Recovering From Gout

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, May 23, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You have reported that you have had gout every year that you have been on this forum, @Hal Pollner , even though you are also taking the allopurinol, so it seems like it has definitely not been 10 years ago since you had problems from gout, and the medication is not preventing it.

Fresh cherries definitely help, but once they are processed and cooked, the enzymes are destroyed, so eating cherry pie is not going to help gout at all.
    Only fresh raw fruit has the healing enzymes, and pineapple not only has that , but also has a natural pain-killer; so when I have any kind of muscle or joint pain, I use pineapple. It is available year around, and fresh cherries are often not available.

0AF413B8-6483-4925-B2EB-D9F1E8BDEF35.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That has a lot of truth to it but the caveat is “continued use and high doses” may cause kidney damage. In a controlled study, women are more apt to get kidney stones but I do not have the particulars on how the study was run.

There are problems associated with any medication both artificial and natural but the trick is knowing what to do with it and how long to do it.
    A good example might be the bromelain, an anti-inflammatory thing. The two chief foods it comes from are pineapple and papaya but the caveat is that both of them have in common other than being anti-inflammatories is that they both attack protein, so much in fact that they are used as meat tenderizers.
    To be used as an anti-inflammatory and in capsule form, those taking it should take it with a limited amount of proteins in the stomach in order to be effective on the inflammation.

All that said, the one thing that i think Hal was confused about isn’t that naproxen sodium isn’t compatible with gout, it is that it isn’t compatible with Ibuprophen. They are both NSAIDS (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) but they work slightly differently.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel that I'm being Lectured and Scolded by Forum Medics, with not a word of congratulations about defeating my gout attack with the help of my Wife, using Past Remedies.

From now on, even if I develop Cancer of the Heart, I won't even bother letting anyone know about it.

Harold
    219 (2).JPG

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Let’s see. You scolded me for writing that I would pray for your problem and alas, even though you give yourself credit for the cure, I have other ideas and someone else to thank. .
    Yes, I thank God that your problem is no longer an issue and now you can go about your business without pain.

I do suppose some congratulations are in order but after all, you really didn’t thank anyone for trying to help you now did you? At least, not an honest down deep from that cancerous heart kind of thing.
    Instead, we’re called forum medics and I suspect it was written with a highly sarcastic attitude.

Sad.

Edit: In which post did you announce that you were fully cured?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks for the reminder. I thank all those who have tried to help me.

I announced I was fully cured in Post #19.

Yes, my reference to the Forum Medics was indeed sarcastic.

I will let you have the last word in this discussion, Bobby, and I would like it to include a picture of you.

BYE!

Dale Young likes this.
  6. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

my grandson trys to control his weight so he was drinking a lot of bottled iced tea so that is what started the gout in his foot--he no longer drinks it and so far hasnt had any probems.so i am keeping my fingers crossed--and yes prayer does help---i for got it is loaded with frutose

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My kidney doctor said no use of Aleve. Tylenol only

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

LOL....and my liver doc said no Ibuprofen or acetaminophen but was allowed to take naproxen sodium but only on a full stomach.
    Of course, that was about 6 or so years ago when I was expecting to be shaking hands with Peter real soon because of a multitude of medical problems. They even talked about replacing my liver but behold, I came out great guns and everything is better than normal.

And yes, I do thank God and one of the reasons is that the doctors said they could do nothing about my condition but wait and maybe start cutting.
    Now, there are No scars, no abrasions, no evidence that I even had a problem.

I did however, have a small dose of gout about 2 months ago or at least we think it was gout. I took naproxen sodium and one of my wife’s whatcha call it pills. No pain and gone in a day or so.

9. Al Amoling

Registered

I was never a fan of anything more sophisticated than aspirin. It was my goto pain reliever all my life until my heart problems occurred and then it became low dose and switch to Tylenol(easier to spell than it's real ingredient). I'd always heard of Tylenol usage causing liver damage.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yup but again, I think that it’s a “continued use and large dosage” thing but I still will not use it even though everything is okay.

From my understanding, most heart patients are on a low and no sodium diet so I guess that’s the reason you can’t take Aleve. .

11. Al Amoling

Registered

I'm not on any diet. I've never been a user of salt. Whatever occurred naturally was ok with me. Altho I did like to put salt on my tomato and mayo sandwiches.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Registered

I'm a Sodium Chloride Freak.

But to keep the sodium content down, I use nothing but Morton's "Lite" Salt. Eating radishes or green onions without salt is unthinkable!

Hal IMG_5061.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And perchance do you also use the naval method to dip your green opinions into the salt?

14. Hal Pollner

Registered

Certainly not!

H.P.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

How are you feeling @Hal Pollner ? Gout is a horrible thing; sorry to hear you have suffered with it again. I have had gout twice; once in 2012 and again in 2016... both times in the big toe joint on my right foot. I have never in my life had anything hurt so much; I swear I could have sawed my foot off with a hack saw to get relief.

Absolutely NONE of the "home remedies" did anything for my pain... not cherries, not apple cider vinegar, nothing. When I finally broke down and went to the doctor after suffering for over 2 weeks, I got Naproxen and a steroid dose-pack that knocked the pain down in a few hours. So in my experience, if there is a "next time" for me I won't hesitate to call my doctor and get that dose pack again. It was nothing short of a miracle.

Also, a couple of times in the past year I have had twinges in that foot and have taken Naproxen for a day or two; that seems to keep a full-blown attack from happening.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.