Residents Who Won't Listen To Apt. Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Chances are, they might be folks like @Don Alaska. For him, 20 degrees in the winter is probably good fishing weather.

In all actuality, I kind of laugh about the whole premise of the thread especially since my first apartment was part of an old defunct cat house in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
    There was a mini-staircase inside the walls so the bouncers and people who paid to “watch” could peer the goings on through peep holes.
    It’s a given that the walls no longer had the holes when I lived there, but still, I get a little laugh when I think about someone being disturbed by someone’s noisy escapades in the boudoir.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes, since 2000. Kennebunk and Portland are like a foreign country as compared to inland Maine.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Cody, we have apartments here that are just for senior citizens. All of them are on ground level. Rent is charged according to renters income. I know a lady who only paid $10 a month rent. I'm not sure but I think heat and electricity are included.

When y'all decide where you want to move, ask if senior citizens apartments are available. My town is a small town and we have them.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I first moved to Alaska, I was greeted by folks in my new town in T-shirts. Problem was, it was -20 F. and these folks were wearing T-shirts and jeans. Having just left South Georgia where it was +85 F., it was a bit of a shock even though I had experienced cold weather, just not in a few years. The explanation became clear when I was told that they had just gotten out of a spell of -50 F weather, with the lowest temp being -59 F. It felt like spring to these folks after having to function in REALLY cold weather for a few weeks, so they wore spring duds.

5. Jaspurr Miller

Jaspurr Miller Well-Known Member
    Registered

I live in Canada, and it's not unusual to see young men in shorts and young women with bare legs walking around in 30 degree F weather. Women, in particular, wear no hosiery if they're attending events in the winter, like a wedding. We're a hardy bunch up here!

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

i spent part of a winter with some relatives in Moose Jaw, Sas. when I was about 4 or so. What I remember most was being with some hunters and during the afternoon break, I got thrown out of a sweat lodge and into the snow. Bare butts and all, the other hunters in the lodge followed and wrestled in the snow until they were uh…..sober.

Nowadays for me, if it is below 60 degrees, it is too cold.

Don Alaska and Jaspurr Miller like this.
  7. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

Huh...didn't know getting drunk was part of the sweat lodge ritual. Anything I've read about it didn't mention alcohol as a way to cleanse the body, mind and spirit. But...if it helps, why not? LOL

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I would have thought peyote to be more traditional. ;)

9. Jaspurr Miller

Registered

You would think so. I've often wondered if sweat lodge was a dangerous activity, given the intense heat for long periods of time. Probably not good for people who have cardiac issues.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

When I used to do a lot of bike riding and racquetball playing, I'd go from the gym's hot tub to the cold pool back & forth a few times. It's "invigorating." I could see how some folks should be real cautious with it.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

My Canadian kin were pretty much in the farming business with one being a prize fighter and another a professional wrestler in the off season.
    Knowing my family at the time, I doubt seriously if any of them were looking for an existential experience more than just doing some hunting, getting loose and enjoying some time off away from their daily rigors.

To sorta get back on track though, some apartment complexes have hot tubs and yes, steam rooms. One in Tempe, Az that I know of was rarely quiet when folks were using those facilities.
    Even the senior snowbirds would party hearty into the wee hours of the morning even though the rules clearly said that the facilities were to be vacated at 2300 hrs.

Funny thing though, no one ever complained. Maybe it was because everyone knew that at some point, they too would be guilty of some transgression.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

There is no way I would climb into that hot tub. I have some degree of confidence that the ones I used in gyms were (a) properly cleaned and (b) not rarely used for things that shall not be uttered.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ah yes but if one consumes enough of the spirits, one becomes invincible and a veritable expert in all things that were heretofore enigmatic.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

I used to think that...then I quit drinking. Reality's not all that it's cracked up to be.

Regarding your recommendation for Cody to get a trailer...when my parents split up, my dad lived in a mobile home. At first he parked it on a lot on someone's property that they rented out for such purposes. After that he lived in a couple of trailer parks. Trailers are absolutely fine accommodations. And I liked the folks who lived there a lot more that the idiots making $500,000/year who moved into my DC suburb neighborhood.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Unless a person lives way out in the sticks like @Gary O'Dan did , you will always have interaction from other people in some way. Here, we have the privacy in our own home, and fairly private back yard; but lots of noise from up and down the street….. noisy cars and motorcycles, crazy people yelling and fighting, parties with loud music, and stuff like that.
    A mobile home park is somewhere between an house and an apartment, because you do have the privacy of your own place, no one lives above or below you, and you have a little yard. Often, the park takes care of the grounds, just like an apartment complex would do. But there will still be people living around you, and doing things that might bother a person living nearby, or barking dogs, etc.

The suggestion of a senior apartment seems like the best one to me, if I were moving somewhere else and wanted a quiet place, but not have to deal with taking care of a house myself.