Pets As Friends & Family

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ken Anderson, May 10, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that dogs (at least some dogs) are almost like having a little child, and love to receive presents. Back when my Chipper was young, he loved to go everywhere with me, and since I lived in a small north Idaho town, it was safe for me to take him along.
    We went to the thrift store every Monday morning, and Chipper would wait in the truck to see if I had found him any new toys. He loved toys, especially ones that made noise or talked, like his Elmo doll.
    If I had a new toy, he was beside himself with happiness, but if I didn’t bring him one, he would curl up on the seat and tuck his little nose under his tail and be sad.

Poodle is not even remotely interested in toys, but he like clothes and something he can cuddle up in. He even likes the little puppy pampers I put on him overnight, and happily stands there for that and his bathrobe every night at bedtime.
    Yesterday, we went to the thrift store and I found a soft, fluffy blue baby Sherpa blanket and got it for Poodle. When I gave it to him, he seemed to understand right away that this was his special blanket, and he has been curling up in it ever since.
    I even put it on the bed for him last night, and it is on the Poodle Couch in the day time.

1626D9A1-A974-4E19-830C-9C6A45123870.jpeg

2. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Lost Dog Strolls Into Police Station To Report Herself Missing
    She solved her own case.
    By Stephen Messenger
    Published on 11/17/2022 at 11:14 AM

Recently, after this sweet dog named Rosie somehow ended up getting lost near her home in England, she picked the perfect place to go for help.

She simply strolled into a local police station to report (in her own way) her own disappearance.

“[You] can see her approaching the doors before walking in and taking a seat in the corner,” the Leicestershire Police wrote. “Good dog!”

Here’s footage of Rosie in action:

(my browser wouldn't bring up the video)

It’s unclear how long Rosie had been lost, but after making her presence known to authorities, it was only a matter of time before things were set right.

“Our staff fetched some water for Rosie, and made fast friends with plenty of fuss,” police wrote. “Thankfully she was wearing a collar, so a lead was available to contact Rosie's owner, who was delighted she had been found safe and well.”

Rosie’s own cleverness had made their job easy — though she was pretty tuckered out after the little drama finished unfolding.

3. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

4. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have a motto here.....

Dogs are for life not just for Christmas....

Each dog I've taken in I've loved, fed,cleaned and pampered until the day they departed. I've never given away any of my dogs as I've been fortunate enough to be able to afford them and any medication they needed.

5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

So sweet, dogs do understand ,our Becky loved her toys, she would pile them up. She is in my Avatar ,she is swimming next to me,she also loved the beach, that was in July 2019 she pased a few month later.

How old is your Poodle now Yvonne?

6. Mitchell Hartwig

Mitchell Hartwig Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is right, for sure.

It is a commitment . It would not be fair to the dog (or cat).

Most of life is not "fair", never has been, never will be. But you can make that part with the dog/cat fair. They are damned easy to please, compared to a human.

7. Yvonne Smith

Poodle was supposed to be around 3-4 when I got him, and I have had him for 4 years now; so he should be around 7-8 this year, @Marie Mallery .
    He has really developed a lot since I got him, not in size, but in comprehension and intelligence.
    He didn’t even understand that dogs were supposed to have a name when i got him, and he soon learned to listen and that when I used the “Poodle” word, it was about him.
    Chipper used to listen to every word that Bobby and I said, his little head looking back and forth between us as our conversation progressed, and now Poodle does the same thing; so he is definitely learning a lot more words, and maybe his mind-reading, too.

I think that Poodle even tries to talk, which Chipper never did (he used mental telepathy to communicate with me). Poodle uses a lot of the same sounds, and some of them sound like easy words that a dog voice could manage. He has said “uh-huh” and “um-Hmm” for a long time now and also something that sounds like “ou-woo” when he wants to go out.
    When I ask him if it is bologna time, his answer is a long bunch of “uh-Huh’s”, over and over; so I am sure he is saying that he agrees it is time.

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

He sounds like a little card and he also sounds so good for you,glad you have him.

9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

If true it's amazing!!!

0d__700.jpg

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

11. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  12. Mitchell Hartwig

Mitchell Hartwig Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's *real* easy to make a pet's life really, really fine--this does not involve money, just some attention and affection--and if you don't do it, you're a damned fool.

...now off his soapbox... ;)

13. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Except for 2 weeks I've had a dog in my life since I'm five or six, I'm 79 now, I can't imagine being without one or two or three.
    I've never seen a person wag their tail like a dog.:p
    Happiest when my Tia greets me, sometimes I'm just sitting and she'll jump up and snuggle her head under my chin how can you beat that?

14. Yvonne Smith

I just got Poodle a package of the doggie pajamas , in several colors. They are lightweight and stretchy, and Marco Poodle loves them ! He really likes wearing clothes, and he was trying to poke his little nose into the outfit before I barely had it out of the package and was telling him that it was new clothes for Poodle.

56DD1794-D7CF-4BC0-818E-C0834021BC56.jpeg

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Meet Delilah the soon to be addition to our family. approx one year old female, abandoned a few months ago. Youngest daughters long time friend, her parents took in the dog but they are a bit older than us and he has been diagnosed with cancer. We have had two German Shepard over last 30 years. The solid white one I still can't discuss with out bawling.
    We have watched video of her and she is feisty but behaved. Hubby has lots of work cut out for himself, but he will love every minute.
    I am excited to get the dog and hope all will be well. Radar will be a terd until we can get him use to her. So Oh boy gonna fun fun fun around her.

Attached Files: