Rising Costs Of Everything - Food Lines In Ny

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Joy Martin, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm one person and my food bills are up at least $20 and I buy pretty conservatively..

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've noticed the cost of stuff I buy regularly going up 20% or more. I don't buy prepared foods or drinks of any kind (sodas, alcohol, bottled water) and I am shocked at how much my groceries cost just to feed me. My heart breaks for what families are going through.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As I understand it, the real price increases will hit this fall unless they can delay them until after the mid-term elections

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Even if during the Biden administration the oil fields opened up and the supply chain fully managed, at the rate the government is spending money and printing more of it, by 2024 we’ll be paying around double what we were paying in 2020 for nearly everything except gas which as of yet, there really isn’t a point we can call a ceiling.

Bread, eggs and to go the stretch to homes, prices have already doubled in just 2 years.
    I was paying around $2.80 for 2x4 studs and now I’m paying upward of $8.00 - $10.00 ea depending on where I buy them.

One job I am presently doing would have cost the homeowner around $350.00 for materials and labor but is now $900.00.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Gee, don't we all wish food prices, as well as gas prices, were what they were in the early 70's? Of course, today, when food manufacturers have to give descent salaries to their employees, the consumer ends up paying for that.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Yeh, I've noticed that myself. I built my firewood racks a year ago, and the landscape timbers that had been $2.50 for years and years had gone up to a little over $4. I've been doing my punch list on them and bought some more timbers, and now they're north of $5.50

One the Leftists raise the cost of home construction and interest rates so as to prevent new property ownership, they'll find a way to demonize existing homeowners so as to evict us.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

What I am seeing here is a number of investment guys are snatching up homes left and right just to raze them. Our home is actually in Yvonne’s daughter’s name and she’s gotten a bunch of offers but they don’t want the house, just the property it’s sitting on.
    The guy I do a lot of work for has gotten the same offers on 4 of his properties and a couple of other contacts I know have told me the same.

That all said, building here is going crazy so where the money is coming from is anyone’s guess but in my book, if and when things do level out at a normal rate, the properties that are being bought up and built on won’t be worth as much as they are now.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

Gee, don't we all wish food prices, as well as gas prices, were what they were in 2020?

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As far as housing goes, like anything else, you want the word "descent" and it will definitely cost. Many city/county governments approve growth, when it comes to houses/apartments. When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, we absolutely couldn't believe the number of housing developments being build along the I-95 between Jacksonville and St Augustine. But, small business, as well as large one, love the word "growth".

10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

With rising prices and some shortages, I over-buy some things before the price goes higher or they go on shortage again. I did that today at Aldi's. At least gas went down though.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Apparently the U.S. has followed the Europeans in again purchasing Russian oil to clam things at home. It seems that Russia is perhaps winning the "Sanctions War". This has been kept relatively secret to hide the hypocrisy of the policies.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have noticed that most of the Ukraine colored avatars on facebook have already disappeared, and I think that even those people are starting to see what is happening right now, and it has backfired on Biden.
    At first, they were all believing the fake pictures and stories and begging for the US to send money and weapons (and even our military) over there; but then the prices for everything shot up even more, and now we are looking at possible shortages again.
    The edict from Bloomberg that people need to use public transportation, don’t buy meat, eat lentils, and do not even take your pets to the veterinary, has not gone over well at all.
    Even the “do whatever the government says” people are not happy about taking the bus and eating lentil and rice.
    And some places are already putting limits on gasoline. I think that this one might be California, and it says $125 fueling limit.

E2F36F23-3180-4AB7-86A5-4A7FFAD42D66.jpeg

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. John Brunner

I wonder if investors are trying to get ahead of interest rate hikes.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Growth makes housing cheaper. Housing is most expensive where supplies are the most constrained. The more that the number of renters exceeds the number of units, the higher the price goes.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Bobby was down to his last can of coffee this morning, so I thought I should put more on our next walmart order. I just keep adding stuff as i think abut it until we are ready to order and go pick it up.
    However, they had NO McCafe Columbian, which is what Bobby drinks. They didn’t even have it in the shipping only section, and all of the McCafe that they did have, except for the little bags was shipping only.
    Fortunately, Amazon had some, so I ordered the coffee from them.

The last time we went to the store, they were completely out of cabbage, too. Now, it is back in the online order items, but it is almost $1 a lb, and over that for the organic cabbage.
    I think that it is only going to get worse over the summer, and I don’t know what will happen next winter, when even people who don’t need to drive, need to keep their house warm, and the gardens will be over for the summer.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.