Respect: What Does It Mean?

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by D'Ellyn Dottir, Aug 11, 2021.

1. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sometimes people use "respect" to mean treating someone like a person, with civility and kindness. Sometimes they use "respect" to mean treating someone like an authority. Sometimes people who are used to being treated as an authority say "if you won't respect me then I won't respect you", and they mean "if you won't treat me as an authority I won't treat you with civility and kindness as a person", and they think they are being fair. But they aren't. They are being ass*oles.

I've heard it said that respect has to be earned, and I'd agree with that when it refers to respecting authority, but civility and kindness should, in my opinion, be given to all from day one and always as a sign of good manners, and basic humanity.

How do you think of the word "respect"?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I remember my dad saying respect should be given and trust had to be earned. I thought that was backwards. I give trust until it's proven that I can't trust you, and I'll be civil, but you don't get my real respect until you show you are worthy of it.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll have to think about this one D'Ellyn.Right now I'm off and on working and posting.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

People who live in apartments should definitely show respect to other residents living around them. Some do and some definitely don't.

It seems like Seniors want/deserve more respect than the younger generation wants to give.

We have found out, from the past, that launching and retrieving a boat at the ramp, needs more respect than some boaters want to give. Senior boaters are slower than the younger ones, but the younger ones want the "old farts" to get their boat into the water, or out, as quickly as possible. That just can't necessarily happen.

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Not doing anything or saying anything to another person that offends

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Some attitude towards a person seems like respect but is fear.
    True respect is gained from love or knowledge.
    In my opinion some people cannot show respect because they see it as a weakness.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@D'Ellyn Dottir

"Respect" generates admiration.

Admiration is a good thing.

Frank

8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I certainly do not trust very easily. I was raised by an attorney and my dad was very wise. Trust is earned through integrity and honesty. Authoritative figures come in every discipline of our society. By all means, you had better respect a superior officer in the military or else. There is nothing personal about it, just a matter of a pecking order. I respected my teachers whether I liked them or not.

Character will define whether or not I will trust an individual.

There is no tried and true formula for respect nor trust for that matter. Each of us according to our upbringing and what we are taught about moral fiber and values will dictate these to us as individuals.

Faye Fox and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Lois Winters

Though apparently widely believed, trust cannot be bought, but must rather be earned. One of my ongoing imponderables involves "trust" between the protected and those protecting the most significantly important individuals in society. For example, given the legion of Secret Service personnel protecting the United States President, how can each and every ones' trustworthiness be pre-evaluated, judged in advance to prevent the horror which could occur?

Frank

Bobby Cole and Lois Winters like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Lois Winters

Though apparently widely believed, trust cannot be bought, but must rather be earned. One of my ongoing imponderables involves "trust" between the protected and those protecting the most significantly important individuals in society. For example, given the legion of Secret Service personnel protecting the United States President, how can each and every ones' trustworthiness be pre-evaluated, judged in advance to prevent the horror which could occur?

Frank

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Save my wife and stepdaughter, I fully trust no one on the face of this earth.
    Trust-worthy denotes being worthy of trust. How does one become worthy of my trust? Actions speak louder than words. The only people other than those I mentioned who have earned my trust by being true to their words are dead.

In regard to respect, the military taught me a couple of serious lessons. One doesn’t have to respect an individual to show respect. An officer demands respect due him because of his position, hence the word, “sir”.
    I do not have to like a person in order to respect what they do or how they do it.

Tony Page likes this.