Pride Of Your Place

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Corie Henson, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We live in the province of Rizal that is adjacent to Metro Manila. Our town of Cainta is well known for the native snacks mostly made from glutinous rice and other indigenous ingredients like violet yam. The old stalls in the town proper attest to the popularity of the native snack foods that are commonly sold in bilao (a big plate made of woven bamboo).

Another delicacy that is our pride is the Coco Jam - sticky jam made from coconut milk. It is mostly used as a bread spread particularly for breakfast.

Allison Schuck likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Sticky jam sounds good, I love coconut, I get shredded coconut for cooking as often as I can. I worked with a lady from the philippines that introduced me to lumpia, which I really like. The native snacks are I am sure great.

3. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds delicious @Corie Henson

I remember we used to eat something called cassava cake. Oh, it is so delicious.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

In our former home, there is nothing I can say of something to be proud of because Mandaluyong City seemed to have no delicacy. But in history, that city was known for good laundrymen. Yes, the first laundry service was provided by the oldtimers of that town even before the second world war. In fact, the grandparents of the current congressman, Neptali Gonzales II, were laundrymen who provided home delivery service - they would pick up your dirty clothes, wash it and iron it, then deliver it back to you after 2 days.

But the most popular landmark of the city was the Mental Hospital.