Residents Who Won't Listen To Apt. Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 29, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That price for the year 2000 absolutely blows my mind. I paid over $50,000 for my 600 ft² DC suburb house in the 1970s...I got in right before prices really climbed.

I just looked up real estate in Millinocket. Half of the listing pics were taken with snow on the ground. I'm not sure if that's a selling point or a not.

2. John Brunner

There are 2 issues with living in a senior apartment:
    1-They are likely to be watching television on full volume all the time.
    2-They are as likely to be intolerant of Cody's behaviour as he is of other people.

He may believe that young people hate old people, but old people hate everyone.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am sure that I wrote in the past that I continually suggest to people who rent from me that they should do as I suggested to Cody.
    One family took my suggestion and now they live in the country and have something they can call their own and pay far less than they would if they were still renting.
    They have no immediate neighbors so the kids can be as loud and crazy as they want without disturbing anyone else and the parents aren’t paying for something they will never own.

4. John Brunner

I had looked at getting a trailer when I first graduated high school. There are lots of folks in my county that live in them. When I was doing home repairs with the non-profit we did some work in trailers. The worse thing about them is they have very thin floors that tend to rot, little insulation, and are elevated so the wind can whip around them. That's why people put skirts on them...it's more for comfort than it is for aesthetics.

They only thing that adds to their cost is the need to have a place to park them.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

We have a trailer park here that gives the trailers away and the client only rents the lot. It’s a given that they probably have to fix the trailer up and live on the lot for a year or so but after all is said and done, the trailer can then be moved to a piece of property that the owner bought.

A story about my grandfather and grandmother has them buying a tent and putting it on a piece of farm property. They were only a family of four at the time but whilst living in the large tent, my grandfather farmed the land and piece by piece, built a very nice house around the tent.
    Granted, that isn’t something that a senior would or could do but even so, judging the mettle of today’s kids, I doubt if there are many if any who would go to the great lengths my grandparents went through to provide a good home and totally owned by them.

6. Jaspurr Miller

Jaspurr Miller Well-Known Member
    Registered

I won't go in public hot tubs, either. I don't trust that people are hygienic. Hot tubs are "people soup."

Krystal Shay and John Brunner like this.
  7. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Good to see the Forum is back up....as for Maine, the little I was able to visit is what it was....

Living in So Cal for 57 yrs my Eastern blood has become thin, and I'll be happy to see our Spring soon..this winter has been the worst for we thin blood people.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

Bobby Cole, you come across like neighbors are a problem, I disagree majorally, my neighbors in my apt bldg are great to have around and especially now since up in age and a body messed up from hip replacement....the neighbors are great.

We are there for each other..

Yvonne Smith and Jaspurr Miller like this.
  9. Joy Martin

Registered

A friend from my home town near Pgh, after she sold parent's house, divided up profits to she and her sisters, she wanted nothing to do with a house, loves loves her senior apt in that old town of ours and her rent is close to $600something after maybe 10 yrs of living there....

My sis and I got my dad an apt in that bldg when mom died and he was finally willing to live in a managable apt, we fixed it up for him, it was great but he never did much thought changing in his 90+ yrs and ended up dying before a hospice bed was moved into that apt for him to go out easily....

Life is sure full of twists and turns and one Needs To Be Flexible to go with the FLOW of their life.

Jaspurr Miller likes this.
  10. Jaspurr Miller

Jaspurr Miller Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I think especially at our ages (60s and 70s) we need to be as careful as we can choosing appropriate places to live. Most cities and towns have 55-plus condos and apartments. Not to say they'd be absolutely problem-free, but there would be fewer irritants than living an apartment building among younger people who like to party and...OMG...have sex! LOL

Having said this, my hubby and I would absolutely hate living in an apartment building with other seniors. We've lived in our charming little two-bedroom house built in 1946 for 30 years. We still like to party with friends and turn up our favourite tunes at full blast. Hubby has a man-cave and I sometimes need to remind him that we have neighbours when he's got his 1960s rock and blues music happening at high volume. We plan to stay here as long as we can afford it, remain mobile, and hire help with the maintenance. It makes me shudder to even think of having to move somewhere else.

John Houlihan and Mary Stetler like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Registered

Thinking about this and I've been a short time member at a Clothes Optional organization, we spent short times in that HOT tub water and I don't know how much could live too long in that Hot water.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Problems with neighbors? As long as my neighbors aren’t so close I can hear when they break wind and the hookers and dopers have learned to show a little respect, I have no problem at all.

All that said, it is good that since you are a little stove up and single that you have someone close by to help out and I would expect my wife to do practically the same as you once I am gone.
    Still, I am fully independent with no real health problems that prevent me from doing whatever I wish including taking care of my wife so why would I want a bunch of neighbors who are so close in proximity to me who would probably hear every time I flush the commode?
    Added to that, I’m a private man who doesn’t want to worry about rattling the walls once in a while and upsetting those who think I need to refrain from such activities. (as expressed in the OP)

Plus, I have a wood shop in the back of the house which is something I could not possibly have in an apartment setting.

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I had thoughts of a sod house, the bricks of sod could be gotten, not just inside the perimeter of the planned house, but also the garden area... I even have a sod knife to make them pretty. But even if kids had the mettle, building codes would not let them build as our grandparents might have.
    My mentally challenged daughter and her boyfriend want to get a tiny house so they have a place of their own. I won't tell them that they have to also buy land, permits, put in a well and septic if their land passes...
    Is it gov't interference or soft kids that stand in the way of the upcoming generation?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we have found out, by talking with the complex manager, enforcing a Leasing Agreement Noise Policies is fine...........if the manager does do that. Now that we are on a month-to-month renting basis, not a lease anymore, and the manager knows we are packing to make a move, she cares less about any noise complaints we have.

The young girl that lives above us, with her fiancé, had her hours changed. She use to work from 7AM to 3:30PM. We knew when she came home, because of the "walking" noise coming from our ceiling and playing with the dog. She is a rather "plump" girl and we can definitely hear her walking in the apartment. We didn't hear two previous residents, because there was still carpet in the apartment. Now she goes to work at 2:30PM and gets home around 10PM. Last night, she decided to play with their Pit bull dog at 10:30PM. IOW, quite a bit of noise that woke me up. Thought about telling the manager about the noise, but know that she won't do a thing about it. We are moving, so she doesn't care!

John Houlihan likes this.
  15. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have signed a contract in a 55+ community and will be moving (fingers crossed) probably Nov. - Dec. we wanted our own place, no shared walls but wanted someplace still close to my wife’s cancer docs but out of Maryland (we’ve both had it with this state). We finally found a place in Gettysburg, Pa that checked off most boxes.

There are 4 builders working there, with about 15-20 different floor plans, lots of options on many (e.g. second floor). One builder does duplexes and the other 3 do only single family homes. They have small lots but the association takes care of snow removal on your driveway and sidewalk to your front porch, mowing, mulching, trash, recycle, basically anything outside your exterior walls. Even though they only have about 350 homes right now, they have already finished a complex with $30,000,000.00 of amenities, including movie theater, bars, cafes, performing arts theater, on site physical therapist, huge fitness room, indoor pool, indoor basketball court, demonstration kitchen, movement studio, massage, hobby rooms, too much to list.

The community also has something, apparently specific to this community, called NEAR, for Neighborhood Emergency Aid Response. EMTs, paramedics, fire/police etc. personnel who live in the community will receive first notice of any 911 call originating in the community. They are very fast to respond. We have already met two residents who had experiences with them. The woman whose husband had a stroke said that two guys showed up at her front door literally within minutes while she was still on the 911 call. You can see NEAR signs on houses and vehicles of those who are responders.

We figured it might not be too much longer until there’s just one of us and this sounds like a better situation for either of us. Like so much, it’s a compromise but it seems to have a lot on the plus side of the equation. Here’s a shot showing most of the amenities (welcome center and farmer’s market building not shown).

IMG_7733.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023