Random Acts Of Kindness

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think Rand was a selfish person and if you read some of the articles about her, she helped the Japanese in workcamps, and other people who were unable to help themselves, but not the abled bodied who refused work.
    My aunt was older born in 1905, she was the Ayn Rand type, she lived through the Depression, saw who survived the best and who didn't.
    A little about Rand most never hear about.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    John Houlihan likes this.
  2. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for the update on Ayn Rand. I am glad to hear she acted differently from Howard Roark. Maybe she was trying to create an unusually self-centered character.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

sometimes it's cruel to be kind, don't know who said it besides my aunt, but in some cases it is true.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL, yes, they said it too long after Aunt Emily said it to me in the late1950s early 60s. She was a hard woman lived to be 99. If you got a big gash on you she would pour turpentine on it and tell you to stop whining, where most would have taken you to the er.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Did the gash heal?

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

It sure did and fast. Cut wide open, bone exposed from bike spoke on the heel. Riding on the back of the bike.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  9. John Houlihan

Registered

Thanks Marie. The article totally changed my mind about Ayn Rand. She does sound like she did a lot of good for others. I formed an incorrect opinion based on outside sources and her character development of Howard Roark. I usually challenge my assumptions about things but never got around to reading more about Ayn Rand's personal life. Thanks again for the link.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Your welcome, those who don't agree will hide the un-popular truth, so it is hard to find it now.

" you can ignore reality but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality". Ayn Rand 'quoting by memory so hope its correct'.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Most major charity organization's make millions off kindhearted people. I was a sucker for a couple of them myself. One had to do with the starving children in Africa, another one is a well-known American org that pays its CEOs millions. I won't mention any names.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Here a speech in the movie you put up 'Fountainhead', I think we may watch the movie tonight,

13. John Houlihan

Registered

Marie, I watched the 6-minute clip. Ayn Rand at her best! When Roark talked about the parasites and collectivists that were ruining the country, it reminded me of the media and some politicians. The clip makes me want to watch "The Fountainhead" again. I learn something each time I watch it. Maybe I'll read the book again because I enjoy her writing style. Also, Ayn has a lot of great advice and a little that is not so good.

In the courtroom speech, Roark talks about the integrity of a creator. The word "integrity" reminded me of a great book called "Into the Magic Shop" by Dr James Doty. The book is his autobiography of how he grew up as a poor kid with a drunken father and a neurotic mother. His future prospects were very dim until he walked into a magic shop that changed his life. What he learned in that magic shop led to his overcoming all kinds of obstacles on his way to becoming a world-famous brain surgeon. He is an incredible human being. His book has all the makings of an academy-award winning movie. I hope to watch it someday if somebody in Hollywood has the sense to see its potential.

A final point. Roark mentioned "integrity" as something of value. Doty takes this a step further by discussing the "Heart Alphabet" which consists of the following attributes: Compassion, Dignity, Empathy, Forgiveness, Gratitude, Humility, Integrity, Justice, Kindness, and Love. Doty lives these attributes. He starts each day by meditating on the Heart Alphabet.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think I'll see if I can find Dr. Dotys book in audio. We watched, 'Fountainhead' and it was a good movie.:cool:

15. John Houlihan

Registered

Marie, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed "The Fountainhead". Yes, "Into the Magic Shop" is available in audio. Amazon reviews are 84% five-star. It's a feel good, learn a lot, and highly inspirational book. If you do go "Into the Magic Shop", I believe you will like it a lot.