Pickled Eggs

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My second try is better. This time, I used vinegar, garlic, mustard seed, a Habanero pepper, a touch of sugar, salt, and some dill.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Okay, it's been a few years so it's time to pickle some more eggs. It's not something I have a taste for every day, but I bought a jar on Amazon a few weeks ago and they were okay, but nothing to get excited about. I can do better and I think I'll do that tomorrow.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not fond of pickled eggs, but it a good way to preserve eggs.

4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I like pickled whole beets and apparently so do a lot f folks...aI haven' been able to buy them at two grocaery store's and my os has tried to get at Walmart...I found the exact brand on Amazon and they arrive this Friday

5. Ken Anderson

Rather than the basic pickled eggs, which taste more like white vinegar than anything else, I've added a little bit of dill, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and a bay leaf. Now it's a matter of waiting a week to see how it turns out.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

It's only been about six days, and I think I need to give them a few more days. I pickled 18 eggs, with two jars of 8 and a small jar of only 2, intended to be my test jar. I ate them today and they were good, but I think a few more days will make them better. I hadn't used jalapenos for pickling eggs before. It seemed like a good idea, but I was, I'm afraid, a little too conservative with them. There's only a hint of the jalapeno taste. Next time, I think I'll use the same ingredients but I'll add more jalapeno.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

If they turn out OK, please post the recipe (or a link.) I recall my father eating these, but they were pickled in beet juice. It was interesting to see how the purple permeated the white. I never even recall trying one...ever.

So how long can eggs keep if they have been pickled?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Beet juice is a common alternative to white vinegar in pickling eggs and is also used in conjunction with white vinegar. Since I absolutely hate beets, I've never tried pickled eggs that used beet juice.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I never buy beets. Every few years I may take a couple from a buffet. They always taste like apples to me. But I've never bought them. I probably never will.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I suspect if you tried roasted beets it would change your opinion about beets. Roasted beets are a world away from pickled beets, although I like them both. Son #3 hated pickled beets but found roasted beets to be delightful. Most of the eggs I have pickled have been in the leftover bine from beets.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

That's not a bad idea. I like roasted root veggies. But I actually do like pickled beets on those rare occasions I pluck them from the buffet...they're just not something I seek out.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Every time I see recipes or food items on the internet, I am reminded of why the words "impulse" and "control" do not belong together in my life. Having never tried them before, I just made a couple of batches of pickled eggs.

The first batch is a modified standard recipe someone posted in an AllRecipes comment to the basic recipe: white vinegar, water, sugar, salt, a whole head of garlic, a large onion, 3 bay leaves, and a splash of dill pickle juice.

The second batch are mustard-flavored: cider vinegar, sugar, salt, cornstarch, mustard powder, turmeric.

Every once in a while I'll make a big sorta-Cobb salad with chicken, bacon and hard boiled eggs, usually topped with a homemade honey-mustard dressing. I bet those mustard eggs will go good on it.

I'll taste-test Sunday afternoon.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Our hens just started laying, so we expect to be overrun with eggs soon. I will try a few recipes and see....

Alan Sidlo and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

I've yet to get a good fix on the shelf life of non-pressure canned eggs. And so many recipes have onions and garlic in them...I gotta think that affects shelf life. I would assume the vinegar takes care of the botulism that garlic is prone to when in an anaerobic environment.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Garlic vinegar is perfectly safe as far as I can determine. I think the garlic oil is too as long as you remove the garlic before storage. Leaving the cloves in gives environments suitable for C. botulinum growth, but once the garlic itself is removed, those no longer exist.

John Brunner likes this.