Preparing For Winter

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Ed Wilson, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Back in my bachelor days, I rented a house in a small Illinois town that had little insulation. There was a gas heater in the living room, so I kept that around 60 F. but didn't heat the remainder of the house. I had to relent and get a heater for the bathroom once my fiancée started coming to visit since she had trouble dealing with a 50 F. bathroom. The pipes in the kitchen used to freeze on cold days, but I just waited for them to thaw before I ran water or washed clothes, as the washer and dryer were in the kitchen area. I was going to get a dishwasher, but the woman who was to become my wife insisted laundry was more important. I never minded the laundromat, as a 6-pack, a boom box and a good book always made the time go fast there.

2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You saw that funny I posted a couple months ago, The wife threw the husband a twenty dollar bill and told him to go out and buy a winter coat for the dog and he could have what's left of the 20 for a beer. The photo is a 12 can carton box of Heineken over the dog complete with head cutout and legs, the dog looked puzzled but I'm sure his wife wasn't amused.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Many years ago when i first moved to Atlanta, I rented a basement apartment that had no heat. The upstairs portion had gas heaters for the winter cold but to tap in to the gas line would have been a major project involving inspectors and paying a plumber to hook it up properly.

So, for a while I relied on a single electric heater but it wasn’t very efficient.
    However, the laundry room was downstairs and walled off from my apartment and I noticed how nice and warm the laundry room was especially when someone used the dryer which gave me an idea.

I made an 4-5” opening through the wall that joined the laundry room to my apartment and disconnected the dryer hose from the exit side. I then pulled the hose into my apartment, wrapped some cloth mesh around the opening and held it in place with a rubber band.
    The upstairs portion was rented out by 3 other people hence the washer and dryer were nearly always going during the evening which when the dryer was operating, I had warm air plumping into my apartment that kept it relatively warm.

Years later, someone had a bright idea to make an indoor, filtered vent and I bought one 3 years ago and now hook it up in the winter time to heat up the kitchen area where the washer and dryer sit.
    when first drying, there’s a lot of moisture thrown into the air along with the heat but that said, since we’re going to run the dryer anyway we might as well capitalize on it instead of all the heat being thrown under the house for a couple of rats and such.

Note: I can’t find the actual one I bought but the picture is the same principle.
    IMG_0044.jpeg

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had one of those units. The water not only added humidity, but it captured the lint.

My prior home had a floor furnace. When I did laundry in the winter, I would set a wood drying rack over the floor furnace for underwear & socks, and I'd hang the shirts & slacks in a nearby doorway. That made it real moist inside.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think I had one years ago as well. Note: only use them with electric dryers. Gas exhaust can be hazardous.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Good point.