Residents Who Won't Listen To Apt. Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not saying that you (or your wife) have to like it, Cody, just that I do. I do know how strong the lilac fragrance is, as I can smell it when my lilacs are in bloom from across the yard. My parents had a whole hedge of lilacs when I was growing up.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, Ken, don't get us wrong..........we've had a can of Glade Lilac Spray and used it. But, we don't spray the entire can into the apartment. A couple of short bursts of Glade Lilac is nice, but other than that.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Lilac Bush Update (LOL): I grilled a Rib Eye night before last on the patio and noticed that at least half of the blooms on both bushes are dying or dead. It hasn't been the best weather for the bushes anyway. Had some snow on May 30 and, if it was cold enough to snow, apparently the blossoms couldn't handle the cold temps.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I was walking back from getting a box inside the office, from USPS and "low and behold" there was some young guy sitting in a vehicle in a parking spot smoking marijuana. How do I know it was marijuana? I absolutely know the smell of marijuana that was coming out of his driver's side window. It distinctly states in our Leasing Agreement/Policy "no smoking of marijuana anywhere on the property. This includes medical marijuana".

Of course I didn't say anything to the guy or go back to the office and inform the manager. I already know what the manager would do.........nothing!

Good thing about Wyoming, if we do move there, marijuana is totally illegal, but does that stop young folks from smoking..........absolutely not!

5. Ken Anderson

Lilac blooms only last a couple of weeks here.

6. Ken Anderson

Medical and recreational marijuana is legal here, and we even have a couple of dispensaries, but I have yet to see anyone smoking pot, or smell it.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There are those in the complex that do follow leasing policies/rules. Had a young couple that lived right above us, and no matter what the weather was outside, raining or snowing, they would come downstairs, go to their vehicle and smoke a cigarette in it. That is allowed.

But, since ownership of the complex changed, enforcing leasing policies/rules have become much more laxed. The young folks here love it! Residents here use to get a warning notice, from a towing service that the manager hired, on their driver's side window about expired registration tags. That doesn't happen anymore.

The complex has the most relaxed, not enforced leasing policies/rules we've ever seen. The manager will send out a notice about leasing rules/policies, but "sending out" is all that is done.

One thing we liked about the HOA that we had at our last house.........HOA keeps the housing development clean and nicely painted.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

People who follow every letter of every law are the first ones to go postal...you be careful of that young "we only smoke in approved spaces" couple. Rigid Adherence + Nicotine Fit = 11 O'clock News.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

This means, after you come and complain here, you go to your wife to complain about us?
    The thing about complaining is it causes a couple of reactions. The first may be sympathy which produces suggestions. That being ignored, it produces recommendations of how to put up with the problems. None of which is crap. but with the continued complaints, not knowing what to do for you, one realizes that some people just like to complain instead of taking action. You said you are moving and we have heard your complaints. You are already doing the best for yourself. Some of us (me) use humor to deflect a situation when else fails. You can take it personally, which will make you angry, or not which is what I would do.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

John, you can't "delete" a thread of mine! LOL:D

John Brunner likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Mary, we've just never lived in an apartment complex where many residents, in this complex Millennials, do what they want. I just wonder how they acted where they use to live. Many just seem like "I don't care about leasing rules/policies. If you want to evict me, have at it. I/we don't care." is the attitude by many. We will see a used facial mask laying on the lawn for days at a time.

We aren't about to break our lease, so can't move until next summer. Even if the manager lets a resident out of their lease, the situation can show up on a credit report. We definitely don't want that.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Are you sure about this? You may be needlessly deferring your escape.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No, we aren't sure. But, we are sure of this.........we can last here until next June. We don't want to take any chance, even with managers approval, of breaking the lease and having that come back to bite us in the butt. When applying for an apartment in a new complex, certain things are checked out and, sometimes, phone calls are made. Like when applying for a job when people applying can be checked out.

Plus, John, we haven't found another place to live yet. With my wife working Monday thru Friday at home, that only leaves weekends and many apartment complex offices are closed on Saturdays/Sundays, like where we live is. We just can't rent a car and take off each weekend to look out of Colorado.

14. Ken Anderson

That seems like a reasonable attitude. Not when it comes to actual damage, though.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

You are right about the indifference, Cody. I have had rental property. I wonder if that should not be another thread. Things done by renters!!!

John Brunner likes this.