Our County Fair Theme This Year

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Read that our County Fair's theme this year is: Cowboy Boots and Country Roots

Now, in all honesty, this is truly a joke! We've been living in this County for almost three years now and very little of either are here.

Yes, the boots and other western attire can (big word "can") come out of the closet during the Fair, but we sure didn't see much western wear when we were at this Fair last year. Both of us were wearing full western wear, including hats, but that definitely isn't the norm for visitors of this Fair to wear.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I know, I know, just another complaint we have about where we live/county we live in. But, I thought the Theme was quite amusing.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

According to Wide Open Country, Florida is the tenth-best state in which to find the cowboy culture alive and well. Texas is #1 and Kansas is #2.

Cowboy Lifestyle Network says that Fort Worth, Texas and Cody, Wyoming are the #1 and #2 cowboy towns. Florida didn't make the list on this one, but that was from 2020 so I'm sure they've moved up since then. Texas seems to be the place for you, though. Probably not Austin.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, in the list you provided, Montana and Wyoming are in-between #1 Texas and #10 Florida.

As for Florida, there are no rodeos in Florida during the summer months due to high humidity. From what I've read, all of the cattle ranches are south of Orlando, in the Kissimmee area. The three top ranking counties for cattle in Florida are Okeechobee, Highlands, and Osceola counties. And, like the article says: Most of Florida's cattle are used for breeding and nursing, and they're typically shipped out West once they get near adulthood.

IOW, Ken, Florida is much more known for Disney World, Key West, Cruise Lines and the beaches than any kind of ranch cowboy or rodeo cowboy stuff. If people want to see or take a vacation at a full-blown cattle ranch, they'd go to parts of Texas, Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and a few other states. Basically, nobody relates Florida with ranching/rodeo, even though both do happen there.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Here is something that I'll bet some, or maybe none at all, knew on this forum: That guys from Texas wear their Wrangler jeans with a starched crease down the front of each leg? Like wearing dress slacks. That means those jeans are pretty starched to do that. I've seen this on the singer George Strait all of the time.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Another thing, not all of Colorado is ranching. Along the Front Range, where we live, is mostly "big-small city" type places. Ranching is mostly done on the Eastern Plains.

Years upon years ago, this was very different, but today............

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This is @Beth Gallagher...........apparently never seen George Strait in concert. His Wrangler jeans always have a crease in the front of each leg. While doing a concert or attending an Awards Ceremony, both legs of his Wrangler's are creased.

It turns out that the "crease" is/was a trend. But, if we are watching a "live" rodeo on Roku, from Texas, we see many guys wearing Wrangler jeans with a crease in each leg.

Remember, Beth, you don't get around any rodeo people. We do. Perhaps not every guy in Texas wears a crease, but there are those that do.

8. Ken Anderson

Of course, but that wouldn't have made the point that I wanted to make.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

OMG! I just checked my Wrangler jeans....they have a crease in the front of the legs!

I'M A COWGIRL! An
    d I never knew it.

Yee-haw!

10. Ken Anderson

There was a time when I would press a crease into the center of my jeans.

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, just what is your "point"?

We live in a city in the County and, believe us, 99% of the people here don't even know what the word "cowboy" is, whether a ranch or rodeo type. That's why the theme for the Fair is so darn funny. It would be like having this theme for a Fair in NYC. Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The key to understanding the 2022 Larimer County Fair theme is the word ROOTS! It has nothing to do with how anyone dresses or if they give two hoots about modern PRCA rodeo or attend the Hall of Fame inductions which anyone can that pays a membership, even a low-cost membership. It has nothing to do with whether Beth's husband creases his LEVI'S or not.

PRCA rodeo was started in 1936. Cattle ranching in Colorado goes back a long time before that or even rodeo.

Perhaps the planners are hoping to bring back some of the old spirit of why fairs were started in the first place. Colorado plays an important role in the history of mining and ranching in the USA. How can anyone judge that the fair will have nothing doing with "cowboy boots" before it has started? What are roots cowboy boots? Certainly not the modern rodeo roper boots that would have been mocked in the days of working range ranch hands "cowboys."

Cowboy boots had a shaped higher heel for a reason. They had high shafts for a reason. They had pointed toes for a reason. They were handmade. The cowboy boot mainly designed by the vaquero was designed for riding and roping. It was a range cattle work boot. They were made slip-on for quick donning. A sleeping cowboy suddenly awoke by some problem, didn't have time to get on lace-up boots securely. Maybe this is what the fair planners are hoping to revive.

When you dress up in western attire Cody, that is just for show as is any fashion. It doesn't put you on the same level as a working cattle ranchhand and doesn't make you a cowboy.

Wear your western costume to the fair and no one will notice or care. Honoring roots has nothing to do with how one dresses, nothing!

Maybe a different attitude about your local fair might bring you enlightenment. Go to see the livestock shows and the produce and handicraft exhibits and don't worry about how others are dressed. Pay special attention to historical exhibits.

Starching and front creasing jeans was started and used by ranch range cowboys that didn't wash their jeans frequently. The starching helped repel dirt and gave it a bit of waterproofing and with the stiffness and the crease made them quick to get on. Again this process was done to help in quick response to an important situation. Starched heavy all-cotton denim is uncomfortable and mostly replaced by canvas jeans such as Carhartt.

If you see the 2022 Larimer County Fair from that point of view then perhaps you might enjoy it and learn something. Why go if you are going to let others dressed casually and comfortably (you judge as not serious about ranch living) ruin the experience? Some of those casual non-Western dressers may be the real deal working cowboys and cowgirls. Why would they wear their work clothes on their day off?

You will never fit in until you understand what you are trying to fit into.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

All I can say is this, Faye.............whatever! IOW, you have your opinion about the theme and we have ours. Thing is, we live in the County, you and other members on here don't. We know what goes on and what doesn't.

Don't know why, but people who don't actually live here are always trying to tell us about Loveland and Larimer County. We've lived here almost three years now...........we know!

Also, we don't need to "learn" about PRCA rodeo. Compared to most fans, we are experts in knowledge of it. As far as ranching goes, of course you will know more, but we know some as well.

Many retired, or no longer competing (like myself) rodeo cowboys still wearing western attire. Our apartment looks like a rodeo and Old West Museum with pictures.

But, thanks for your reply. It was quite interesting!:D:rolleyes:

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Then don't go.

Beth Gallagher and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't go to a County Fair and see all of the livestock and farm/ranch equipment. Nope, that isn't going to happen! We had a great time last year when we went. Heck, I even gave a quick roping lesson to a few kids and their father. They all love it. And, besides that, got to have a Funnel Cake!