Prepping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have relatives and my friends are all family-oriented so that really isn't my issue. It's being alone with no one to share life with. Most people that are in my boat, men and women, are just happy being alone, and not feeling any responsibility for anyone else. I believe in my eyes, I am selfish, I have a lot of good things to offer a best friend, but that is up to what my future is in store for me. Until then, I handle things quite well, and being alone has made me much stronger ;) realizing there's no one there so I best learn and take care of me :)

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you drive?

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The further we get from individualism, the fewer people there will be who are prepared to deal with shortages, whatever the reason. When I hear the radio reports from areas of California that were snowed in recently, I didn't hear anything about people taking it upon themselves to dig themselves or anyone else out or to otherwise deal with the situation. Instead, it seemed that everyone was demanding that the government do something for them. At one point, a woman said that some people had come from Riverside to help, and I was thinking, why don't you just follow the people from Riverside back down the mountain?

That might not be a true representation of what was going on in California but we have gotten to a place where most people don't feel the need to prepare for emergencies, to learn what to do when things go wrong, or to make sure that they have enough of whatever they need to last them a while. Instead, it seems that the plans don't go any further than making demands for the government to do something for them. When this fails, there is little doubt that they will look upon those few who have prepared as being unfair, in that they have food while others don't, or they have heat while others are in the cold, and so on, which will lead them to feel justified in taking what they need by force, either as a group or as an elected body.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Also communities don't know each other anymore, neighbors could pull together but even if they did would those neighbors who didn't prepare come for those who did?
    I know there are always guns going off here and some sound more like bombs than guns and I'm not kidding.
    I'd like to have a bullet proof area in the atic in front of the window. But then if people aren't watching ther n-hood then gangs can come in.
    We had a Neighborhood Watch ,meeting here about 16 years ago, all came but most didn't communicate with others that much at all. The Sherriff said the best protection you can have is a dog to warn you. Old Molly was a good, but these 2 new ones tuck tail and run when meter reader or anyone else comes up. They were really abused. But sometimes they bark and we try to teach them to bark by putting on howling dogs. First get therm to howl then barking dogs. I think they got beat when they barked.

5. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, I do, have a good rig, older, but I've taken care of it ;)

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

On top of all that, we’ve seen people’s response to a perceived emergency, run out and buy massive quantities of toilet paper. I have to admit, that was an interesting response.

—OMG, lockdowns, deadly pandemics, isolation. How will I wipe my butt?—

Not what I would have guessed would be the reaction.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I know that when I joined IRV2 a few years ago, they had meet ups all over the country. Plus lots of places us old people can get together. Before Pandemic I was going to a elders community center here. It was ok too. We even danced or those who didn't just listened to the music, also did exercises and planned going some place but pandemic came.
    Jake is a loner [except playing music], I'm opposite I like being around people.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL, my thoughts exactly, I know mothers used to worry if there sons underwear was clean in case they had to go to hospital but this fighting in aisles over tissue is taking it to an Exstream. I never figured that one out, I was more concerned about his stomach being full than his stained undie's.

Mary Stetler and Thomas Windom like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

More than having stuff, get knowlege. We talked about books. Get a copy of Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons to start with. Try the info this spring. Here in Wisconsin, the cattails are ready the second week of June.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Cattails, last time I saw those was in Stone Mountain Georgia as a kid. When we first moved here there were Passion Flowers aka May Pops ,been years since I've seen one.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend of mine said, "Well, we can all go over to Mary's. to get stuff" I said, Oh no. I will show you how to forage or how to skin and gut a rabbit so you can take care of yourself.
    I am a border line Mormon and they have their own food storage. I knew a Morman guy near me who ran his mother's farm and he was planning on putting people up there on their way out to Utah or those who wanted to shelter in place for a while. His place was in a secluded area and he said he would only take in people who could contribute. Food, Skills, Gold...
    I told him I was in. But when his mother died, his sisters had other plans for the farm. So he moved out to Montana. Anything can change. People can take things from you. You never know.
    I have held many wild food dinners and people ooohed and ahhhhed but only a few wanted recipes of things new to them.

12. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like living alone, best also because won't be stumbling over someone. I just bounce off the walls now, cats love to run in front of me and just stop. Keep telling them one day I'm going to step all over you. I did step on snuggies tail once and he let out a good cry but wasn't hurt. :)

13. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a very old copy of that. Also, another good general reference book(s), no laughing matter, the scouting handbook(s).

14. Denise Evans

Registered

Boy you hit the nail on the head Ken. It's about responsibility, it's getting left to others, or the blame for your own poor decisions get blamed on others.

Folks sometimes learn to "buy" everything, they learn to even buy "friends". I truly believe people that have to struggle in life are the truly blessed ones, even those that suffer terrible things.

15. Denise Evans

Registered

I just want another dog, I get what you are saying as well @Thomas Stillhere. There's something very therapeutic about "the right" dog. I'll take my time picking out a puppy because I want to raise and train him/her myself. Probably a little girl again like my toney-dog:
    toney and I.jpg