1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rice, Bread, Or Any Other Grain

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I should mix up the brown and white rice. I honestly have no idea why I don't. In my opinion, brown is a lot tastier than white, anyway :p

Corie Henson likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Allison Schuck and @Jennifer Graves, I wonder why people are enamoured with that brown rice. When I was young, that brown rice was only good for feeding the pigs, no joke, that was the culture then. White rice "was" healthier because it is cleaned of excess dirt, that's according to the health conscious at the time. But lately, there was the resurfacing of the brown rice which many now claims to be healthier and some even say it is tastier than white. I don't know if it is a paradigm shift of sorts or there is just a hype by brown rice producer.

My husband had bought brown rice before just to confirm of the claims. We could not eat it because it is not that palatable. Next time, we bought the expensive kind that was harvested from the rice terraces in Banawe - costing double that of the white rice. But the taste is the same - not palatable. Our rice is the jasmine from Thailand, quite expensive but has a nice taste.

John Nopales likes this.
  3. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I was always told it was healthier. I can't tell you what makes it healthier, or if it even is at all. I had no idea there were different types of rice, lol. I buy bags of "white rice", The brown rice I've had around here tastes ok. But when I eat either one, you cant really taste the rice. I put it in chicken and rice soup, have it with gravy, or with spicey red beans and rice.

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I prefer brown rice though it takes twice as long to cook. It's healthier because the nutrients haven't been removed.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We frequently substitute rice for potatoes and, in most cases, it serves quite well, although I will admit that my preference is for potatoes.

Jennifer Graves likes this.
  6. Jennifer Graves

Registered

You are just like my husband. Before I got married I would regularly make rice and gravy, and that would be my entire dinner. I even order plain white rice at Chinese food restaurants. One of my favorite meals used to be white rice and whole kernel corn mixed up with lots of black pepper. But he wants everyone of my recipes with potato added, lol.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I serve rice a couple of times a week; we like rice. The price of Jasmine rice has gotten high at the grocery store so I was thinking of buying from Costco... but, 25 pounds??? I wonder how that would keep in storage. Anyone know about storing jasmine rice? Off to google...

upload_2024-2-5_20-19-59.png

John Nopales likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hmmm, interesting.

"Rice is well-known for its long-lasting shelf life. Depending on the type of rice and its storage conditions, rice can be kept for upwards of three decades. White rice, such as basmati, jasmine, and your standard grocery store rice, can be kept for four to five years if left alone in its original packaging."

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So the 25 lb bag of jasmine rice from Costco would be 88 cents/lb with free 2-day shipping. I'm going to add a bag to my k-cups order. The Fedex guy will be annoyed.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Both Asian and Indian grocery stores are great sources for a wide variety of inexpensive rices.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I never go to those ethnic stores; none are close to where I live.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I sometimes stop by during my weekly ALDI/Kroger trip to Charlottesville. I sometimes go to a Vietnamese restaurant during my monthly urological trips to Richmond, and the owner gave me a list of nearby Asian markets...but I've yet to visit them.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The last time I was in an Asian market was with my oldest son a few years ago. He was a raw foodist for a while (which got on my nerves) so we would go shopping for weird stuff like durian. :eek:

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Regarding brown rice (previous posts), I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like it. I can stand it in some soups but that's about it. I have never liked brown rice.