Religions, Philosophies, Or Whatever

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Silvia Benoit, Oct 16, 2022.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, it was good one!

I just got off the Zoom with a Hindu friend. One of the things she said made me laugh. She said "It's better to be born into a religion than to die in one". I think it is connected to our conversation but I'm not sure exactly how.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Don Alaska and Jane Carlson like this.
  2. Victoria Clair

Registered

I used to teach psychology on the college level for 17 years, but I still don't know nearly enough to claim that whatever I write "is fact". Yikes!

Hedi Mitchell and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Victoria Clair

Registered

I LOVE what your Hindu friend said, and agree with her 100%.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Victoria and welcome. Since you are new you don't "know" us yet, but @Ken Anderson has a dry wit at times and is often making a joke. Hope you will enjoy it here.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just supports my view that Atheism truly is a religion....

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

As I recall, one of my majors was psychology and and the best fact I learned was that one can say anything with statistics and then turn around and say the opposite with them.;)
    Hey Victoria! Welcome!

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Much of all philosophies fall into the realm of our personal perception of what we believe the facts to be.
    Each of us has a puzzle before us and although some pieces of someone else’s puzzle seem to fit ours, they will not align as well nor as harmoniously as the pieces that belong to us.

It is okay to allow someone else to help us out with our puzzles, but to allow someone else to have full access and solve them for us is like adopting their facts to fit ours. It can’t be done and still remain an individual.

8. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Victoria, welcome from Nevada. Yes, my Hindu friend is a big help to me in spiritual matters. I have been zooming her during the past six months learning about the Eastern cultures. The so-called Eastern religions seem to be much more about philosophy, psychiatry, mythology, and science. Maybe we can discuss spirituality from the Eastern viewpoint if you are interested.

I noticed your posts elsewhere indicate you wrote two books and are working on a third. Congratulations! If you feel like sharing more about your books, please post on the forum "Reading & Writing" on the thread "Who Here Wrote a Book". I would like to learn more about your experience as a published author.

Like you, I am interested in spirituality. Along with studying Eastern wisdom, I have begun meditating using two different approaches. The first is what the Buddha used which is called "mindfulness" meditation. The idea is to let your silent witness watch the flow of thoughts in and out without engaging with them. The second method is called "Japam" which uses a rosary with 108 beads while repeating a mantra. The goal of either meditation is to reach the spiritual state of "Samadhi", defined as unconditional bliss or cosmic consciousness.

Again, welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Take care, John.