Portage

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Nancy Hart, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Faye, I like really old pictures. It's great to hear stories about the places in the pictures, from folks who have been there. Thanks.

2. Nancy Hart

Registered

Slightly off topic....

Ten minutes ago I saw THIS COMMERCIAL on TV, promoting a riverboat cruise down the Columbia River, tracing part of the Lewis and Clark expedition. First time I've seen it.

I wonder if everyone gets the same TV commercials, or could they be targeting those also. If you take all the keywords I've used in the last couple of weeks you might come up with this. o_O

Before anyone gets all bent out of shape about privacy, I'll have to admit it sounds rather interesting, if you were forced to take a cruise. I never would have thought of it.

Bess Barber and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart I have been on it while ported, but never took the cruise. It looks fun, but a bit expensive. I have traveled Lewis and Clark route from Montana to the Pacific, many times. Also been up and down the river many times. All beautiful travels.
    paddlewheeler-riverboat.jpg

Bess Barber and Nancy Hart like this.
  4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I always wanted to ride a steamboat. The closest I've gotten to it is the one from the parking lot at Disney World to the actual theme park. :D

5. Nancy Hart

Registered

The Niagara Portage Railway

"Before the English captured Fort Niagara from the French in 1759, all shipments of furs, munitions and trade goods were packed over the Lewiston escarpment [1] by Indians hired by the French. ... A railway was designed and built by British Captain John Montresor up the face of the cliff, so boats could come up the river to the head of navigation at Lewiston.
    [1] Escarpment ...a steep slope, especially one at the edge of a plateau, or separating areas of land at different heights.

niagara portage1.jpg

niagara portage2.jpg

The escarpment along the Niagara River, ca 1902

great gorge niagara escarpment 1902.jpg

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

7. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

What a completely cool trip that would be!!! I would love it.

Bill Boggs and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Best cruise is 9 days for $3100 and already booked through 2020.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

A one time only portage ... Fitzcarraldo

"Fitzcarraldo is a 1982 West German film, written and directed by Werner Herzog, filmed in Peru and Brazil. It portrays would-be rubber baron Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald, an Irishman who is determined to transport a steamship over a steep hill, in order to access a rich rubber territory in the Amazon Basin. The film is derived from the historic events of Peruvian rubber baron Carlos Fitzcarrald.

In the 1890's, Fitzcarrald arranged for the transport of a steamship across an isthmus from one river into another, but it weighed only 30 tons, and was carried over in pieces to be reassembled at its destination. The film production involved moving an entire 320-ton steamship over a hill, without the use of special effects. Herzog believed that no one had ever performed a similar feat in history, and likely never will again, calling himself 'Conquistador of the Useless.' "

Some portage scenes

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Motorboat leaving Lake Alice, at Kings Dam, and entering the Wisconsin River. Lincoln County, Wisconsin, 1950's

boat portage lake Alice Wi.jpg

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

"The steamboat Klamath was the first and only vessel larger than a launch boat to operate on Lower Klamath Lake, which straddled the border between Oregon and California. This vessel is chiefly known for having been hauled overland by rail from Lake Ewauna to Upper Klamath Lake.

Between 1905 and 1909, Klamath was an essential link in a transportation line to Klamath Falls, Oregon, which involved rail, stage coach, and steamer travel."
    It became tourist transportation taking visitors on part of the trip to Crater Lake.

Steamer_Klamath_hauled_by_rail_1909.jpg

Bess Barber likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

A funicular is a transportation system designed for steep inclines — specifically using two counterbalanced and track-guided passenger cars attached to the ends of a single cable, which is looped over a pulley at the upper end. They were often simply called Inclines.

The hills around Pittsburgh, PA, were once strewn with inclines of various sizes and shapes. There were passenger inclines for pedestrian traffic and larger ones for wagons, automobiles and freight.

Clint Burton's web page, with more pictures:. The Brookline Connection: .Pittsburgh's Old Inclines

Joe Riley and Lois Winters like this.
  13. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A couple of years before he was taken by cancer, I had the honor of calling Ralph Freeze my friend. In truth he became a mentor and as with so many before me I'd been given the opportunity to experience his passion for history and preservation of our tributaries as he helped to shape the lives of so many bestowed with this responsibility today.

Rita, his wife once announced that of all the people in his close circle Ralph considered myself and another highly respected educator as the two sons he wished he had. It was humbling to hear this as he had nurtured this other fellow's thirst for adventure since his early teens.

Ralph was recognized in life for the affect he had on local and global conservation by the renaming of the North Branch of the Chicago River ante-mortem (while he was alive) in his honor. He was quite the collector of boats, and it's because of him I too have been bitten by the bug of canoecraft. Thank you my dear friend, your memory lives on in the people whom have been touched by your presence in my life. Your birchbark carries on still plying the rivers of your youth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Nancy Hart and Bess Barber like this.
  14. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

@Alan Sidlo Great picture and story!! I must've missed when you joined, so WELCOME!! I hope you enjoy the group. I look forward to posting with you!

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  15. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you Bess! I'm in total agreement with you regarding this website. It offers so many opportunities to make meaningful connections