I have a third nipple that actually leaked colostrum after childbirth. Had you posted a photo of your UPO "unidentified protruding object" I could have saved you a doctor's trip. :D:D:D

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing to the eye laser. I had mine done for secondary cataracts and also glaucoma. I must admit the idea of the laser poking several small holes in my eyes so it would drain better, was a bit scary, but nothing to it. Sorry, to hear of the booster reaction. Since the booster for the Moderna isn't available here yet, I decided to skip it when it finally arrives. Glad you are doing good and hope your blood work shows great health.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear that you had a bad reaction to the booster, Lois. Hope you're feeling better now. When will you have the blood work results? You've had more than your share of health issues in the past year.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It was just about this time last year that I found the pink "bruise" on my breast and my life changed forever. Such a long year; I went through things I never thought I'd be able to tolerate but somehow I did. As I look back on it now, it all seems like a bad dream and I suppose in a way, it was.

I'm feeling pretty good these days. I don't spend much time dwelling on the possibility of a metastasis or a recurrence though I know the possibility exists. I'm glad about that because I'd hate to be living what's left of my life in fear. Life is pretty good these days but we all know how fleeting that can be. I'm enjoying the normalcy of it all, and appreciate everyday things more than I used to. (I'm still a cranky old broad, though. :p)

My medical bills amounted to just under half a million dollars for 10 months of hell. Thank goodness for Medicare and Aetna; our total out of pocket cost was $3000. Not bad for the gift of a few more years (if I'm lucky). I'm very grateful for that, and for recouping every health care premium I ever paid and then some.

Thanks again to all of you for your prayers, your encouragement, and for walking the scary path with me. You'll never know how much it meant to me then, and means to me still. Happy holidays, everyone.

5. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Excellent post, Beth. My best friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer and I probably will be re reading your epic thread. She is very similar to you as she has a big mouth, a big heart, a big laugh and is a political crank just like you! I love her anyway, 50 years of friendship is hard to get away from. Still checking in on you girl. Have the happiest of New Years............when you get to the Big Apple we'll talk about it!

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a great testimonial from an amazing woman. Congratulations on your attitude

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth,
    Happy holidays,
    You come through a trying year and deserve all the normalcy you can get.
    Enjoy every second,
    Tony

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I find this thread to be the most inspirational thread on the forum. Beth writes from a human perspective, not sugar coating or denying her emotions during her journey. She wasn't ashamed to admit to having tantrums. She never pretends to be someone she isn't. Beth has been and is an inspiration to me to not let cancer cast a shadow of fear over me and enjoy every day I have cancer-free. Beth is neither a hero or saint in my eyes, just one determined woman that stuck to her well oiled and loaded guns, narrowed her eyes, and stared death in the face, and said, "Not this time Mr. Grim Reaper, no no Nanette, prepare to be banished by whatever means it takes."

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know the actual numbers, but I think the chances of that are a whole lot lower than they used to be. Years ago, it was common for cancers to come back.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hey Lu; happy holidays. I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's diagnosis, but I'm sure with you in her corner she'll do fine. Take care of yourself, and never forget that Biden's a pathetic excuse for a president! :p

Shirley Martin likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@Al Amoling and @Faye Fox -- you both are much too kind. I dragged myself unwillingly through treatment; nothing amazing about me. Thanks again for the support you gave.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks so much, Tony. In a few months your wife will be done with this unpleasant business, too. I think of you both every day and hope you are both doing OK through this.

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Au contraire....you deserve all the praise you can get...You've been thru a heap of crap and looking good at the end

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, indeed... treatment has come a long way. Since I had IBC the odds were much higher that I wouldn't survive. Recurrence rates are also much higher with IBC so I basically just ignore statistics because I know that when all is said and done, it's just a crap shoot.

Faye Fox and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth

With the chemo treatment she's doing very well. See the pit & peak.

Beth Gallagher likes this.