Remember Matlock?

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Beth Gallagher, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, it's getting a reboot by CBS. I'm a Kathy Bates fan so I'll probably have to watch it.

CBS will be gender-swapping Andy Griffith's Ben Matlock into Madeline Matlock for a new pilot, according to TVLine, with Kathy Bates starring. While the project currently only has a pilot order, the premise sounds already ready for a return to primetime. Now in her 70s, Madeline (played by Bates in her post-American Horror Story return to TV) is returning to the work force to expose corruption at a prestigious law firm, with a combination of surprising skills.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Bates also, so will keep me eye out for that show. I liked her in A Place of Our Own, good movie.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Kathy Bates in Misery certainly made a woman with a sledgehammer respected long before all these women's remodel demolition shows. :)

Krystal Shay and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Kathy is a breast cancer survivor who has lymphedema. She is quite a vocal spokesperson for the Lymphedema Treatment Act and other legislation. I admire her greatly.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I am also a Kathy Bates fan and will give the new show a look. I was talking to a guy about Kathy on Misery a few days ago and I commented she sure could swing that double jack. He asked if I was talking about a sledgehammer. I said yes, that a two-handed one is called a double jack and a one-handed one a single jack. It is a mining term. I was reminded that as a woman I should not know so much and that might account for my being single for so long. I said thank you, but knowing about sledgehammers isn't the reason for my staying single. It goes a lot deeper, is more complicated, and is a lot uglier than that. :D:D:D

PS Kathy is the best and an inspiration for sure. I just looked her up and saw she had cervical cancer in 2003 and breast resulting in a double 2012. I can imagine with a double the lymphedema is double trouble. You survive a battle with cancer just to have a painful lifetime disorder.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm another Kathy Bates fan! I liked her in Harry's Law too. It was only 2 or 3 seasons. It had huge ratings but the network didn't like how it couldn't reach the younger viewers.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

One of my favorites of hers.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Oh and Fried Green Tomatoes.. loved that one also.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Since my attempt at the Charlize Theron haircut isn't really working out in the front, I decided today to go with the latest Kathy Bates look. Maybe keep the back like it is, but the top and sides more like this.
    ACADEMY-AWARDS-2020.jpg

10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Faye Fox are you having an identity crisis? Changing avatars frequently, worrying about your hair? Um do we have ourselves a Honey somewhere and trying to look extra spiffy? :D