Prepping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Such a cutie she was:(

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

That wasn't even the best shot I got of her but can't find it. I think she was one of the most "beautiful" small dogs I've ever seen. She was very independent but a one-woman dog for sure ;)

3. Mary Stetler

Registered

Hugs:oops:

4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Good basic guidance, @Thomas Windom. Thanks for posting it. As it appears we are courting nuclear war at the same time as our economy is collapsing, it would be good for everyone to have preparedness on the brain a little. You may have heard that ATMs over much of the U.S. and Canada are having trouble. No one seems to know--or admit--what is the issue here. It could be an attempt by banks to keep people from taking money from their accounts, or it may be a hacking issue by a group or foreign power. It is a push for people to keep some cash on hand, at least a month of expenses if you can afford it. Three days of water won't be enough for even a minor interruption of service, so I think everyone should have more than that, especially if you are dependent on municipal water sources or can't operate your well without grid power.

Marie Mallery and Thomas Windom like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

Craigslist politics is populated by sophomoric idiots. I saw someone saying we'd be in trouble if there was an emp or something because water would run out. Someone came back and basically screamed, Are you nuts? Gravity happens all the time.
    How does he think the water gets pumped up into those towers?
    I'm guessing liberal.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yep, an EMP would certainly stop water pumping, but so could a hacking attack or a widespread power failure. Our infrastructure is very vulnerable on many fronts.

8. Mary Stetler

Registered

It is a good outline for those thinking of starting to prepare.
    At this point, I think I would recommend learning about foraging and food/water storage. How one will stay warm without normal heat source. Get books that you can refer to, as knowledge will be king and electronics might be down. And a map. You may not be able to go to youtube to find out how to change a tire or whatever.
    If this happens in the winter, I hope no one sets their house on fire.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Thomas for the info.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

As the saying goes, " what doesn't kill you ,makes you stronger".

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Fousnaugh, post: 415616, member: 148"]Well, there are those that are really going to "freak" and/or get mad when events are cancelled and other things are done concerning this virus outbreak...……..but, as I've asked multiple times, how would anybody on this forum handle this outbreak? When there are those that refuse to listen to medical and disease professionals recommendations concerning the virus.

I really don't know what folks are suppose to do, but "freak", with what's going on. This is especially true for Seniors that have existing medical problems and are truly scared. Can't blame them for how they feel.[/QUOTE]

12. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't have a thyroid either and ai take lil blue pills to act for it.Here we have"Maple"if you can't get a refill you go there.But that's Canada.:)

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  13. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

How are all the Serious Preppers Doing? I can't join in and have to TRUST we'll make it
    somehow. So much I can do to "one day at a time" existence.

I hear commericals on Coast to Coast for "get your prepper supplies for every family member""""

My pendulum tells me Not to Worry About Not Prepping....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  14. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm with you @Joy Martin I don't have storage space for one thing, plus, if I have to escape something in my truck, it's a small truck. I'll have a list of things I need with me. Try just to keep it in good running order. I read there are some "groups" that are preparing, sound like a revolution, my word not theirs. But I'm going to be talking to people but "VERY carefully" and sneaky about my inquiries, but I do have friends in Oregon that are very prepared, and I'll just say it, fight! Just good old boys, wives, families where I grew up in Oregon.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think the smart idea for most people is to buy some foods with long expiration dates that they would eat anyway rather than stocking a bunch of army rations or foods that they wouldn't enjoy eating. Although you might be happy to have that stuff if you needed it, I agree that the chances of that may not be high, but things like rice and beans are stuff that you might use anyhow are a good idea. We have some of the survival stuff, but we don't go overboard with it. Nevertheless, we do have enough stuff that we could live for a few months, at least, if we couldn't buy food - several months if we were careful. For example, I have found freeze-dried soups that I like. I had some yesterday and again today, although I added a little bit of chicken, some frozen corn, and a bullion cube to it.