Prepping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm looking for hard-copy books this a.m. that would help me the most if it all went away. Any suggestions very welcome ya'll ;)

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you have any medical inclinations, Survival Medicine would be good choice. There are many books on natural healing and health. Also, you can sign up with Jase Medical online to order drugs for the "apocalypse". When China/ India get taken out of our supply chain, medications will be very hard to come by.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

Definitely! That should have been my first thought, and the alternative health stuff is most important for me and not telling how I might do when my pacemaker battery poops out, lol! Doc says I'm only using 20%, or used 20% of it so far. Better get that clarified. Wonder how many beats per minute I need to still survive:confused:

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Do you mean you have only used 20% of the power and still have 80% left--about 8 years? Not much you can do about that. If you really need the pacemaker like Yvonne Smith does, you would need to obtain technology and the skill to replace it. If it is only a "sometimes" thing, you might get by if you didn't do strenuous things.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, exactly, thanks because that is what the doc said was I still had 8 more years on it and this one was put in 2014. My doc appt was in the last 12 months. I can look that up exactly but that's probably tmi ;)

It's funny because this must be some piece of equipment since I have been very active since especially in the last 7 years. I have what they called a 3rd degree av node block, the electrical part of my heart they explained it that way to me. Not arterial or other reasons a person may need one. This is a medtronic pm and never seems to go wrong on me, knock on wood ;)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

If you have had it since 2014 and it has only used 20% of its generating power, you should be good for a good deal longer than 8 more years.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I guess it will have to be a surprise then :D I had the first one in '97, 2 more since then. The one I got in 97 ran out when I lived in Alabama and I can't think of exactly when I live there, but I think it only lasted 8 years. I was swimming laps after work in the City Pool in Florence AL, and my muscles were feeling so fatigued every time I'd swim, so I went for a checkup and sure enough, I needed a new PM. So I guess they are building them bigger and better now ;)

I hope you are right because I hear the older we are, the harder surgical procedures are to heal. The others I had I was rollin again to work but it's a super tiny incision they make as many know.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I am sure that they become more efficient with time as they develop better technology. Just think what has happened with phones and televisions since 1997....

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes I was told at least twice by cardiologist because I ended up having to see two because the first one left town as most of the really good doctors do leave here but anyway I believe it that it's a good one if it's still going that strong be nice if it left me the rest of my life and I do use it I mean I guess I'm only using it 20% of the time because when I saw I've only used 20% of the pacemaker so it's got 80% left right anyway I'm talking on my phone for this message so it's getting too long I can see that thanks for your reply Don catch up with you later

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Mine is now working 100% of the time.
    My heart kept going back into a-fib, and I had already had two ablations, so they could not do anything else to stop the a-fib. They gave me the AV node block, and that put the pacemaker in total control, so it now works all the time.
    I looked up 3rd degree AV node block, and it looks like yours might be working all the time also, @Denise Evans . However, if you were able to swim and the pacemaker had stopped then your heart must still work at least a little without it.

My heart had the a-fib episodes, but when it was not in a-fib, my pulse rate would go down into the 30’s , and that is why my doctor put in the pacemaker. At first, it only operated intermittently as needed; but then my heart kept getting worse and the did the AV node block and put the pacemaker working 100% of the time.
    Even working full time, they said I have at least 10 years left , so the eight years estimate for yours seems reasonable to me.

If your pacemaker was only working 20% of the time, it would not be critical if it stops, you would have time to get to the doctor, because that means that your heart is able to pace itself most of the time. With the AV node block, I am thinking it is more likely that your pacemaker is like mine and working all of the time.
    My doctor said if for some reason mine fails, I would have to be at a hospital immediately because the pacemaker is what keeps my heart working at all.

11. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm really not sure, and need to ask about the whole 20% thing so I fully understand my situation. When I was swimming, I had my first Pacemaker and it didn't last as long as this one, I'm on my third Pacemaker, can't remember exact dates off-hand.

I've often wondered if this is something that is doing better than it was before I was diagnosed. What I mean is, would it have gotten better with the way I began to take care of myself if I hadn't had the pacemaker put in. Thing is, my heart would not go over 40 bpm when I was first diagnosed, so I have no idea what it would do on it's own should the pacemaker go out (or I should say when it goes out).

I remember hearing more about your heart issue Yvonne and I just believe you are doing very good keeping up with what you do :) I hope the very best for you, and me both :) I don't even think of mine unless the subject comes up. I guess that's a blessing right there, worry wouldn't do us any good would it :)

Dinner time here, ttyl, Denise

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My cousin was going in and out of Afib, now she too is ok, I think her doc did the same thing for her as yours did. Glad you gfot it working and your ok.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

this thread probably interests me more than any other so I like it when I think of new things about "prepping" as I've had a lot of thoughts about this since I found @Ken Anderson thread.

One thing is what this video talks about. It's about "the what if someone comes knocking" which meant something different than I thought they meant. It's about say a person, or family spends years to prepare for something very extreme happening, and friends, family, as well as even strangers sort of either rely on you, or a family they know of that "has" done the work to prepare and they might think they'll just make their way to the preppies place.

It's really not funny I realized my thoughts were mainly to head for my best friends because they atleast live out (not off grid) but I would feel safer there. Also, please understand I do not agree with everything this Rain Country Homestead says. One thing they say is that if the time comes, we probably don't know what we say if someone comes knocking for shelter and food.

I just thought it was interesting info, and lets face it, especially believer's in Christ, or anyone else for that matter, you can't tell me anyone knows for sure what is in our future. We all have our opinions, theories, and even worries about it. I know getting older, and still being alive, even pretty healthy is putting a different perspective on things. I wont' lie by omission or otherwise and say I do sometimes, a lot of times, wish I had a man in my life that we could put our heads together. I missed having a stable man in my life, because I wasn't a stable woman (more to the story but not here). I am stable now, but just don't meet anyone so I don't put my eggs in that basket after 23 years of being on my own. Here's the video, people that have their best friend, a wife or husband to talk things out with.

I love hearing you two talk about real stuff @Yvonne Smith & @Bobby Cole . Anyway, here is the video if interested, Denise:

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup. The old Ant & The Grasshopper scenario. I loved me some Aesop when I was a kid. All of the greedy selfish irresponsible one-way ba$tards in this world got their comeuppance, using critters (storks, foxes, lions, dogs, insects) as proxies.

There's a Twilight Zone episode on this subject. A guy was enjoying his birthday party with all his neighbors present and the Civil Defense sirens went off..."Incoming Nukes!!!" He had built a fallout shelter for his family...they had not. The obvious course of events unfolded, with the guy standing his ground and the neighbors improvising a battering ram and beating the shelter's door down. Then the Civil Defense voice comes over the air: "False alarm." Awkward apologies follow. The main character muses "Were we all destroyed without a bomb dropping?" Here's a link to the episode. It's 25 minutes long, and not on You Tube.

Regarding having someone in my life to discuss it with: that person also brings friends, relatives, children of friends & relatives to the party. Every coin has 2 sides. And any conversation/decision is gonna be just a theory. There is no crying frightened child (with attached adults) standing in front of you at that moment.

I may have already mentioned that I have people I would turn away in a heart beat, because they have always been irresponsible, entitled and selfish. I have a couple of neighbors who have been very nice to me, and at this stage of my life (and with no wife & kids to be responsible for), I'd just as soon share my last supplies with them in friendship as eke out another few days of life being miserable and defensive.

There's lots of psychology behind what we would or would not do. "Selfish" is in the eye of the beholder. And "unselfish" is not always a sacrificial stance.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

prepare as best we can and Que Sera Sera aka whatever will be will be. Till and if it happens who knows what we will do.

Beth Gallagher and Thomas Windom like this.