Patience?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My french is bad but my spanish is worse. I often listen to see what I can understand but that is probably rude--eavesdropping.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

LOL…..
    I rent 2 houses to Mexican and Guatemalan mixed families and another to Guatemalans. I have a pretty good grasp of both languages which does seem to keep the paranoid side of me at bay.
    I do have one Guatemalan renter who flat refuses to speak English but after 5 years and raising two kids who speak perfect English, Guatemalan and Spanish, I’m very aware that she understands me when I opt to speak English.

It does try my patience somewhat but I have learned that it’s just a game. A silly one but a game nonetheless.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

LOLO i use to mange some shop workers who tried to pull that ,no speaky English crap. i said you comprehend - paycheck? Si - you comprehend - your fired? Si - you speak English. Regardless of who you are, if you move to foreign country you must learn their language. Specially if you have been here 25 years! :D

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

i know more Spanish than other languages-- bits and pieces. However as stated in my earlier post, i cheated or faked the Spanish i wrote .. just ask AI he or she or it, knows everything:D

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The Spanish I do know, which is very little, I learned from working for a company in Santa Ana, California. A number of nice Mexican people worked in manufacturing and, basically, I learned from listening to them.

But, the point is, there are those that have lost patience with places that list English, Spanish, Vietnamese or any other language in store isles. Last time I was in Pep Boys Auto Parts, that had three different languages showing auto stuff in each isle.
    And, I've bought things on Amazon that the instruction manual was printed in three different languages.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I understand what you are writing but…..
    You have to think of it as a good way to sell goods.
    Many foreigners who now live in the U.S. will learn to speak some English but that doesn’t mean they can read it.
    Truthfully, Spanish is much easier to read than English is so for a store to go out of its way to accommodate “other than English” speaking people is derned good salesmanship in my book.

So far as instruction manuals go, again, the manufacturers are trying to accommodate the other major languages so they can sell their product in another country.

You got to stop and think Cody. English, as it is spoken in the United States, is probably the newest language on the entire planet.
    It is nice to know that nearly every major country in the world promotes English in their schools but still, our American language is in fact, still in its infancy comparatively speaking.
    To be sure, since English hasn’t even been declared to be our National language, we American English speaking people don’t have a whole lotta ground to stand on.

Maybe, just maybe it’s the foreigners who are being patient with us?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bingo.

And this thread is making me lose patience.

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

English used to be the most learned second language in the world. I went to Europe in the 60's and could pretty much make it finding people who could speak English and if they gave me enough time to translate what was said, in my head, I could make some sense of what was being said in restaurants and shops. I know how to say bathroom in 3 or 4 languages.
    But now that we are no longer the center of the universe, English is losing it's place. Our money was the driver before. It no longer has value. And our president has made us less than trustworthy.
    Spanish may win by shear numbers now as the most spoken language.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Hey senior! I got to go. Donde is the banjo in this place?

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

That sounds about right.:rolleyes:

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I took 3 years of Spanish in high school. It wasn't until then that I finally understood the various parts of speech (present participle, past participle, etc) because there are so few exceptions to the rule in Spanish.

That being said, frustration with the invasion we're undergoing and the feeling of being in a foreign county in our own land does not make one a bigot. You better believe that most Europeans are feeling the same thing...likely even stronger because of how their much older cultures are being destroyed. It ain't the outsiders as much as it is the corrupt destructive politicians (black ants, red ants, jar shakers.)

12. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Quite common for bigots to justify their bigotry by saying everyone else is one.
    No further proof of ignorance is needed.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't consider myself a bigot, but perhaps I am. I also don't like the "Hispanicing of the USA." None of the other nationalities that come/came here got the same advantages. No signs in Italian or French or "Press 1 for Zimbabwe Tonga."

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

You're going to play your banjo in the bano? Let me get my castanets and I'll stand outside the door. Maybe we can get Faye to bring her guitarra.

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If someone is “unreasonably” biased against a person or group, that’s bigotry.
    We feel the invasion, we see what it has done to this country and we dislike or even hate that our tax dollars are going to people who aren’t citizens or dare I write, even want to be when there are so many citizens who are in a hurt (like homeless vets) and could use a boost.

To me, there is a good reason for some animus and ill feeling so it’s not bigotry.

As it stands, I dislike having to rent houses to people who I know are using the system but the owner and the government has other ideas about the subject so I’m stuck.
    Alas, after a few years, I just roll with it now instead of arguing the point with the owner.