Posting Links Help Needed

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Richard Whiting, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Joanna Newton

Joanna Newton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

p.s. I hope I'm not taking you further off-track if the computer you're using doesn't work the same way.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That is the right click menu. You won't see "right click" in the list since "right click" is how you access that menu with a mouse. When you see the list of things to do, is "paste" listed there? Then copy the link you want to share, open a reply box on the forum, and press ALT and tap the touch pad, then choose PASTE.

Richard Whiting and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I went back to youtube video. I held down ALT and touched screen with one finger. Paste is NOT listed there.
    What I DO see:
    loop
    copy video URL
    copy embedded code
    copy debug info

I clicked "copy video info"
    Nothing happens.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

On youtube, just below the video, it says “share”, and when you click that you have copied the video link.
    That is ALL you need to do on youtube.

Then, go back to the forum and paste the information into your post, either by using the ALT key and tap the touch pad and choose “paste” from the list, or by tapping the touchpad with TWO fingers, which will also open up the option to choose paste.
    Then , you paste the link into your post on the forum . Once you submit the post, the video will then show up in your post.

5. Richard Whiting

Registered

I did precisely as you said. however, it now seems that chromebook has no way to paste. or, at least it is well hidden.

thank you, everyone for your time helping me. I really appreciate it :)
    I now give up. too complicated for me

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Richard, if it's new to you it can be confusing, I know it was to me at first years ago, but as you keep using it will get easier for you. I've been on a Chromebook for several years now. Are you using a mouse with it? I have before but found it easier without one. With the mouse, you just click the right button and without it, you don't have to press any button to right-click, you just use two fingers and touch the touchpad, and it will give the options of cut, copy, paste, and other options. If you press down on the touchpad with one finger and slide the other finger with the other hand slowly it will copy sentences in blue or black, then you touch the keypad with two fingers and it will give you chance to copy. Then you can go where you want to put it, in a post right click with two fingers on the touchpad, and paste it.
    You should pull it up on youtube and watch some of the videos and it will get easier for you. Hope this helps you and good luck. :)

7. Richard Whiting

Registered

Thank you, Jake.
    I will try this. I must have some king of mental block because such things confuse me to no end.
    PS: I don't have a mouse. Just a touch pad.
    Taking your 1st step: I bring up a youtube video and start playing it. I then tap two fingers on the touch pad. That shows me a short menu.:
    Loop
    copy video URL
    copy embedded code
    copy debug info.
    That's all I see

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

Then you hit,
    copy video URL, and you will see what looks like a paper clip appears on that video and it's copied.

After that, you go to where you want to put it up tap two fingers on the touchpad, and hit paste.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

As @Jake Smith said, the Chromebook is actually a very sophisticated computer. Because it runs on Chrome OS, it is different to use than either a Windows or an Apple/Mac laptop would be , and the touchpad does many different things, depending on how you swipe and how many fingers you use.
    Until you learn what does what with a Chromebook, it can seem like it is not proficient at all. I was having trouble when i first got my Chromebook, and I started watching Chromebook tutorials on Youtube. That helped a lot, and then i found a great book that shows exactly how everything works, and does it in simple steps.
    It was expensive, but they had some used versions cheaper, so I bought a used one. Here is the one that I bought, and we also have threads here on the forum specifically about Chromebooks.

This is the book that I like.

4AF1E713-9EB2-4CC8-B939-9AF80CEE730D.jpeg

Richard Whiting and Jake Smith like this.
  10. Richard Whiting

Registered

The major problem is that there seems to be no "paste" anywhere in Chromebook.

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

It actually does, but the easiest way to paste is to use the “CRTL+V” and that will always paste.

So, go to youtube, choose share, which will copy the video link.
    Next go to the forum, and open the post where you want to paste, Then, click the CRTL and V at the same time, and that will paste the link into your post.
    Once you submit the post, then you will see the video.

CC8FA368-0FEA-45DF-889A-DFE335FA6875.jpeg

Jake Smith likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

It's there, maybe something is up with your Chromebook if it's not. Check this video out below and on youtube, it continues to another short video after it gets to the end. They do it a little differently than I do, so I'm still learning new stuff too.

Since I have been using one, I accidentally learn things as I go, and you will too.

This one is about right-clicking on Chromebook, which I think you got that one now, right? I went back and copied it off youtube since the one above doesn't continue to it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Ken Anderson and Nancy Hart like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

When I first came online, I had never touched a keyboard, still not that good but I did learn a few things that get me by.
    Don't give up,it will come to you.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  14. Richard Whiting

Registered

Ok. Can we please take this step by step ?
    I always see the "share" on a youtube video. I click it on. This opens a list of places to share" like facebook, twitter etc. Also just below that list ,there is an "address" and a place to copy. I click copy, but nothing happens.
    What next ? Go back to Seniorsonly ? What then ?

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Richard, you are not supposed to see anything happen when you click copy. But it should still save the address anyway. When you next do a paste, the address should appear wherever you are pasting it.

I have a mouse and pc, so I don't know anything about Chromebook. Previous videos seem like they'd be helpful.