Prescription Pain Killers

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, thanks for the reply, Bobby.

Well, when I can get it from the VA, I will just see what happens.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If not soon, your insurance should cover most if not all of the expense.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It also matters that the practitioner place the drug properly. For that reason, I would try to use only those providers that do the injections frequently if possible. A poorly-placed injection is worse than none.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just thinking about it has me gripping the arms on my chair. I can’t imagine what it would feel like with an unpracticed practitioner and not do any good to boot !
    Of course, that’s why I go to a sports med guy. It is as I mentioned to @John Bruner a couple of months ago. Sports med people are responsible for putting players back on the field so I’m a little more trusting that they can do a proper job and have a better scope of training than most standard ortho doctors.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Got a Cortisone shot in each shoulder yesterday AM, from my new VA doctor. He is in the Army Reserves now as a Lt. Colonel, 42 years old and very, very nice.

Apparently, my right shoulder isn't nearly as bad with osteoarthritis as my left shoulder is. The osteoarthritis came into each after rotator cuff surgery on each. I was fine yesterday after getting the two shots, but I did take a prescription 50mg Tramadol and a 800mg Ibuprofen before I seen him. IOW, I didn't know, until after talking to him, that I was going to get the two Cortisone shots yesterday. He did tell me that the Tramadol and Ibuprofen won't affect the Cortisone shot.

This morning (7AM), I can feel a little annoying/achy pain in the left shoulder, but none in the right shoulder. So, it seems as if the right isn't as bad as the left.

We have a co-pay for anything the VA does for me, due to my wife's salary, so don't know how much the two Cortisone shots will cost us. But, do dislike paying for something that doesn't work.............in that, being on the right shoulder. Took a Tramadol a short while ago and will also be taking a Ibuprofen shortly. The Tramadol doesn't last long, so the Ibuprofen makes it last longer.

Tomorrow, no Tramadol, so will see how the Cortisone shot does on the left shoulder.

6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Those cortisone injections are so iffy and very damaging to the good stuff in our joints. I've avoided all of them and I could have had many over my life and learn to live with some pain, and even working to take less pain stuff every six hours.

There are plenty of pain supplements to help us and keep one from going to the big damaging drugs.

7. Joy Martin

Registered

Cody, mention Prolo injections and or PRP for your shoulder to VA doc and see his stunned face. These can work but are not a huge profit for pharma so the VA don't go here...pathetic but so true. I had shoulder Prolo over 10 yrs ago and it can be amazing...I could use more but don't drive due to other damage, so I can't get to the docs who do this work.

The VA could help so many in so much pain and destruction they all get from "serving"....the mainstream care givers don't care, bottom line Truth.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Joy, we all have our opinions about "this, that and the other". I will go by what my VA doctors says would be ok for me to try. I'm not him or have his credentials.

IOW, Joy, have to trust someone and his advice I trust.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Joy Martin

Registered

Well, Cody, you are in the VA system and there is so so much they don't offer that will work, hard sad Truth to this. This is the truth of ALL allopathic medicine treatments, Go out of the system and do work on your own dollar and you would find out.

10. Sam Mira

Sam Mira New Member
    Registered

Prescription pain killers always put me in a weird state and the side effects are usually my biggest worry. Since I have back pain I thought that there wasn't an option until I dug into natural alternatives. They did help with the pain relief and I didn't feel like am going insane when taking them. And one of the natural remedies I utilized was a Miralon CBD blend which has been used by former NFL players and other athletes, as a pain management solution. Try it out it might be what you need.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2023
  11. Joy Martin

Registered

Welcome and thanks Sam, There are so many CBD products today, it makes me dizzy as I get so much CBD spam daily, and it's delete delete delete...I don't even look at them.

What it would take me to spend $$$$ on CBD would be a testimonial from a friend or family member.....someone i KNOW.....who has my best interest.

My daughter works at home for 2 different supplements and the one which is HGH hmeoapathy gel, is adding a CBD product to their lineup, now a drum roll,,,, the Price????

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This guy is a spammer, @Joy Martin , and I am sure that @Ken Anderson will be deleting his account once he sees the reports that have already been sent about this person.
    If you are interested in his product, you should look at the link in his post before the post is deleted. (The link is the part in blue)

Joy Martin likes this.
  13. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Pain meds, so often helpful for treatment at times, I am glad now with only having
    to use the occasional Tylenol/Ibuprofen. Speaking of Cortisone shots, they surely
    have been of relief for me, hips and knees, and at only two yearly the past two years.
    I plan to stick with them, rather than any hip or knee replacements, which actually might
    be more helpful, but so a toss of the coin for me at this time, I chose what I've chosen.

14. Joy Martin

Registered

Steroid Side Effects. I would NOT touch them.

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_steroid-side-effects-how-to-reduce-corticosteroid-side-effects.asp#:~:text=Steroids, particularly at higher doses,hip is the most common.

15. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Joy, I can sure appreciate your thoughts about it, there stands always good reason to be careful/cautious with these
    type injections, like said, how often, how high the injection dose. Side effects are surely worth paying attention to and
    giving much thought to.

Beth Gallagher likes this.