Online Shopping / Delivery

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Silvia Benoit, Jul 13, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I suspect that Substitution Notification is different for groceries than it is for other things, but I've never orders groceries.

Vada Bloom likes this.
  2. John Brunner

I'm having more goofy USPS database issues.

I get an email every day with pics of the letters that are out for delivery, and info on packages that are also in the possession of the mailman. (This is their Informed Delivery Digest service you can sign up for.)

So the tea I ordered is in transit. Today's email says it is on the mail truck to be delivered today (Saturday, August 26):

usps 20230826 IDD.jpg

My mailbox is at the head of my right-of-way 1/2 mile from the house (and I don't check it every day), so I went to the website to sign up for notification when it hit my mailbox, and I see that it's scheduled for Monday:

usps 20230826 Track.jpg

The website says that my package is still at the USPS facility in the state capital about 60 miles up the road.

It's no big deal. Tea is not life or death. And the service here has been great. But the back end of the business has yet to catch up to the volume created by eCommerce.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We seldom have trouble with the USPS here, and it is our preferred method of delivery as the others are terribly expensive and often arrive in the mail anyway. As far as I know, nobody delivers out here except Amazon, but we can order online and pickup at the store for several merchants.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

5. John Brunner

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I just read this post on Next Door regarding Amazon drivers stealing stuff:

We now just got our packages back from Amazon. Beware of Amazon drivers or Amazon Flex drivers: Yesterday we got pictures from Amazon, saying that we got our packages. Little did we know the Amazon driver took our packages back and put them in their vehicle. Amazon found out and investigated.

So the driver puts your packages by your front door, takes a pic as Proof of Delivery, then steals the packages himself!!! This is up the road from me, so I imagine it would be a driver that services my house.

edit to add: Someone else posted that a friend in another Virginia town had that happen to them, and another person locally had the same experience. One person said that the Amazon driver went waaay around the side of the house and climbed over stuff to avoid the RING camera. Gee, aren't these great people to have on your property under the color of delivering for Amazon?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

More and more people have devices like the Ring doorbells now, and something like that would show if the delivery driver stole a package. I would think that they would be taking a chance on stealing anything unless they were sure no one was home, no neighbors nearby, or a security camera that would video them stealing the package.
    Ours is in our driveway, so there is a good chance we would have a thief on camera if they did steal anything. We are usually home when expecting any kind of delivery, especially if it is something large or expensive that might appeal to any kind of thief.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I still waiting on a pair of shoes that were posted 7 weeks ago ….they have been replaced but I’m still getting messages it’s in its way ..odd to say the least I just swipe and report as a scam

Silvia Benoit and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Part of our prep for winter was to put up heavy curtains in the doorways between the living room and kitchen area, and the hall area because our heat source is an electric heater in the living room and one in the bedroom for at night.
    So, we ordered two shower curtain rods from Walmart+ with the free delivery. (Since they have gone to self-checkout, it is unpleasant to go shop in-store at Walmart)
    The shower curtain rods each came separately, in HUGE boxes, about 4’tall and 2; wide, with one little skinny shower curtain rod and lots of paper stuffing in each box.
    They shipped them all the way from the East Coast !
    It would have been much simpler to take one of their delivery people and send them down the street to our house (about 2 miles away from Walmart), which is what they did when I ordered some yarn a few days ago.

Walmart is confusing with the shipping thing. If I order black olives, they send them along with the groceries. If I order a jar of green olives, FedEx brings it a day later.
    Other times, they just send a delivery driver from another nearby walmart, like they did with the yarn I ordered. Actually, I ordered two skeins of the same yarn. One came by delivery guy from a nearby Walmart, the other one came by FedEx the next day.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The same guy packed our 4oz box of mothballs. HUGE box with lots of brown packing paper.
    ????
    Green olives come in glass, though, Right?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

It does, but so do dill pickles, and other stuff, and they deliver those all of the time. I am sure that if I actually went to the store, they would have green olives on the shelf, so I do not know why they can’t deliver it.

Mary Stetler likes this.