Power And Control Driven Doctors

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Joy Martin, Mar 30, 2023.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had some bad gastric issues a while back, and the CT scan found unrelated stuff, including a bladder stone. I procrastinated for a while and then told myself that it wasn't gonna get any smaller and I wasn't gonna get any younger, so I went in and had it removed.

I've known folks around here who have gotten (or who need) joint replacements, and I tell them to do it sooner rather than later, because at some point--as you said--the risk outweighs the benefit. I have a friend right now (mid 70s) who is in that spot...her bad knee has only gotten worse, and there is now debate as to whether or not they want to subject her to the surgery at her current age.

The problem with having choices is you gotta make a decision.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

True. And then you have to (hopefully) live with the decision.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Or a doctor that advertises on tv!

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope not me

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Back to the original topic. Pre-med students have always had a bad reputation. They are extremely competitive. Remember The Paper Chase, with John Houseman? They have to have a near 4.0 GPA to even get into medical school, so you can't really blame them.

I took an organic chemistry class once. Big mistake. Found out later It was a majority pre-med students. The course was designed partly to weed out the weaker pre-med students. I nearly failed that course.

So it doesn't surprise me that the process of becoming a physician tends to select for a certain personality type. Not all, but many. Most probably grow out of it when they get into practice.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Paper Chase was a law school, I believe, but it was an excellent series, and I expect the requirements were very similar.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah. What was I thinking? :oops:

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

There's a lot that goes into being either a doctor or a lawyer.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just ran across this very short but applicable video. I do wonder how close we are to the time when triage is deciding who gets what depending on whom they are and how useful to society they are?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2023
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think almost anyone can become a lawyer if they have the funds and desire. Look at those in Congress and the bureaucracy. Most are not geniuses by any stretch. Becoming a GOOD lawyer is another thing; only a few can become a good attorney.

Doctors are a bit different. You once had to be a well-rounded individual with high intelligence even to get into med school. Those who didn't quite make the grade became DOs. I don't know if that is still the case or not. Now there is so much emphasis on drug therapy that the emphasis on "well-rounded" seems to have disappeared in favor of pure scientific knowledge. Also, I have found that the doctors most loved by their patients and who have the best bedside manner are not generally the best and brightest docs, and some are outright quacks.