Replace Food Stamps With Food Boxes?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Maisie Morton, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the articles that I read said that it would replace the “cash” benefits that some people get with their EBT benefits. These benefits can be used almost like cash, and are different than the EBT food benefit. I only get the food benefits part; but I have known other people who not only got food; but also the cash part, and it seemed to be like a debit card. They could buy something and then get cash back, if I remember right. I do not know why some people get only one, and somepeople get both.
    If the food boxes replaced the cash benefits, then that might help because it would stop some of the money being used for other things than food maybe.
    The food boxes would be from food items grown here in the United States, and it said that they would be non-perishable ; so that would mean canned items mostly, or dried like powdered milk.
    I think it would take a lot of planning to make this work, especially with so many different diets (vegan, gluten-free, food allergies, etc) that would have to be figured in .
    Another thing that might actually stop this from happening is opposition from actual grocery stores ! I read that the big chain groceries are all objecting, and I can see why. With so many people using EBT, this is where they sell a lot of groceries, and giving out food boxes would stop a lot of those sales.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    And my wife will eat neither, hasn't for over a year now. "Low carbs, don't-cha know? No sugar, which includes fruit sugars, no sweet fresh fruit, she allows 20 grams of carbs daily. 40-50 Protein, 60 fats.

Surprisingly, many boxed foods, prepared and otherwise, are very high in carbs. The idea is that intake of carbs "spikes" the Glycemic Index, affecting the rate and way the other foods are metabolized (so she says, I'm not sure what it all means).

She is nonetheless not "wasting away" due to weight loss. Must admit, though, her blood sugar has come down.
    Frank

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I greatly enjoy perusing over the surplus baked goods at our Smith's (Kroger). They have racks set upo with a sign, "We baked too much". Everything is half-price, little is much over a day or two past the "sell by" date. This process, being largely carbohydrate in nature, sweet cakes, doughnuts, bread, (yum, drooling at the thought), is deeply frowned upon by my wife!
    Frank