Parking With Wheels Turned In, Or Out

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

FANTASTIC idea but I would think that a man of your caliber would have suggested an M1A2 Abrams or at the very least, a Sherman.

2. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

In threads as difficult as this one is, it might be more expedient if we had a Power Point presentation with little stick figures and graphs and such.
    Ya might even invite the Secretary of Transportation, Pete Buttigieg, as a guest writer and between ya’ll we’ll all get the low down on the upside….
    or is it the updown on the low side or the side up on the downlow. I thinks it’s the down under from the upside . yeah…that’s it.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The question I have that you didn't answer, is was the vehicle with turned front wheels, crooked in the parking spot or was it well centered.?

I don't fault you for picking another spot, but what I am reading from your post is that you based your decision to pick another spot solely on how the front wheels were cranked. Then you pose the question for discussion do we ever wonder if that vehicle will hit me backing out of that spot?

My answer is no based on the position of the front wheels alone. If that vehicle is parked crooked indicating they cut corners, then yes, but I based it solely on the vehicle position, never how the front wheels are cranked. No, I don't worry if they will remember to turn their wheels . If I did, it would also be a worry parking across from a well-centered auto with straight front wheels because what if that driver forgets to turn and hits my auto in the rear? I had that happen once just a few years ago. Also, parking nose-to-nose would be a worry because what if they put their auto in drive instead of reverse? I have had that happen twice in my 48 years of driving! The only time I have had a problem such as you describe was a van turned too sharp and put an ugly groove in the side of the van. It didn't hurt my heavy steel pickup bumper one bit.

I try not to worry about things that are extremely unlikely to happen.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And, and, and……what if they backed into the parking spot? Would how their wheels are turned make a difference?
    I declare nay. The wheels on the car will go round and round and only hit a pedestrian!

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Since I seek perfection in all things and as we all know, practice makes perfect, I am practicing now during my journey toward senility so when the time comes, I will be perfectly senile.

7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

And a comet may land on my house one day.......I sure hope I'm wearing clean underwear.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

LOL……If a comet landed on your house, I doubt if anyone in the world would be wearing clean underwear.

Mary Stetler and Von Jones like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Tsk, tsk. Faye, please don't tag me in threads that I'm avoiding. Then I'm forced to come and look at another "pile-up on I-70". :p :D:D:D

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What are you talking about, Beth, absolutely none of my thread are worth avoiding. LOL:):D

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I apologize twice, once to you for the tag and again to the forum for not putting such threads on ignore! :D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Your honor and members of the jury, I am reopening my case in light of new evidence. At 11:15 AM PST 1/8/23, I witnessed this vehicle pull into this spot as I was exiting a friend's vehicle ready to make an appearance in a local fine authentic food Mexican restaurant. I watched as the driver turned his front wheels and perfectly centered his vehicle without even coming near the lines on either side. He exited his vehicle leaving the front wheels as is.

I approached the older man and asked him if he would straighten his front wheels when he exited. He looked puzzled and said that would be stupid. He would only straighten his wheels once fully backed out to the point of being straight and then straighten them and proceed forward. IOW (I have been waiting to use that) you will follow the same exact path you came in up to the point your vehicle is straight or the point you cranked your wheels coming in.

After checking the rear line, the vehicle was well inside its space. I was concerned a well-centered vehicle of this length might be hanging over its allotted space in the rear.

Personally, I like this parking job. I wouldn't hesitate to park next to him.

If I may approach the bench I want to submit this documented photo into evidence.

License plates are covered due to security and privacy concerns.
    pk auto.jpg

13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

They’re all in worth avoiding !)!!

Mary Robi likes this.
  14. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Ah, but then what would we laugh at?

15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member