Patience?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"When I'm sitting in a restaurant and the table is close to another table where Spanish is totally being spoken, I'm patient, but really want to say something. I don't, but I do want to."
    You should say something - & show them what you really are.

Mary Robi and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The thing is Cody, the Spanish speakers weren't talking to you and I don't understand your impatience. Had they been trying to converse with you, then I totally understand your impatience. Folks conversing among themselves can speak in what ever language they want. If that bothers you, then best to put in earplugs when in earshot of folks speaking different languages. You and wife can converse by text like the young folks do.

I get impatient with folks that try to force me into adapting their ways or lifestyle or cast judgment's on me because I differ from them. I get impatient with all the ones that hate the country that gave them the freedom and opportunity to live as they please.

I get impatient with rodeo fans, announcers, or participants that use bad English trying to sound "rodeo." "That is what I done, after I seen what happened." They leave a bad image of country folks, many that are highly educated.

Mary Stetler and Mary Robi like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If I do say something, which I did a week ago, it was "just want to let you gentlemen know that I speak and understand full Spanish. I even know the bad words." They looked at me like "uh oh!".

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Faye, many people in America have gotten tired of hearing Spanish spoken, that's all. When you call a credit card company and the first thing said is, "in English, press" and then, "in Spanish, press". Just too many people, from South America that refuse to learn English or use it if they know it.

As for "living as you please", that definitely doesn't happen in America like it use to. We are alway being told what to do by city, county, state and federal governments. There are plenty of complaints on SOF about all four of them.

As far as "rodeo" goes, you just have a different outlook on it than we do. Rodeo has changed in past/present years. Some don't like all of the changes, while others do. I use the term "turn and burn or can chaser" when talking about Barrel Racing. My wife has three college degrees and she knows all of "rodeo lingo" as well.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not talking about rodeo "lingo," but rather intentional misuse of the English language. It isn't correct English to say, "I seen it." It is, "I saw it." For example correct would be: "Today I saw the last ride, so now I have seen the entire rodeo." I am not picking on you Cody, just trying to point out the difference in jargon and improper English.

I

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    Mary Robi and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Then what? However, I do remember when rodeo announcer Boyd Polhamus asked MRA Jordan Tierney a question in the arena that sort of embarrassed her (weight). When we were at the Marriott in Colorado Springs for the Hall of Fame Induction Weekend, we ran into the Head of MRA and she told us that she doesn't really like Boyd that much, because of the questions he's liable to ask a MRA in the arena at a rodeo.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It would probably convince them if you said that in Spanish.

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody: Si fueras un vaquero de verdad, hablarías inglés cuando estuvieras parado detrás de mí en la fila del carrito de tacos.

Vasquero: Bonito disfraz señor. Parece que la esposa lo compró en la farmacia. Tenga cuidado de no derramar salsa para tacos sobre él.

Hedi Mitchell and Mary Stetler like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I was faking speaking and understanding Spanish. However, a prerequisite class to go to college, for my high school classmates, was Spanish. It was the only foreign language class/classes that were offered. I didn't have to worry about it, because I joined the Navy instead of going to college.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

not exactly what he said to them. :confused:

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I went to the church office with my wife from which she administers a charity program. Talk about patience! I told her they were lucky I was not in charge of it, as nothing would be given away...people trying to get their phones connected as they haven't paid their bills, single guys living alone that need food assistance, and all kind of other stuff, but when she calls them back, sometimes they hang up on her if they have to put forth any effort such as calling the phone company to make arrangements. I am not patient, and I guess I am not charitable either, especially with those who do not help themselves.

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

And they were probably thinking, "Why can't this old Gringo mind his own business and let us have our lunch and conversation in peace?"

Mary Stetler and Shirley Martin like this.
  13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If someone tells a lie, can you ever be sure that they are telling the truth afterward?

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Then again, just how many members of this forum enjoy hearing Spanish spoken right next to them? They can't even stand hearing this in Spanish on their phones, "For Spanish, press this".