Purpose In Life Diy

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Faye Fox, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

As I age and become unable to do things I once did, I find myself feeling like I have lost my purpose in life.

This time of the year for several reasons, I tend to get sad and the weather is only a very small part of it. The sun is shining today so I took off on my walk and saw a young lady with her small children and dog coming out of their house for their daily walk.

She stopped so I could pet the dog, a beautiful tri-colored collie, and I asked how her morning was going since she is usually down the street at this time. She told me of a problem with her toilet running and her husband was away for a few days (he is a contract ER doctor) and she couldn't get the wall faucet valve to turn to shut it off. She said she looked inside but didn't have any idea what to do and the repair guy wouldn't be there till 3 PM.

I asked if I could take a look at it and she agreed and showed me inside. Removing the lid, I saw it was like mine and one of the double-stopper super flush turbo models. I pointed to where on one of the stoppers, the chain had wrapped around the lever. I had her unwrap it and notice how the chain now hung loose and allowed the stopper to shut.

I explained what caused this was someone not holding the flush lever down for a second and just flicking it allowing the chain to jump up and catch around the lever in a half turn. Unlike the older single-stopper toilets, this one chain needed more slack so it worked right with the other stopper both activated by a single flush lever. Never allow the flush handle to backlash and the problem won't happen again.

She offered to pay me or bring me something and I refused, saying, "You have already done enough." She was puzzled so I explained that this had brightened my day making me feel needed and of use. I explained to her that unexpected and unsolicited things like this gave me a feeling of purpose in life and that she would only understand it when she gets old.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Plus it gave me a fresh new topic for SOC. :D:D:D

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like to be needed. I believe one reason we are supposed to live our lives as you are is because it's easier to help others with their problems (and to get help with ours) than it is for each of us to solve our own issues. That being said, I have a hard time asking for/accepting help.

Regarding the home repair stuff: being raised the way I was where we never called in a contractor, I am astonished at the basic stuff that so many people do not know how to do.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I seldom ask for help even when I should. I always try to find a way to do it myself. I realize that is something that I must slowly change. It isn't that I am too proud, it is because I have lost so much independence already, that I don't want to lose anymore until I have no choice.

5. John Brunner

I installed an over-the-stove vent system in my place.

171reduced.jpg

176 Reduced.jpg

I removed a microwave to do that, and then tiled the wall & backsplash.

The unit was too heavy and awkward for me to manage, so I got a heavy painter's tarp, covered the entire area with it, put some 4x4s across, put a hydraulic floor jack on the 4x4s, stacked some more lumber on the jack, then lifted & guided the unit into place so I could secure it...all by myself.

I'm a stubborn S.O.B.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think I’m going through a phase.
    Ya know, like one of those things that parents used to say as in: “oh, he’s just going through a phase”?

It isn’t that I can’t physically and mentally do something or won’t do something but instead, the case might be that I just plain do not feel like doing something.
    Call it a lack of motivation, inspiration or even the inability to find a significant enough of a reason to do some things but yeah, I think I’m going through a phase and hope it doesn’t last too long.

I remember back in the late ‘60’s I had a problem with “trying to find myself” and my part in the grand scheme of things and I wound up with an all expense paid vacation to Vietnam.

Looking back, yeah, I think I’d best shake this phase off quickly!

7. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The older I get, the more that "I just don't feel like doing it" monster likes to pay me a visit. I've found that when I fight that monster and win, I come out of the battle feeling much better and upbeat. A recent case in point was changing the redhead's (motorcycle) battery, which had all the symptoms of a dead cell. It's somewhat of a PITA dealing with all the wires and getting a battery in and out of a very small space under the seat. Add in cold damp weather, carpel tunnel and there's reason for wanting not to do it. Thoughts of paying current mechanic's rate (e.g., $150/hour) for 1 hr.min charge sent me begrudgingly to the battery store and later to the garage and tool box. After over an hour of successfully wrestling with the battery and wires, the redhead fired up with all the energy of a teenager and I was beginning to think like one again. So, you're right, fight the urge/phase and come out better for it.

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a friend of mine install the new vent fan. I was trying to just clean the old one (40 yo) and the cleaner was dissolving the paint making it impossible to clean and keep the paint on.?????
    I would have difficulty tiling the wall and backsplash even though I tiled a 15x27 basement room floor in my younger days. But when I do do things, it usually just takes some extra thought to do them, with a bit of a handicap. People offer to help and I take it sometimes. But when they offer to get me one of those battery powered, driving shopping carts, I turn them down. Also being a stubborn S.O.B. might result in road rage.

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

It took Jake a few months to tackle the huge tree that fell across our fence, 2 days ago he finally got it moved to the side the logs he cut off that thing were big around as a sofa weighed at least 400lb.s each!:eek: It scares me when he does things like this. He has a back full of nuts,bolts,screws plus 2 10' rods 3 metal cages in his spine.
    Anyway Bobby thanks for your service and I try to do for V.N. Vets when I could. Visited many in Atlanta at VA Hospital. I hate war.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

11. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

used to love cold beers in our steam shower... or champagne in the jacuzzi with strawberries dipped in chocolate!

John Brunner and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This has been one of my biggest, and most disappointing, surprises about retirement. Just before I retired, I refreshed some toys in preparation for having as much time as I wanted to finally spend with them, mainly a new photography system and a custom long range rifle. I’ve been retired for just over 10 years now and I hardly touch them, not even as much as when I was working. I believe that, when I was working, there was this constant time pressure to schedule “me time”. I worked my hobbies into the little time I had available. Now, I have nothing but time and I feel absolutely no urgency. In fact, I feel the opposite, I just don’t want to be bothered. I just want to sit with the cats, read, watch movies, shows, etc. I even sold my little hotrod earlier this year. We’re down to just one car now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  13. John Brunner

I did not go to college out of high school. I worked full time and 4-5 years later took night classes when I worked. Every available moment was accounted for and utilized. I either worked, went to class, did homework, or made meals for the coming week. When I had a free moment, I squeezed in the other stuff.

When I stopped going to night classes and freed up all that time, I did nothing with it because time was too plentiful.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  14. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

i've spent quite a bit of time doin' nothin... seemed to have trained for it all through my youth. from elders making the kids be still to having to sit through school. found that skill came in handy on intercontinental flights when it was common to circumnavigate the globe several times a year.

then there are moments when being there and present while doing absolutely nothing proffers so much more value as ones presence in another's time of need.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Sam Calabria

Sam Calabria Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've found good home improvement info on the Bob Vila Website -

https://www.bobvila.com/find-info

was looking for info on how to soundproof a room. And there it was, articles about that, right on the page...

Mary Stetler likes this.