Replacing Old Screen On Porch

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Marie Mallery, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

It's been 10 years since we replaced it, this time we are going to use aluminum. Plus we need 3 screen doors.
    Hubby has replaced them twice since 2005.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This is the first time in 23 years that I've thought about replacing our front screen door but I it like so much. It has a lot of character as well as being original to the house. I'm trying to decide if the frame just needs to be replaced. I ask myself 'Can I do this myself?' I don't know anything about carpentry, would I be opening a can of worms? Pro, it's another DIY I could put under my belt, IF it turns right. :rolleyes:

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Since it is old, the first thing I would do is measure it and see if you can find something the same size. If you can't, is there a place near you that collects and sells old doors and windows. There is one here, but that might not be common everywhere.

Opening a can of worms can be fun, if you can get them back in the can eventually.

Marie Mallery and Von Jones like this.
  4. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

is the aluminum better than that fabric stuff...fiberglass i guess...we're going to do a large area too

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Metal screening is harder to work with. Once you put a crease in it, you can't straighten it out. For one small job that would not be a problem if you're careful.

I screened the front porch with the fiberglass. It was easy to work with and get tight. One disadvantage is small animals, like ground squirrels, mice, and some grasshoppers, can chew through it. Large animals, like dogs, cats, (and raccoons ;)) might push through it, if they really wanted to.

6. Teresa Levitt

Registered

yeah...again with the critters...we got em...at least we won't be running any spline...and they're using polyester for ribbing on the product that had the fiberglass...no fiberglass is getting produced like before

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

We had fabric on ours for past 10 years or more, it did ok but now he wants aluminum, so we bought that a couple years ago and he will put it up. He can do anything work wise, he is a genius.so far there is nothing he can't fix, but me of course.:D

Teresa Levitt likes this.
  8. Teresa Levitt

Registered

you're so cute....yeah...we gotta screen in 2 areas here..critters abound so we'll do aluminum too

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

We live in the woods and up till last few years had all kinds of wildlife and lots of field mice some big rats too. Not one squirrel or rat chewed thru it, but that doesn't mean they can't. I mis all the wildlife we had before people started moving in and clearing their land, sadly most are gone now. Florida panther black bear hasn't been seen here in at least 15 years.
    No more fox, or even ferral cats. Same for most native plants.