Online Education

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Jim Veradyne, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't believe I did this but I told my youngest daughter she should start boning up on her computer skills. I am past help. Surprisingly she said she noticed this and agreed. Computer updates are happening faster, almost daily, it seems. Without these skills we may not be able to compete in the job market in the future.
    The young woman who helps me to clean my house offered to help with any computer education we may need. I may take her up on it.
    I still think that maybe Daughter should go to a contractor's school we have in Wisconsin, though.
    Knowing how to use a saw and a hammer comes in very handy for me.
    We even used a power drill to tap maple trees.:rolleyes:

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Another thread that I didn't comment on, that I should have.

Back in 2004, I took a couple of online classes in Purchasing/Inventory Management. Each course cost $100. I got a printed out paper Certificate that showed I passed each course. At the time, I was a Materials Coordinator for a healthcare company, assisting the Purchasing/Inventory Supervisor-Director. Wasn't doing any kind of Purchasing, but was semi-in-charge of Inventory. I showed the Director my two Certificates and he cared less. Fortunately, for me, the last year, or so, that I worked there, he did give me the Purchasing responsibilities, because he had so many company meetings to attend. However, I didn't do any negotiating with vendors. So, in the long run, the two courses did help me.

Funny thing is, I'm still do Purchasing, but at home now. I buy, online, anything/everything.

Nancy Hart and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

These are not online courses. However, you might find them interesting.
    Mother Earth News has Number of free Downloadable guides from cooking to gardening to Solar energy etc., I'm sure you'll find something you would like and Have an interest in.
    Here's the link.
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/free-guides/

Sam Calabria likes this.
  4. Sam Calabria

Sam Calabria Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got an online degree through Thomas Edison State College. That was back in 2003. But they are still active. I was in a car accident and recovering. I had never finished my undergraduate degree, even though I was only a few credits away. Did it through Thomas Edison. Worked out well. No finanical aid available though...at least at that time.

https://www.tesu.edu/

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I might have mentioned this here in another thread, regardless, maybe worth a post here also. Vincent Racaniello, a professor of virology at Columbia University Medical School, has put his entire graduate course lecture series on virology on YouTube, completely free. I looked it up on line a while back and it was $2,400 (IIRC) to audit the class at Columbia. The first lecture (below) is very general but fascinating.

Mary Stetler and Sam Calabria like this.
  6. Sam Calabria

Sam Calabria Well-Known Member
    Registered

Back in high school (1978) Columbia had some high school students from the area, take science classes with some of their professors (it was very nice, all free).

One guy was great. Scottish. Had worked for NASA. Geologist. Was studying Volcanic activity in Iceland, I think it was. They did archaeology up there. Note: Volcanic activity can produce deeply toxic gases. So, the professor said that you could tell which animals were the dumbest, because as the gas entered their area, they wouldn't leave, until they died. I think he was mainly referring to horses, if I remember...

I also remember him saying that in the early days of NASA they programmed the rocket in FORTRAN, in 30,000 lines of code. And the rocket crashed because they put in a "," instead of a ";".

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Lenzey Toole

Lenzey Toole New Member
    Registered

Yes and online education that they did not have years ago -- do now if you can afford, and then print out course to study AS most people only remember 20% of verbal by many ?? But also many can read but not print, because they are so smart they have a copywrite to protect their ignorance. there is so free education links below if you follow ??

Please Support us and Spread the word to help save others
    https://bibleinformation.createaforum.com

http://wordofgodevangelism.freeforums.net/

below is place to look for updates and free education resources and if not there get back to me
    https://www.wordofgodevangelism.org/word-of-god-evangelism

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2024
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Lenzey Toole, if the links you provided are to your own site(s), please don't do that. We have a place for member websites, but that is for participating members who have taken part in forum discussions. If you want to stick around and become a part of our forum family, you are welcome to post a link to your sites. I am removing the GoFundMe link because that is soliciting, whether it's yours or not.